What gig did you go to last night? (11 Viewers)

Horse at the Hut.
Electricals first. Solid hefty rock.
Native next. Hm2 crust. Always worth catching.
Grief eater next. First time catching them. So good. Ears were ringing after.
Horse were last. Not seen em in a good few years. Solid noise rock. Good to see them make a rare trip up here.

Went to Alcatrazz/Graham Bonnet the other night.

Arrived just as he walked on stage. He apologised and said he'd done jis back in and had to sit for most of the gig.
Played a bunch of Rainbow and MSG tunes amongst the Alcatrazz ones. The guitar player was some ridiculous Malmsteen type shredder all sweep picking etc, kept whipping his strings with the guitar lead. Found it amusing,but mostly not really my type of playing.
His voice isn't what it once was,but wasn't the worst I've heard.
Glad I went,and would consider seeing him again.

He has since anounced he needs back surgery.

On friday we went to see Ben Elton in the Olympia. It wasn't all good but it was good enough.
All weekend I was working The Dunshaughlin Harvest Festival. I had the "2nd stage" for original bands. I had a very stressfull run up to this.I had 4 bands booked. 3 of them cancelled. They all had their reasons and fair enough. I ended up with 2 bands, The Middle Ages stepped up. We played on Saturday and I hear it was good. I had a band called IF play on Sunday and they were great, reggae/ska vibes. They went down a treat and in the sun at a packed park I couldn't think of a better band. I had a cool little stage set up and the sound was great. Knackered now bu'

On friday we went to see Ben Elton in the Olympia. It wasn't all good but it was good enough.
All weekend I was working The Dunshaughlin Harvest Festival. I had the "2nd stage" for original bands. I had a very stressfull run up to this.I had 4 bands booked. 3 of them cancelled. They all had their reasons and fair enough. I ended up with 2 bands, The Middle Ages stepped up. We played on Saturday and I hear it was good. I had a band called IF play on Sunday and they were great, reggae/ska vibes. They went down a treat and in the sun at a packed park I couldn't think of a better band. I had a cool little stage set up and the sound was great. Knackered now bu'

Sorry about backing out. It was just really bad timing for us

Pere Ubu in the Grand Social. It was wedged, too hot and full of annoying people but the band were great. I initially couldn't see the drummer's head because where I was standing he was behind David Thomas but then I saw the hand movements I knew it was Chris Cutler, one of my very favorite drummers, so that was a cool surprise. He could have been a bit louder but whatever. If he wasn't there I'd probably have left early because the place was agitating me.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Cutler. What a legend. Did you talk to him after? Great man for arguing.

Great to see him drumming with Pere Ubu. Would love to see that. He's got that brisk drum manner that's perfect for them.

Bill Callahan in Vicar Street. Tremendous gig. Band were superb. Great set. New songs sound more engaging live than on record.

Real life swordfighting down the road. these people arent fucking around. this is Ireland vs Wales. I mean really, how does soccer even exist when you can have this.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Horse at the Hut.
Electricals first. Solid hefty rock.
Native next. Hm2 crust. Always worth catching.
Grief eater next. First time catching them. So good. Ears were ringing after.
Horse were last. Not seen em in a good few years. Solid noise rock. Good to see them make a rare trip up here.
Bah, really wanted to go to that.

No chatting or arguing for me. Have you argued with him?

Well, I was talking to Tim Hodgkinson and he sort of butted in. Hodgkinson's personality is extremely mild and pleasant, and we'd been having a chat about Peter Greenaway, and I said something like, "there's no audience for interesting stuff like that anymore. Cinema isn't made for adults anymore." Or something to that effect. It was at that point that Cutler's ram-like head butted in in his sharp, nasally London accent to tell me I "was up a tree." "You're up a tree, mate." He then went on to use Katherine Bigelow's Detroit, which I haven't seen, as the flagship example for his point. "It's like you're really there," he emphatically espoused with characteristic intensity with some gentle, encouraging, almost massaging sounds emitting from Hodgkinson's soothing lips. Anyway minutes later he said, "all the talented people were going into TV" which contradicted his original point, and the tone of our conversation became more agreeable as we concurred about the brilliance of the new Twin Peaks, and he waved me off pleasantly as he went into some restaurant and I went off to some crappy craft beer bar.

Last edited:
Well, I was talking to Tim Hodgkinson and he sort of butted in. Hodgkinson's personality is extremely mild and pleasant, and we'd been having a chat about Peter Greenaway, and I said something like, "there's no audience for interesting stuff like that anymore. Cinema isn't made for adults anymore." Or something to that effect. It was at that point that Cutler's ram-like head butted in in his sharp, nasally London accent to tell me I "was up a tree." "You're up a tree, mate." He then went on to use Katherine Bigelow's Detroit, which I haven't seen, as the flagship example for his point. "It's like you're really there," he emphatically espoused with characteristic intensity with some gentle, encouraging, almost massaging sounds emitting from Hodgkinson's soothing lips. Anyway minutes later he said, "all the talented people were going into TV" which contradicted his original point, and the tone of our conversation became more agreeable as we concurred about the brilliance of the new Twin Peaks, and he waved me off pleasantly as he went into some restaurant and I went off to some crappy craft beer bar.
I'd love that. And what gig were they playing? I have the new Henry Cow biography in my to-read stash, but I have a history of the Balkans to get through first.

I'd love that. And what gig were they playing? I have the new Henry Cow biography in my to-read stash, but I have a history of the Balkans to get through first.

Those two boys play with Yumi Hara as The Watts. They tour Japan every November/December doing the Canterbury songbook and niche workshops. It used to be just Hara and Cutler but last year, Hodgkinson joined.

Good recent interview here with Cutler with characteristic directness and cutting through the bull.

He clearly is not interested in endorsing the new book on Henry Cow.

Those two boys play with Yumi Hara as The Watts. They tour Japan every November/December doing the Canterbury songbook and niche workshops. It used to be just Hara and Cutler but last year, Hodgkinson joined.

Good recent interview here with Cutler with characteristic directness and cutting through the bull.

He clearly is not interested in endorsing the new book on Henry Cow.

Interesting interview. I guess he'll never stop referring to sing lyrics as 'texts'. I thought he was just avoiding claiming credit for the book rather than avoiding giving it an endorsement. He's selling it anyway, I got it from ReR. I hope it reproduces all of the minutes from the weekly band meetings.

Raced into the Olympia last night to see Baroness. I got to my poxy seat as their first song started. They are very good. Played mostly songs from Gold and Grey. Songs sounded better live because, lets face it, the album sounds shite. The bass was still too boomy and they could do with laying off the phasers every now and then. It was all over by 8.30pm. Still glad I went.
Hung around for a little bit considering staying for Volbeat but said fuck it and went home, though not before I met John from Baroness on the street and had a quick chat and a hand shake.
Back to Navan for a pint, then home before anyone had gone to bed. Result.

Users who are viewing this thread

• dudley
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back