What gig did you go to last night? (28 Viewers)

I was there too. I thought some of it was brilliant (basically when Mick Hanley was onstage) but some of the instrumental stuff got a bit tedious. Like, rock session musos playing trad. I found myself thinking that I'd prefer if this was just Lunny, Hanley and Spillane. When it was good, it was really excellent though.

Basically, I would have removed all the people at the back of the stage :)

I was there too. I thought some of it was brilliant (basically when Mick Hanley was onstage) but some of the instrumental stuff got a bit tedious. Like, rock session musos playing trad. I found myself thinking that I'd prefer if this was just Lunny, Hanley and Spillane. When it was good, it was really excellent though.

Basically, I would have removed all the people at the back of the stage :)
Yeah I know, it was a tad noodly and not in a good way here and there. But still. Hanly was great, I wouldn't mind seeing him on his own or with Lunny again.

I Am An Instrument last night - was a brilliant performance from IceBear who I HIGHLY recommend checking out on Saturday at Vintage Rooms in Workmans and then Gavin Prior being a legend as always.

i went to the idles gig the other night. when i was leaving halfway thru i remembered something mark arm once said. "the bigger the crowd, the lower the iq."
glad i got to see rolling blackouts again.

i went to the idles gig the other night. when i was leaving halfway thru i remembered something mark arm once said. "the bigger the crowd, the lower the iq."
Rollins would say similar. In my experience there is truth in it

Really? I thought there was a pretty decent atmosphere at it.
I also missed Rolling Blackouts.
It’s like we had the exact opposite night

Aldous Harding in Iveagh gardens was amazing. Villagers were incredible. A lot of people who seems to be there with no interest in bands which always wrecks my head, but still great.

Dylan/Young at Nowlam Park.

First off Nowlam Park is a complete kip. Whatever enjoyment might be had from the surroundings of Iveagh or Marlay - not happening here. You also can't really see the stage from many points on the pitch. Secondly - organisation was a fiasco. Walked all the way around the outside of the stadium to find the entrance for pitch standing to be told we now had to walk all the way back again. Luckily we ignored this and found the actual entrance 20 yards further on. Arrived just before Neil started so went up the front for his set (will get back to this) and then after decided we needed a pee and a bite to eat. Ended up in a crush to try and get to the toilet (people getting angry, no stewards/whatever in sight) and when the crush eased into a long queue it turns out the end of the queue consisting of lads pissing on the ground. Abandoned this and sat in the stand for 20 minutes to let things settle. Then went for the other toilets which didn't take too long but then spent 45 minutes in a queue to get some food. There were only 6 or 7 food vans in the whole place so every one had a queue of hundreds of people in front of it. End result of all that was that we missed more than half of Dylan's set. Which we watched from the stand. Where the sound was unbelievably atrocious. It seemed to be atrocious everywhere except up the front (where it was just okay).

I mean, it was kind of funny and just served as a reminder of my rule to never attend large outdoor events of this nature in Ireland but I felt bad for the people there for whom this was their only gig of the year. There were old people there (lots of them) who were getting caught in that crush, unable to get to the toilet etc etc. It was beyond shit. Joe Duffy will be on fire at lunchtime I tell ya...

Will talk about the music in another post.

Neil Young was really good. Except for the annoying bass player, Promise Of The Real are an excellent backing band. He played some shit songs (some new ones I don't know, Hank To Hendrix), some predictable crowd pleasers (Old Man, Heart of Gold, Rocking Free World) and some amazing stuff it's always good to hear (Everybody Knows, Cortez, My My Hey Hey and a bunch of tracks from Ragged Glory). He looked great and his shredding was intense. But it was a very similar set to the last few times I've seen him. When you have such an amazing catalogue, could you not mix it up a bit? Like A Hurricane? Powderfinger?

Missed most of Dylan so can't comment much. Arrived in just before a duet with Neil on The Circle Is Unbroken. Which was nice. An almost unrecognisable Like A Rolling Stone followed - which the crowd did their best to sing along to. Highlight was a beautiful version of Sick Of Love which, I suppose because it's relatively recent, sounded very much like the recorded version. Absolutely no pandering to the demands of playing in front of 40,000 people or whatever. We had a deal that we would leave if he did Blowing In The Wind as an encore. He did, though it took us 3 minutes to recognise it. So we left.

Did Neil do a solo tune on the big organ or has he stopped that? I still haven't got over the time he played Mother Earth on it.

No. There was an old honky tonk piano on stage but it wasn't used. He possibly didn't do Mother Earth because he knew even that would not be long enough to get to the toilet and back.

Dylan/Young at Nowlam Park.

First off Nowlam Park is a complete kip. Whatever enjoyment might be had from the surroundings of Iveagh or Marlay - not happening here. You also can't really see the stage from many points on the pitch. Secondly - organisation was a fiasco. Walked all the way around the outside of the stadium to find the entrance for pitch standing to be told we now had to walk all the way back again. Luckily we ignored this and found the actual entrance 20 yards further on. Arrived just before Neil started so went up the front for his set (will get back to this) and then after decided we needed a pee and a bite to eat. Ended up in a crush to try and get to the toilet (people getting angry, no stewards/whatever in sight) and when the crush eased into a long queue it turns out the end of the queue consisting of lads pissing on the ground. Abandoned this and sat in the stand for 20 minutes to let things settle. Then went for the other toilets which didn't take too long but then spent 45 minutes in a queue to get some food. There were only 6 or 7 food vans in the whole place so every one had a queue of hundreds of people in front of it. End result of all that was that we missed more than half of Dylan's set. Which we watched from the stand. Where the sound was unbelievably atrocious. It seemed to be atrocious everywhere except up the front (where it was just okay).

I mean, it was kind of funny and just served as a reminder of my rule to never attend large outdoor events of this nature in Ireland but I felt bad for the people there for whom this was their only gig of the year. There were old people there (lots of them) who were getting caught in that crush, unable to get to the toilet etc etc. It was beyond shit. Joe Duffy will be on fire at lunchtime I tell ya...

Will talk about the music in another post.

Yes but Kilkenny won their away game so everything was a 100% success

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back