MORRISSEY IS GOD (1 Viewer)

He enjoys things on a purely aesthetic level, is completely asexual unless the person looks like him, and all his flimsy political opinions are held because you told him it wasn't ok to say it. Morrissey is Trump.

Nick Cave on Morrissey

People in glass houses etc....

I still love Morrissey. It's complicated.
Morrissey has been a self-obsessed inward looking racist granny since the year dot but gotta respect people who stick by him for the art of it. Its like being a James Brown fan.

Morrissey has been a self-obsessed inward looking racist granny since the year dot but gotta respect people who stick by him for the art of it. Its like being a James Brown fan.
Haha! In my heart, I genuinely don't believe him to be a racist, but I never thought it would get this hard to stick by him, but I'm well-trained, I have been a Woody Allen fan since I was in Convent School :sneaky:

Is Morriseey actually racist or wha? I'm just confused at this stage.
I personally don't think he is - but he seems to be hurtling evermore into 'problematic figure' territory. I started loving him when I was 13. So I can't pretend to be objective. It's complicated for me. So I'm best sitting out of this one.

I'm experiencing an urge to read his novel and I don't even particularly like his music apart from a few songs
I can't tell you that the novel is good. But I can tell you that Autobiography has some majestic moments, particularly the early part, the way he writes about his childhood - really beautiful.

I think he's just gone full privileged uncle with ill thought our opinions.

He might be at the rolling stones stage where all the fans have paid off their mortgages and can shell out for 200eu tickets and maybe they find him relatable.

His lyrics were great when he was young, kinda cant stomach him present day.

I think he's just gone full privileged uncle with ill thought our opinions.

He might be at the rolling stones stage where all the fans have paid off their mortgages and can shell out for 200eu tickets and maybe they find him relatable.

His lyrics were great when he was young, kinda cant stomach him present day.
Well that's fair enough. However, I'm a renter, in my thirties, and his last concert in the Point wasn't too bad - 70euros, and as corny as it sounds, he's saved my life a few times, so I'll forever be indebted. And he was excellent. His lyrics are what I relate to. And I love him. He has become divisive, but perhaps it was always meant to be this way.

He wrote some good songs in the past, but he's long past it now. These days he lives a life hardly any of us can relate to and he should stop trying to get attention.
Promoting Britain First is very stupid and it just indicates he's not very clever. They're an awful group of people and proudly associating yourself with them shows that he cares little about the people Britain First are seeking to demonise. Just because he wrote the lyrics to This Charming Man or Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now doesn't mean he's some sort of sage.

He wrote some good songs in the past, but he's long past it now. These days he lives a life hardly any of us can relate to and he should stop trying to get attention.
Promoting Britain First is very stupid and it just indicates he's not very clever. They're an awful group of people and proudly associating yourself with them shows that he cares little about the people Britain First are seeking to demonise. Just because he wrote the lyrics to This Charming Man or Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now doesn't mean he's some sort of sage.
We will just have to agree to disagree on much of it - I agree that it is ill-judged to support a political party like For Britain, but then again, Morrissey has never voted. He's a contrarian in so many aspects of his life. I don't think he's 'past it' at all. Or a 'sage', but he is an incredible lyricist. Anyway, that's my two cents, and there are many more cents, but in all honesty, this is a dialogue I have had so many times the last many months, and I am TIRED. Also, when I tried to login again to Thumped just there, it kept saying 'BAD GATEWAY', so it's time to sign off :)

Britain First is a dangerous group which supports, be it implicitly or explicitly, violence against people, predominantly people being identified as Islamic. The corollary of this is violence against anyone who doesn't look "British". They are whispering in the ears of people who beat up black and Asian people in Britain. That's all you need to know about them.

By openly supporting them and encouraging people to join him in his support, which Morrissey is doing, can't be labelled as ill-judged. It's profoundly stupid and dangerous. Morrissey knows he has a large audience and he knows what he says is taken seriously by people.

He doesn't have to say he supports them. As far as I can tell he's only doing this to get people to talk about him. Trying to legitimise a far-right group to generate controversy and publicity is just disgraceful.

Edit: To add to this... Morrissey is making the headline "I support Britain First" and then demands people read more in to what he's saying, trying to imply this is a reasonable position. It's not and trying to draw people in to this kind of discussion, where far-right groups are being legitimised is a waste of time and energy. Sometimes things are simple: one of those is groups like Britain First are bad and there's no grey area or debates to be had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back