Keiji Haino (1 Viewer)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Surprisingly, I haven’t abandoned this project. I’ve started doing #FushitsushaFriday posts, linking to videos, articles, and audio recordings of The Greatest Rock Band in the World. Today’s one is a link to the brilliant long exposure photo of the mighty Fush that @hugh took at their Dublin show.

Oh cheers! Your Haino explorations are about the only thing that has ever tempted me to sign up to Twitter.

Right, I've never actually listened to Haino. But I've seen him live a few times in various combinations.

First encounter:
In a "sound art" trio with Jim O'Rourke and Oren Ambarchi. This is pretty much what you'd expect, although Haino keeps the antics to a minimum. Interesting abstract stuff that I'm not really sure I need to leave the house to enjoy in a live setting.

Second encounter:
Right, this was much more engaging. At an event for P.S.F Records. Duo with Kazuo Imai. Guitar duo. Begins with an a cappella from Haino. His voice is actually quite beautiful. And it doesn't prepare you for what's coming - Haino and Imai absolutely ripping the shit out of their guitars for about forty minutes. This was easily the most enjoyable Haino performance. Imai is a pretty ragged guitarist, so it was good fit some off-the-hook guitar mayhem.

Third encounter:
Fushitsusha doing their Christmas thing. This was about four hours long with a breather in between. I was expecting the master cello player/bassist Yasumune Morishige on bass, but he had departed the Fushitsusha picture. Some guy in tight pants replaced him. Opening gambit was cool, juggernaut groove built around the bass. This was an exercise in endurance and fatigue. Apparently he used to do these Christmas specials until about six in the morning...

Fourth encounter:
Playing drums in a duo with Peter Brotzmann. Jesus wept. This was a spoof and a robbery of the highest order. You expect the camera to cut to that jazz show character from The Fast Show every time Haino makes his drumkit fall apart. Not sure what the intention was here, and how Brotzmann feels all about this. It sort of set a jokey, irreverent mood which was impossible to dispel for the trio that followed - Heather Leigh, Brotzmann and Haino. Maybe it's a Japanese idea - light laughter before the more intense drama unfolds.

Anecdotal:

Apparently Brotzmann told Haino at some Cafe Oto show to stop playing that stupid toy instrument he was playing.

Another performance with Masami Tada of the band Marginal Consort - during the performance Tada allegedly took off Haino's iconic sunglasses. Haino's response to this was to stop playing and lie down flat on the floor, thus terminating the performance.

Anyway, he's obviously talented and carries a lot of conviction, but he's also a bit of an unruly stunt merchant.

Right, I've never actually listened to Haino. But I've seen him live a few times in various combinations.

First encounter:
In a "sound art" trio with Jim O'Rourke and Oren Ambarchi. This is pretty much what you'd expect, although Haino keeps the antics to a minimum. Interesting abstract stuff that I'm not really sure I need to leave the house to enjoy in a live setting.

Second encounter:
Right, this was much more engaging. At an event for P.S.F Records. Duo with Kazuo Imai. Guitar duo. Begins with an a cappella from Haino. His voice is actually quite beautiful. And it doesn't prepare you for what's coming - Haino and Imai absolutely ripping the shit out of their guitars for about forty minutes. This was easily the most enjoyable Haino performance. Imai is a pretty ragged guitarist, so it was good fit some off-the-hook guitar mayhem.

Third encounter:
Fushitsusha doing their Christmas thing. This was about four hours long with a breather in between. I was expecting the master cello player/bassist Yasumune Morishige on bass, but he had departed the Fushitsusha picture. Some guy in tight pants replaced him. Opening gambit was cool, juggernaut groove built around the bass. This was an exercise in endurance and fatigue. Apparently he used to do these Christmas specials until about six in the morning...

Fourth encounter:
Playing drums in a duo with Peter Brotzmann. Jesus wept. This was a spoof and a robbery of the highest order. You expect the camera to cut to that jazz show character from The Fast Show every time Haino makes his drumkit fall apart. Not sure what the intention was here, and how Brotzmann feels all about this. It sort of set a jokey, irreverent mood which was impossible to dispel for the trio that followed - Heather Leigh, Brotzmann and Haino. Maybe it's a Japanese idea - light laughter before the more intense drama unfolds.

Anecdotal:

Apparently Brotzmann told Haino at some Cafe Oto show to stop playing that stupid toy instrument he was playing.

Another performance with Masami Tada of the band Marginal Consort - during the performance Tada allegedly took off Haino's iconic sunglasses. Haino's response to this was to stop playing and lie down flat on the floor, thus terminating the performance.

Anyway, he's obviously talented and carries a lot of conviction, but he's also a bit of an unruly stunt merchant.
I’m particularly jealous right now.

You’re totally right, even though he can hit the mark hard there are also moments where he’s way off and you have to wonder is he taking the piss? And if he isn’t then what was he thinking?

There are some great recordings with Brötzmann, some of them are surprisingly gentle. There’s a trio live recording with Shoji Hano which is good and an epic 3CD album with Fushitsusha that is great but doesn’t have enough Brötzmann.

I’m particularly jealous right now.

You’re totally right, even though he can hit the mark hard there are also moments where he’s way off and you have to wonder is he taking the piss? And if he isn’t then what was he thinking?

There are some great recordings with Brötzmann, some of them are surprisingly gentle. There’s a trio live recording with Shoji Hano which is good and an epic 3CD album with Fushitsusha that is great but doesn’t have enough Brötzmann.

Shoji Hano doesn't ring any bells at all... I saw Brotzmann with the exuberant percussionist Sabu Toyozumi, [one of the most joyous musicians to watch - awesome facial expressions and movement, it's like the drums are a set of unruly horses he's trying to command into movement from his coachman's seat] but with Toshinori Kondo's trumpet feedback machine which marred the performance a bit.

Brotzmann plays here a lot... I think he comes to record quite a bit.

Kazuo Imai trio? He came up from the Taj Mahal Travellers school. The guy who plays the optron, in the trio, Ito Atushiro is gaining in cult status lately.

Oh, there was another one

He played live with SUMAC. That was savage, but SUMAC were unreal before doing their own stuff, it was a tough act to follow - but worked as a nice unhinged coda to proceedings.

I have been ignoring this account for a while but finally got around to doing new content, and I've been updating it daily for the past week or so.

I just saw Don Bolles from the Germs and Ariel Pink had him up in his FB story. No context given. Haino just surfaces anywhere and everywhere like an impregnable fog adorned in wraparounds.

I just saw Don Bolles from the Germs and Ariel Pink had him up in his FB story. No context given. Haino just surfaces anywhere and everywhere like an impregnable fog adorned in wraparounds.
I think he's doing a gig in LA tonight or last night, and that label Black Editions have organised a gallery of photos and art from the PSF/90s Japanese scene.

I didn't realise that was a live stream, I just thought it was a poster for a gig in Japan or something (brain's running slow, WHAT GIGS?). I wonder if it's archived anywhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back