Your work situation (8 Viewers)

What happened?

This was back in the days of having to sign on weekly. You were assigned a day (between Tuesday & Thursday) & time to sign on, based on your surname. But every unemployed traveller had to sign on at the same time on the same day - 11:30am on Thursdays.

It was total chaos, all in the name of “reducing fraud” - the logic being a. They’re all at it, and b. You can’t sign on at two offices if you’ve to be in both at the same time, right?

These days we’d probably call it institutional racism but back then it was just how you had to deal with “them”.

This was back in the days of having to sign on weekly. You were assigned a day (between Tuesday & Thursday) & time to sign on, based on your surname. But every unemployed traveller had to sign on at the same time on the same day - 11:30am on Thursdays.

It was total chaos, all in the name of “reducing fraud” - the logic being a. They’re all at it, and b. You can’t sign on at two offices if you’ve to be in both at the same time, right?

These days we’d probably call it institutional racism but back then it was just how you had to deal with “them”.
I was in the GPO once years ago when this happened. There's about 20 teller desks in there and they closed all but 3.

I lol'd when I saw that the security guards in the GPO wore the same uniforms as postmen.

10000% all tech companies are trash, like there's no two ways about it.
Ah c'mon. You could be a lot more morally questionable stuff than working in most run-of-the-mill tech places. When I worked in the commercial tech world I was a bit unhappy that the ultimate fruit of my labour was more money for some fucker in a suit ... but, y'know, you can say that about any profit-making business and you could be doing a lot worse.

Now that I'm working for pretty much the only well-known tech organisation that's on the side of good I feel pretty smug about being one of the good guys

Ah c'mon. You could be a lot more morally questionable stuff than working in most run-of-the-mill tech places. When I worked in the commercial tech world I was a bit unhappy that the ultimate fruit of my labour was more money for some fucker in a suit ... but, y'know, you can say that about any profit-making business and you could be doing a lot worse.

Now that I'm working for pretty much the only well-known tech organisation that's on the side of good I feel pretty smug about being one of the good guys
I left a multinational to go and work in a startup. And though we may be about to take on a client I'd rather we didn't, it's much more rewarding to work in a place where everything everyone does, matters, and you're appreciated for it.

I'll probably go back to a multi for the last few years of working, if I can, cos of the benefits. Not gonna be doing that anytime soon though.

I left a multinational to go and work in a startup. And though we may be about to take on a client I'd rather we didn't, it's much more rewarding to work in a place where everything everyone does, matters, and you're appreciated for it.

I'll probably go back to a multi for the last few years of working, if I can, cos of the benefits. Not gonna be doing that anytime soon though.

^ Yeah this is more or less my longterm plan, if I don't get really famous for one of the creative things I've been saying I'll do for years and not done a bit of.

I'm breaking my bollix to ensure that as much as possible is closed out, handed over or setup before I go. all I'm getting is grief and more people coming to me expecting miracles.

I

Although its very sound to do as much handover as you can before you go, sometimes its more trouble than its worth and no one thanks you for it. I always try to write out everything I do in procedures in a big doc and just gtfo.

My manager landed with me with updating Japanese text in a course. I have to copy it from a word doc and make a best guess as to where it goes in an html file. Deadline imminent, awkward client. I've been at it all day and my head is wrecked. Not helped by my manager's frequent interruptions with updates on how the pub quiz he's devising for Thursday is going.

My manager landed with me with updating Japanese text in a course. I have to copy it from a word doc and make a best guess as to where it goes in an html file. Deadline imminent, awkward client. I've been at it all day and my head is wrecked. Not helped by my manager's frequent interruptions with updates on how the pub quiz he's devising for Thursday is going.

cc @old

Users who are viewing this thread

• G
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back