Record Store Day (1 Viewer)

therealjohnny

Supporter
Solutions
http://www.recordstoreday.com/

On Saturday, April 19, 2008, hundreds of independently owned music stores across the country* will celebrate “Record Store Day.”

America that is

some random quotes from various popstars

Ian Gillan (Deep Purple)

"Buy real records in real shops, or I'll come round your house and scream at your mother."

Bruce Springsteen (The Boss)

"I buy CDs all the time. I'll go into a record store and just buy $500 worth of CDs. I will! I am singlehandedly supporting what's left of the record business."

Joan Jett

“The indie record stores are the backbone of the recorded music culture. It's where we go to network, browse around, and find new songs to love. The stores whose owners and staff live for music have spread the word about exciting new things faster and with more essence than either radio or the press. Any artist that doesn't support the wonderful ma and pa record stores across America is contributing to our own extinction.”

Road Records are having loads of in-stores on saturday 19th for this.

I'm playing at 12.30 if anyone is around. Dave Kitt is playing and so are the Spook, Pugwash and crayonsmith.

Numero Group said:
Unwieldy Grip-and-Bitch Fest 2018

Numerophiles-
Over the past decade we’ve had an on-again, off-again relationship with Record Store Day. What started off as a clever way to support independent shops during a physical and sonic recession has blown up into an unwieldy grip-and-bitch fest. Lines, fights, flippers, backed up pressing plants, stock shorts, stocking and pricing at 4am the morning of, and that inevitable mark down bin filled with all manner of wasted petroleum and bad ideas. If you’ve ever walked into a record store on the third Saturday in April you know the drag of which we speak. The only people who are really happy are the major record companies who continue to prop the whole charade up with overpriced singles and needless pic discs. The stores make their nut and keep the lights on for another year. Rinse and repeat.
It would be a lie to say that Numero has not benefited from this hysteria, as stores have generously brought in our left field wares with full knowledge that they wouldn’t be the must buy of the day. We’ve always strived to manufacture records that would find their audience well after the shop closed.WTNG was panned so hard upon issue, and for years copies sat sealed in RSD leftovers bins. Store owners called it our worst release ever, some returned them, and more than a few times— while trawling the used and cut-out bins looking to fill out our own collections and future compilations, bought heavily-discounted, still-sealed copies to later resell for subzero profit. But through the lens of time, the album has become a classic in the Sausalito-cum-Yacht school of mixes. Songs by Caroline Peyton, Greenflow, Timothy, Archie James Cavanaugh have soundtrackedHigh Maintenance, Broad City, and Magic Mike. Whatever sweat was spilled by disgruntled shop owners over those unsold albums has been forgotten.
For the sake of argument, go ahead and count the number of classic records issued on Record Store Day. (We’ll Wait.) Are there more than a dozen? Unlikely, because at its core RSD is a marketing event designed to generate traffic by pushing manufactured rarities that scrape off the chaff from deluxe edition CD bonus material and flaunt their first-time-on-wax status while remaining no less unessential, not a day to celebrate the best this backwards industry has to offer. And that’s something we just can’t hang with. Record stores need customers that understand that every day is Record Store Day, and record labels need to create crackerjack titles that—in the words of Ahmet Ertegun, “move the listener to such an extent that he or she has to get up out of bed, walk ten blocks, borrow twenty dollars from a friend and run to an all-night shop to buy the record to hear it again.

I went to my first, and probably last record store day in 2017. Didn't really like it TBH, but I wanted to check it out. The queuing, the crowds, alot of people who were only there to buy shit to flip online...ugh. Its not for me. & so much of the rsd releases are...IMHO overpriced padded out filler.
I just looked through the 2018 list, I can see one record I might get, depending on the price.. I might have a look on Sunday.

I wouldn't mind getting the Belly, Prince and Lovely Eggs releases this year.

But in all honesty i'll settle for none of them as well.

I went to my first, and probably last record store day in 2017. Didn't really like it TBH, but I wanted to check it out. The queuing, the crowds, alot of people who were only there to buy shit to flip online...ugh. Its not for me. & so much of the rsd releases are...IMHO overpriced padded out filler.
I just looked through the 2018 list, I can see one record I might get, depending on the price.. I might have a look on Sunday.

I went once myself but I was going to a gig that evening anyway. Lykke li followed by Steve mason (who i was seeing later) playing in tower records.

I wouldn't go if there were not a reason to be in Dublin anyway

I've a long list of records that i've been buying as spare money emerges, so i guess this isn't really aimed at me.

Also, there is no record store* in galway any more.

*there kinda is, but its the mainstream reissue vynils type where everything is a classic for 30 euro.

Find buying direct from artist is slightly expensive but also more rewardinger.

Might ramble up to Tower at lunchtime and see what's leftover. There's 2 RSD releases I want. I bet they got neither in in the first place

FUCK RECORD STORE DAY

I had a look around on Sunday. As usual there was still plenty of RSD product left.
I got the one thing I was after, the mono pressing of Pink Floyd Piper at the gates of dawn.

Popped over there at lunchtime. Don't know how much stock they had in on saturday but it looks like a bunch of 'safe' stuff left. Loads of Bowies, Neil Youngs, etc

I got the Girls Names release, which was one of the only 2 I wanted. The other was the new Tim Burgess album, which I'm kind of disgusted he gave an RSD pre-release of. He was moaning on twitter last night that people were trying to flip it for huge money on ebay. What the fuck did he expect. Incidentally, the Girls Names album was in the Girls Names section - not down with the other RSD stuff.

Also picked up the Sufjan 10", a Snapped Ankles 12" and the new Courtney Barnett single (which I don't think is an RSD).

They still had a load of that Pink Floyd release that prefuse mentioned. Already have 3 copies of the album. Fucked if I'm paying 40 quid for another copy.

Either which way, RSD done for another year and good fucking riddance to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back