the fantasy holiday thread (1 Viewer)

Mournes---sounds sad
giphy.gif

I've just booked three weeks off work in April/May for my fantasy holiday in Iran. I might book flights tonight, hopefully I can afford it.
When are you off? I've heard amazing things about Iran. Friendliest country in the world by all accounts. Don't stay to long in Tehran. Not because it's dangerous, just boring. Supposedly.

When are you off? I've heard amazing things about Iran. Friendliest country in the world by all accounts. Don't stay to long in Tehran. Not because it's dangerous, just boring. Supposedly.
I'm there right now, it's amazing! Tehran is alright, nicer than I expected, but yeah, best not to let too much time pass by there. So far the rest is more interesting and beautiful. People are really nice but their driving is terrifying.

Having no clue what to do for holidays after a heavy lead up to them in work I ended up jumping on a mostly unplanned trip around eastern europe with a colleague. Was full sure there'd be bother with my general needing a few hours alone per day vibe but it turned out great. Poland/ukraine/moldova/romania/hungary via hostels and night trains doing some out doors stuff, some culture and loads of food. Best time/trip in years. Just landing home* now

*Direct to bar

Moldova?! How was that? Did you make it to Transnistria?

The capital wasn't up to much, though if you've never seen post communism then it would be really interesting. Transinistainia was too much for the schedule. We'd a great day at old orhei, we hiked sorta the wrong way, everything was closed and then spotted one of the cave monks on a cliff ledge and he waved us to climb round into the monastery. I'm not religious though my colleague is but they are certainly serene lads with a smile and a welcome. On the train there from ukraine we'd no local money for food so we just handed 20eu to the guy in the food cart and he busted out a bottle of contreau and a dinner for us and we got lamped on the train, becoming irish train celebrities in the process. We went to the park in the city considering a swim and instead took photos of dead floating fish. Looks like a top drawer cycling country, not so much a city break.

I'm going to Iran for 3 weeks later in the month, or at least i am if my boss ever confirms I can have the time off. I've bought a ticket anyway.

I was browsing around the travel section in Easons a few weeks ago and i noticed that the lonely planet guide to West Africa was a lot thinner than the edition I had 10 years ago. It seems a few of the countries I visited then are considered mostly off limits now (Mali, Mauritania, Niger) and only need a page or two to say "Don't go". Burkina Faso also seems to be getting a bit dodgy :-(

I'm going to Iran for 3 weeks later in the month, or at least i am if my boss ever confirms I can have the time off. I've bought a ticket anyway.

I was browsing around the travel section in Easons a few weeks ago and i noticed that the lonely planet guide to West Africa was a lot thinner than the edition I had 10 years ago. It seems a few of the countries I visited then are considered mostly off limits now (Mali, Mauritania, Niger) and only need a page or two to say "Don't go". Burkina Faso also seems to be getting a bit dodgy :-(
We didn't consider it because of Ebola at the time. Didn't realise so much was still off limits?

I'm going to New York on Friday to see Superchunk.

Any good guitar pedal shops to recommend?

In Manhattan 30th st guitars, who are actually on 27th St now 30th Street Guitars - NYC Guitar Repair .

And a few blocks away is rogue music who mostly do synths but also have some pedals but in any case is well worth a look around for a gawp and the lovely vintage gear. Rogue Music Store - We buy and sell used musical equipment - New stuff too!

Further downtown Rick Kelly's shop on Carmine St is terrific, he's a telecaster know all who build's his own bespoke teles, Lou Reed played his guitars. I once ran into Lenny Kaye in his store. Rick Kelly - Custom Guitars - NYC

If you're in Brooklyn Southside guitars on Grand St in/near Williamsburg is cool. It's actually the one I've been in most recently (October), the rest it's been a number of years since I was there. SOUTHSIDE GUITARS | 303 GRAND ST. BROOKLYN NY 11211

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back