What gig did you go to last night? (12 Viewers)

Went to see Dan Reed upstairs in Whelan's last night. I was a one-man-and-his-guitar gig. I liked it, can't say I loved it or anything but glad I went. The best part of the night for me was surprising my great mates with a round of drinks... I NEVER buy rounds or get involved in rounds situations, this wasn't one.

St.Vincent (the saturday gig). I concur with what the friday crowd said in whatever other thread they were posting in. It was great. It shouldn't have worked, but it did.

I went last night as well. First gig I've been to in ages. Really impressed. Kind of a different presentation than your typical indie pop/rock gig. A multi media experience. The lack of live band was a bit of a concern but with the visuals & her being such an assured performer it worked out perfectly. Annie is the real deal. She's one of the few in this genre that can do this.

The Middle Ages in Navan on Saturday night.
We played the 13 songs on the set list.... then turned the page and saw there was another 15 still to go. Awesome. It was more a presentation of a body of work than a gig. Enjoyed the eff out of it.

Donny McCaslin Group in the NCH. They were nuts, brilliant. Obviously I only bought a ticket because of the Bowie connection, but everything was great. Jazz drummer, amazing, big cool dude with a hideous man bun on bass, outstanding, piano/synth player, like they had nils frahm in the group. The only Bowie they played was Art Decade, which was utterly amazing. Piano dude was working the knobs and buttons like Eno himself. That we didn't get to see Bowie play with these guys is really cruel.

Donny came across as a solid dude too. Well worth 20 quid if anyone is in belfast tonight.

And I was at the Darkness a couple of weeks ago, and they were class too. Outrageous riffage.

I was at Donny McCaslin too, and I agree it was excellent. The sound wasn't great though, a bit shrill in general, piano was inaudible
Where were you sitting? We were in the aisle seats in roughly the middle of the room, could hear everything really well. Wish I had of stayed back to get some stuff signed.

Last edited:
I went to see Syd Arthur. I'd heard the name but I didn't really know much of their music. Had a quick listen on line & decided to go see em. Good band, I liked them. The singer has a good voice & they do some nice spacey jams.

Hall & Oates

Some craic all the same. A few interesting music-y bits going on between them hidden behind all the non-stop hits.

Hall & Oates

Some craic all the same. A few interesting music-y bits going on between them hidden behind all the non-stop hits.

When did all those great pop bands start to die off? (I don't mean die literally) Late 80s, early 90s?
Y'know, proper bands that wrote & performed great pop music. Songs with chord changes, melody, harmony, cool baselines & instrumental hooks, not just 4 bar loops & gimmicky "topline" . Hall & Oates, Blondie, the cars, madness, Duran Duran, squeeze, Huey Lewis, prefab sprout,
ect....ect....

I'm sounding old again

Last edited:
I went to BNQT in the Button Factory on Thursday. They were excellent and played the songs for which their own bands are known for. The turn out was very small considering who was was stage. The band seemed to be really enjoying themselves with lots of friendly banter

I was at London grammar in the Olympia on Wednesday night. It was good but a couple of annoyance:

- it seemed only interaction with audience was about how Irish crowds are the best. I wonder what they say elsewhere, must not have any interactions with the crowd.

What was with the 50 minutes from end of support act and their set?
This meant I had to leave at the end of oh man, oh woman to get my bus home.

Seemed very long.

The support act was lo moon, they were ok but their drummer was very good

I went to BNQT in the Button Factory on Thursday. They were excellent and played the songs for which their own bands are known for. The turn out was very small considering who was was stage. The band seemed to be really enjoying themselves with lots of friendly banter
in fairness that possibly reflects how little promotion was done, again, considering who was in the band.

I really wanted to go to this, but couldn't. I'm not surprised the crowd was small and I don't think it'd have taken much more effort to fill the place .

in fairness that possibly reflects how little promotion was done, again, considering who was in the band.

I really wanted to go to this, but couldn't. I'm not surprised the crowd was small and I don't think it'd have taken much more effort to fill the place .

The first I heard of that gig was from a friend in London raving about the one there a few days before last Thursday, I'd have gone if I'd known about it.

When did all those great pop bands start to die off? (I don't mean die literally) Late 80s, early 90s?
Y'know, proper bands that wrote & performed great pop music. Songs with chord changes, melody, harmony, cool baselines & instrumental hooks, not just 4 bar loops & gimmicky "topline" . Hall & Oates, Blondie, the cars, madness, Duran Duran, squeeze, Huey Lewis, prefab sprout,
ect....ect....

I'm sounding old again
My theories:

a) The rise of the MACHINES: i.e. the rise of drum-machines and the ability to do everything yourself in the studio at an increasingly low price meant there's less need to get a band together and find a sound. You can now just jump into your laptop with half an idea and knock a song together and get it out on the internet immediately.

b) Discos/clubs: sound improvements since the mid 70's or so meant that there's less need to have loads of house bands, which would often be very young people learning their stagecraft (so to speak), this again feeds into the lack of a need for bands.

c) putting the two above together and you have a situation where the gatekeepers to expensive studios are removed along with it the need for studios to even have house bands of skilled musicians. So why bother learning an instrument or forming a band?

d) Nirvana and grunge kicked away so much of the 80's (synths/drum machines) in rock music that bands that would fall into this category from the 90's have a more limited sound. Think Green Day or the Foo Fighters - total hit machines if you put together a 20 year long best of but they never really changed their sound away from that "we are a rock band who play guitars, bass and drums" format.

e) There's no Top of the Pops / BBC centralised hub of culture anymore - the internet did away with that. As a result people didn't need to write hit songs that could broadly crossover to a whole country, they instead lean into the eccentricities of their sound. I think this is especially true in hip-hop which also has been the dominant pop artform for 20 odd years now. Spotify has recently enough become a new central hub and people are now writing songs specifically for the Spotify format but it's early days yet.

f) Well, someone like the Killers kind of fits the bill of a modern Cars/Duran. They're a band who been having consistent song-driven hits now for 15 years and their sound has changed a fair bit as tastes have changed. They don't especially release good albums but a singles collection would be very strong.

g) except of course that compilations are largely dead so there's no need to bring together a string of hit songs when a playlist will do the job.

h) Max Martin doesn't tour and started having hits in 1998 I think. So there's your date.

sincerely,
Lili Lefsetz

Last edited:
Did they play any Travis songs? My sympathies if so.

Users who are viewing this thread

• rettucs
  • dudley
  • chris d
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back