I'm going to buy a record player................... (1 Viewer)

Have a look through the mini-amplifiers boy racers use. Cheap but sound excellent when paired with a proper pair of speakers. You'll find they all have basic equalizer (treble/bass knobs) options, unlike the Aliexpress one that just has a volume knob.

Amazon product ASIN

edit: something wrong with amazon links.

c&P:
Code:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=lepai+amplifier

Just browsed this Lepai Stereo Amplifier For Sale in Bray, Wicklow from druma

More concerned that the signal from amp will be to much for makeshift speaker set up. Don't want any blown speakers/amp/ or electrical fires....
These things go for less than €20 on Amazon. They're fun if you are handy with electrics as they need tweaking, but are only 20 watts. You'd be better off buying a proper amp if it's your only one.

So still stuck. Ended up getting pair of Behringer Ms40 speakers plus Ion bass speaker. Turntable has rca outputs (red & white) Ion has stereo jack imput. Ms40 has rca and/or stereo imputs. Had been splitting sign via cables (one male to two female). Worked, but didn't sound great. Got that small power amp, but it has fucking Banana plug type jack's at back.

that looks kind of sweet. How much did it set you back?
€266 delivered from Richer Sounds. They have it for €299, but I ordered it in sterling for the winning. Delivered in less than 24 hours.

Haven't opened the box yet. Don't think the tonearm can be adjusted or anything like that, but I'm looking for simplicity right now.

So still stuck. Ended up getting pair of Behringer Ms40 speakers plus Ion bass speaker. Turntable has rca outputs (red & white) Ion has stereo jack imput. Ms40 has rca and/or stereo imputs. Had been splitting sign via cables (one male to two female). Worked, but didn't sound great. Got that small power amp, but it has fucking Banana plug type jack's at back.

you can get rca to banana plug adapters

http://amzn.to/2hagvrR

am still considering getting a turntable. turntable plus phono stage would set me back maybe 400 quid, but that's gonna be dwarfed by the actual cost of vinyl. and that's on top of the probable cost of replacing my headphones too, which won't be cheap. why do things cost money?

€266 delivered from Richer Sounds. They have it for €299, but I ordered it in sterling for the winning. Delivered in less than 24 hours.

Haven't opened the box yet. Don't think the tonearm can be adjusted or anything like that, but I'm looking for simplicity right now.

Let me know how the speakers are, can you crank them?

I have bought a PIONEER A20 Amplifier and WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.1 Speakers.
can anyone please tell me what BANANA PLUGS i need on the speaker cables ?

i bought Sewell Silverback Banana Plugs but they don't fit the amp (i removed the caps from the speaker terminals on the amplifier) and don't fit the speakers.

i connected the amplifier to my old AIWA speakers by tightening the bare wire from the speaker cable into the amplifier terminal but there was a lot of distortion (i was playing a Kraftwerk record !). you only heard the distortion when music was playing.
through my old AIWA stereo those AIWA speakers sound fine....

is the lack of information on caps/bungs on the speaker terminals on amplifiers due
to EU safety rules ? there is nothing about Banana plugs in owner manuals.

without the internet i wouldn't even have got this far - i didn't have a clue before..

anyway if anyone can tell me what Banana Plugs are needed or what caused the
distortion on the old speakers, i' would be very grateful - Thank You !

I don't know anything about this stuff, but I thought banana plugs were standard? i remember having a bit of trouble (can't remember the specifics, sorry) getting them into my Onkyo amp but they worked in the end...

I'm not an electrician or an engineer but don't speakers have to be matched to the amplifier? If the resistance (measured in ohms) is too high on one or the other (I forget which), there will be issues (I'm guessing distortion).

As for the plugs, take a picture of the sockets and the plug that won't fit in beside each other, should be easy enough to identify what they need to be.

hi cheers - I don't know how to upload photos - never did it. notice I have no avatar !
I'll try to pin someone down to help upload photos as I don't have a smart phone.
both sets of speakers I mentioned are 6 ohms.
the standard banana plugs I tried were too big. other types are thinner.
there seems to be several types of stereo speaker plugs. the other types I've
seen don't have the 'banana look'.
BFA plugs are the only other type I can find a generic name for.
Banana plugs are used the vast majority of the time though.
i was chancing my arm hoping someone else would have same the equipment I have.
anyway thanks, hopefully i'll get back to you.

hi cheers - I don't know how to upload photos - never did it. notice I have no avatar !
I'll try to pin someone down to help upload photos as I don't have a smart phone.
both sets of speakers I mentioned are 6 ohms.
the standard banana plugs I tried were too big. other types are thinner.
there seems to be several types of stereo speaker plugs. the other types I've
seen don't have the 'banana look'.
BFA plugs are the only other type I can find a generic name for.
Banana plugs are used the vast majority of the time though.
i was chancing my arm hoping someone else would have same the equipment I have.
anyway thanks, hopefully i'll get back to you.

Attachments

• 20171023_202202.jpg
    20171023_202202.jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20171023_201706.jpg
    20171023_201706.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 34
  • 20171023_201609.jpg
    20171023_201609.jpg
    673 KB · Views: 28

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back