What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (2 Viewers)

I've ordered it but have not read it. I need to finish reading my spicy-mafia-version-of-twilight trilogy first.

Finished 'It's different for girls', by Louse Werner. Enjoyed it. It's a whimsical read. It's her memoir of her time in Sleeper, but in an 'at-a-glance' way. She doesn't go into a lot of detail about a lot of things, but her writing style is witty and she makes this more entertaining than Sleeper ever were. Might delve into some of the novels she wrote.

Started 'Inside Pink Floyd' by Nick Mason. Only a handful of pages in but it's very amusing so far.

Has anyone booked them for here yet?

Looks like good fun, I'd be there in a heartbeat

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Finished 'It's different for girls', by Louse Werner. Enjoyed it. It's a whimsical read. It's her memoir of her time in Sleeper, but in an 'at-a-glance' way. She doesn't go into a lot of detail about a lot of things, but her writing style is witty and she makes this more entertaining than Sleeper ever were. Might delve into some of the novels she wrote.

Yeow, glad you enjoyed it!

Finished La Belle Sauvage just there last night.

It walks a fine line between telling its own story and filling in stuff in the universe that threaten to bog it down with "i created a wiki" kind of fanboyness. It's helped by being tonally quite different to His Dark Materials though, it doesn't jump straight into action this time and takes a long time meandering pleasantly around Oxford. There were a few unexpected moments in the latter half of the book that I was iffy about at first but won me over once by the end.

Hard to make any kind of judgement because it literally ends with "to be continued" and there's loads of stuff just kicking off but I certainly enjoyed it.

The print is still too big though, fucking ridiculous.

The Transition by Luke Kennard. I flew through this in a day and a half on holidays - I think it was a 99p Kindle deal. One of the promotional quotes compares it to Jonathan Coe. I enjoyed it as a light holiday anyway but it's not going to blow you away. I suspect if you read a lot then you'll find lots wrong with it.

Also - I bet the author listens to 6 Music non-stop thanks to thrilling lines which went something like "as he pulled on a yellow Belle & Sebastian t-shirt", "as he pulled on a faded Pavement t-shirt" and "as he pulled on a twenty year old Yo La Tengo t-shirt."

Recent reading has been Eminent Hipsters by Donald Fagan, which is fantastic.
The Free by Willy Vlautin - A good read; spare, well written but pretty downbeat.
I've just started He Wants by Alison Moore who is my current favourite author. Great stuff.

can anyone recommend any good recent horror, weird fiction or gothic fiction? i really liked the southern reach trilogy and like stuff by thomas ligotti, laird barron etc
It's not new but Wordsworth have recently republished a collection of short stories by Sheridan Le Fanu that's only €4. I can't remember the exact title (Mrs. Somebody's Ghost) but it's good if you like 19th century ghost stories. There seems to be a few new Wordsworth paperbacks out (all with yellow covers) and they're usually worth the punt.

Faber have also put out two Robert Aickman collections which I haven't gotten yet but really want. Again, he probably sits closer to traditional supernatural fiction but is a heavy hitter in the genre.

I'm currently reading a collection by a guy called Howard Wandrei who was friends with Lovecraft and wrote for the same magazines. His stuff is quite different and maybe veers a little towards sci fi but I'm enjoying it a lot (the collection is called Time Burial). I've also bought a collection called Don't Dream by his brother, Donald Wandrei (who I think was the first to publish Lovecraft's stories as books with August Derlath).

Started 'Inside Pink Floyd' by Nick Mason. Only a handful of pages in but it's very amusing so far.

loving this book. So much so that I've slowed down my reading a lot just so I can be sure I'm taking in everything he's saying. It's great to get his insight into some of the stuff that went on, especially back in the early days when Syd went a bit mental. I'll take me another while to get through it at this rate but I'm ok with that.

loving this book. So much so that I've slowed down my reading a lot just so I can be sure I'm taking in everything he's saying. It's great to get his insight into some of the stuff that went on, especially back in the early days when Syd went a bit mental. I'll take me another while to get through it at this rate but I'm ok with that.
Share interesting anecdotes with us please, we'll all enjoy them

Share interesting anecdotes with us please, we'll all enjoy them
well I've just gotten to the end of the Syd part and I reckon that's gonna be the most interesting. Dunno, it's just all-round interesting, hearing how shit their early tours were, Jimi Hendrix loaning them gear, the festivals they were playing and with whom, etc. Just, interesting.

Started reading* The Three Body Problem today. A couple of chapters in and pretty good so far.

* audiobook

Started reading* The Three Body Problem today. A couple of chapters in and pretty good so far.

* audiobook

I like this a lot in spite of some serious clunkiness in the writing. Started on the second one though and thinking of packing it in. It's quite bad.

I like this a lot in spite of some serious clunkiness in the writing. Started on the second one though and thinking of packing it in. It's quite bad.

17 chapters in and i'm finding it hard to follow who's who - they all have foreign names

17 chapters in and i'm finding it hard to follow who's who - they all have foreign names
Yeah this is a problem all right. I'm not sure it matters that much though. It's more about the ideas than the characters or the (terrible) dialogue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back