What gig did you go to last night? (4 Viewers)

Lorde - it was fun. It felt like the gig didn't really get going until the last third though. Plus I was standing off to the side in a massive venue. I think the ideal time and place to see her would be 2am at something like Primavera.

Went to In Tua Nua on saturday night for a nostalgia fix. Was slightly too young to have seen these before they split back in the day and have now seen them 3 times in the last 4/5 years. Would't have said I was a massive fan but The Long Acre was one of the few albums I owned when I was 12, hence listened to it to death. Some great songs and they still stand up well today. Poor auld Leslie was battling bronchitis but soldiered through it, bless her. Was good fun.

She was a birra alright in her day

intuanua-alliwanted-45-fc-fixed-274x274.jpg

Went to In Tua Nua on saturday night for a nostalgia fix. Was slightly too young to have seen these before they split back in the day and have now seen them 3 times in the last 4/5 years. Would't have said I was a massive fan but The Long Acre was one of the few albums I owned when I was 12, hence listened to it to death. Some great songs and they still stand up well today. Poor auld Leslie was battling bronchitis but soldiered through it, bless her. Was good fun.

She was a birra alright in her day

intuanua-alliwanted-45-fc-fixed-274x274.jpg

I remember them, or at least some part of them, playing our primary school back when I was a kid. I'm nearly certain of this. They played an acoustic set in our gym. It would have the late 80s. I fairly certain this happened and I didn't just imagine it.

Went to Shellac on Saturday. They were deadly. Mike Watt's band were savage before hand.

I mean, they were terrible. It was just Mike Watt making fart noises with his arm pits, you missed nothing.
Went to Belfast on the Sunday too. The lack of Mike Watts band was a definite downside. Shellac class of course, but the Tivoli the night before was Brillo, largely due to Mike watt also being there.

Went to Belfast on the Sunday too. The lack of Mike Watts band was a definite downside. Shellac class of course, but the Tivoli the night before was Brillo, largely due to Mike watt also being there.

I didn't think they were all that great, but I spent the set thinking, "Mike Watt seems really cool, I get why nearly every old indie rocker from America is his friend"

Just back from The Mountain Goats. Firstly, delighted to see the button factory jammers for JD. while I enjoyed the gig I didn't enjoy it as much as the last whelan's gig. His acoustic didn't sound great.
Glad I went.

Went to Juanita Stein on friday night in the Grand Social. Very enjoyable set in front of a paltry crowd.

Then saturday, Laurel Halo in DPB or DPP or DBD or whatever that new place is called. Again, very enjoyable from my vantage point up the front. Dreadful venue though.

Went to Juanita Stein on friday night in the Grand Social. Very enjoyable set in front of a paltry crowd.

Then saturday, Laurel Halo in DPB or DPP or DBD or whatever that new place is called. Again, very enjoyable from my vantage point up the front. Dreadful venue though.

What didn't you like about the venue?

What didn't you like about the venue?
stage is at the same level as the floor. Lots of pillars. You can't really see anything in the half of the room by the bar (they had a portion of it closed off too) Would be fine for something smaller.

Though I will say the sound was really good there.

It's a bit like Academy 2.

stage is at the same level as the floor. Lots of pillars. You can't really see anything in the half of the room by the bar (they had a portion of it closed off too) Would be fine for something smaller.

Aye, it is. Only gig I've been to there was melt banana and I loved it. But then I was practically on top of the band for most of it.

Cheers. Was there many at it then?

I have absolutely no concept of how many people are in crowds to be honest, but that sounds about right! nice crowd but the place wasn't jammed.

Just back from The Mountain Goats. Firstly, delighted to see the button factory jammers for JD. while I enjoyed the gig I didn't enjoy it as much as the last whelan's gig. His acoustic didn't sound great.
Glad I went.
i was there too. agree on the sound issue but that was probably the only real negative.

even before going in to the venue, i was struck by a few things: the length of the queue before doors, snaking up past the i.f.i.; the presence of touts, in contrast to £3.50 on the door into the first tmg gig in '96; and the fact that people were being asked for i.d., meaning they weren't born when that '96 gig happened. like @Anthony i was delighted to see them play a bigger venue, packed to the rafters.

the setlist was amazing - half-a-dozen from 'goths', deep cuts (masher, store, new chevrolet in flames), mid-period tunes given new twists (young thousands), one tune i didn't know existed (heel turn 1), a couple of live-only fan favourites (you were cool, you're in maya). aside from crowd-pleasers 'this year' and 'no children' there was zero crossover with the 2011 dublin setlist and only one tune repeated from the 2015 gig. the kind of setlist i might see online and get jealous i wasn't there.

great energy in the room. the usual off the cuff between-song chat ranging from funny to touching, invariably adding to the enjoyment and understanding of each song. jd is a consummate pro, seemingly incapable of phoning-in an average performance. matt douglas is an able foil and his contributions, whether on keyboards, guitar, brass or winds, never failed to add to the tunes.

that said, i really missed both john wurster and, especially, peter hughes. while the duo has more freedom to play on-the-fly, there were a few times the bass and drums would have kicked the tunes onto a higher lever. i also thought the duo hadn't quite figured out how to convey a few of the 'goths' tunes, or at least got to the core of them.

highlight for me (outside of the old-goat nods in the solo section) was the one-two punch of 'new chevrolet in flames' and 'young thousands', the latter being a tune i never really clicked with before but which burned like a distress flare on the night and certainly justified its position as set-closer.

Have to Explode
In the Craters on the Moon
Until I Am Whole
Unicorn Tolerance
Get Lonely
You or Your Memory

< Solo >
Store
Heel Turn 1
Masher

The Grey King and the Silver Flame Attunement
Paid in Cocaine
Deuteronomy 2:10
Stabbed to Death Outside San Juan
Rain in Soho
Andrew Eldritch Is Moving Back to Leeds
New Chevrolet in Flames
The Young Thousands

< Encore >
You Were Cool
You're in Maya
This Year
Wear Black
No Children

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back