What movie did you watch last night? (19 Viewers)

Oh I see what you mean. I suppose it is dated in that way, if it came out now there'd be some serious guardian tut-tutting at the lily-white cast and, to a considerably lesser extent, their rich lifestyles.

I guess my thoughts are that if you made the same film but with more people of color because representation matters and set it in nowheresville America you'd still have the same film about depression and the end of the world. Maybe more scenes about having to go to work during depression/ the apocalypse. No bad thing. I don't think it'd be any better or worse, it's not like I relate to rich LA people as it is.
Ah bollocks I thought you were talking about Magnolia. I love Melancholia!

I've always thought of it as being set somewhere in Europe. Though I dunno why since most of the main actors are American and speak in American accents.
Do people think Melancholia is supposed to be set in LA? Or do ye mean LA as a shorthand for rich white and overpriveleged?
Sorry my fault. I thought he said Magnolia. Melancholia is deadly. So is Magnolia

Hadewicjh: French film about a young woman who gets kicked out of a convent for being too fanatically devoted to Christ then gets recruited by a group of jihadi extremists. Great stuff.

Hors Satan: Same director as above. Bizarre film about a drifter living outside a remote French village who may or may not have healing abilities.

Cache: One of my favourite films. I'd put this third after The White Ribbon and Amour in Haneke's work.

The Wrecking Crew doco. Hmmm. I thought the story could have been told in half an hour. Sure it is all very interesting, or at least could have been. As a doco it wasn't great.

My very vague wrecking crew brush with brush with fame. I was on holiday last week and had a couple of drinks with an Italian American guy named "Johnny Mandolin," he replaced Tommy Todesco, who had been on the soundtrack for the first 2 films, on the third Godfather.

Watched Dogtooth tonight. Crazy story, enjoyed it a lot though. Same dude that made The Lobster. must check out his new one The Killing Of A Sacred Deer

1922. Stephen King adaptation about a dirt poor farmer who conspired with his teenage son to murder his wife for financial gain. It’s fine if typical Netflix fare - production values somewhere between indie film and made for tv drama. Seems like every thought King commits to paper gets turned into a movie or tv show these days. They’ll be adapting his shopping lists soon.

great

videodrome-blu-dvd.jpg

Daphne. East London hipster type goes off the rails after she witnesses her local shopkeeper get stabbed. Much better than that synopsis. Sort of like Fleabag but not strictly a comedy. The lead actress is great. Pretty accurate depiction of life in your 30s as a single person imo.

Daphne (2017) - IMDb

Watched this over the weekend. Poor auld Grant, he's a bit shook looking even in this and it was made 3 or so years ago. Worth a look anyway. Giving the Dü a good rinse in the office today.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Creep 2. Great sequel to the 2014 horror which saw Mark Duplass play one of the most intriguing horror movie characters in recent memory. Sequel follows the same pattern as the first film and is similarly funny and downright creepy.

Saw the new Thor during the week. Thought it was good fun, the best MCU film since Ant-Man or the Winter Soldier, whichever was more recent.

Saw The Death Of Stalin tonight, started off very strong but faded a bit; there's an outstanding reference to/lift from Larry Sanders in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back