DIY help (1 Viewer)

fucking-shelf.jpg

So there was L-brackets eh?

So there was L-brackets eh?

no, circular brass things. the same principal as L-brackets..kind of

The guys at the DIY store and me had a good discussion about them. you could smell the testosterone for yards

thing is i only found 2 of them- i need another four

ah well
cheers for the suggestions

So we've bought this gaff anyway. There is loads of shite cabling about. Nearly every room has an old upc box in it. Plugging my current virgin box in to them does nothing. There is also wiring for an old house alarm. (there's a newer alarm also wired up, dunno how to work it tbh)

Do you get all this shit removed? Any recommendations for an electrician in D11?

I was trying to replace the light fixtures over the weekend, but the majority of the old ones didn't have an earth wire attached from the ceiling, so I got scared and left them be.

DIY is a pain in the fucking arsecheeks.

Nearly every room has an old upc box in it. Plugging my current virgin box in to them does nothing.

If you have a TV with an analogue tuner handy you should hook it up to the upc boxes and see if you can get the basic channels tuned in. This should at least tell you if the service is still physically connected to their network.

If you have a TV with an analogue tuner handy you should hook it up to the upc boxes and see if you can get the basic channels tuned in. This should at least tell you if the service is still physically connected to their network.

I thought they were discontinued, the analog signals?

So we've bought this gaff anyway. There is loads of shite cabling about. Nearly every room has an old upc box in it. Plugging my current virgin box in to them does nothing. There is also wiring for an old house alarm. (there's a newer alarm also wired up, dunno how to work it tbh)

Do you get all this shit removed? Any recommendations for an electrician in D11?

I was trying to replace the light fixtures over the weekend, but the majority of the old ones didn't have an earth wire attached from the ceiling, so I got scared and left them be.

DIY is a pain in the fucking arsecheeks.

What’s wrong with the new alarm?

I do alarms btw

I thought they were discontinued, the analog signals?
Broadcast free to air analogue is switched off but virgin media still send out a non-digital, no box or card required, analogue signal over their wires. Can be tuned in on any tv with an analogue tuner and a coax port as long as they haven’t physically disconnected the house from their network. About a dozen channels I think.

Broadcast free to air analogue is switched off but virgin media still send out a non-digital, no box or card required, analogue signal over their wires. Can be tuned in on any tv with an analogue tuner and a coax port as long as they haven’t physically disconnected the house from their network. About a dozen channels I think.

at least it's available in my house - may not be in all areas

What’s wrong with the new alarm?

I do alarms btw
Probably nothing, apart from me being too scared to turn it on. I can't remember what the different protection levels are called right now, but I'm going to come back to you later when I'm home to ask for your help with what they mean. It's like, Full alarm, Perimeter Alarm, Half Alarm. I dunno, something like that.

The old one is what's annoying me though. All the windows have an old sensor box thing still attached, and the main big alarm box with all the buttons etc is still attached to the wall in the downstairs toilet, tiled around. Lazy bastards couldn't have just taken it out when they redid that room.

I'm going to try this later. Football was on last night.

Probably nothing, apart from me being too scared to turn it on. I can't remember what the different protection levels are called right now, but I'm going to come back to you later when I'm home to ask for your help with what they mean. It's like, Full alarm, Perimeter Alarm, Half Alarm. I dunno, something like that.

The old one is what's annoying me though. All the windows have an old sensor box thing still attached, and the main big alarm box with all the buttons etc is still attached to the wall in the downstairs toilet, tiled around. Lazy bastards couldn't have just taken it out when they redid that room.

I'm going to try this later. Football was on last night.

Use your alarm.
I don’t k ow how your alarm panel is programmed.

Usually: full alarm- to use when you and leave the gaff and there’s no one home. All sensors on and Has an entry and exit timer

Perimeter alarm:

Often everything is on except for any internal movement detectors, sometimes bedroom wi does too but that depends on how it’s worse / programmes / Installed

Half alarm:

No idea. Never seen a setting that is ‘half alarm’.

PM me a pic of your keypad and I’ll have a slightly better idea what we’re talking about

what a top feller @ernesto

i checked this morning. the options are full, part and perimeter arming. I know I just need to try them all some day and see what sets it off. Most of the window sensors need batteries by the looks of it too. I'll pm ya now with a pic, but it looks very generic. No branding anywhere.

This worked in the living room, but not in the other three rooms with old ntl branded connection boxes.

Followed the cables for those three outside to the side of the house and found this... the bit that would lead to the signal has been cut off. :'(

Houses should come with a service history.

no TV.jpg

This worked in the living room, but not in the other three rooms with old ntl branded connection boxes.

Followed the cables for those three outside to the side of the house and found this... the bit that would lead to the signal has been cut off. :'(

Houses should come with a service history.

View attachment 11984

Buy the connector (RG58) in maplins and the crimping tool. Watch a YouTube video on it and DIY. Piece of piss

Got brave enough to start using the house alarm @ernesto . After buying a load of 1/2 AA size batteries for the sensors.

Thumped, where can you get suitable lids for cold water tanks? I need to insulate them too but that seems like an easy job. Cold water out of the taps is shitting freezing atm, the electric shower is working overtime to get "hot".

Need to figure out the flow of the hot water and balance the radiators this weekend. YES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back