duty on shite from merica (1 Viewer)

JohnnyRaz

where the crow ate the man
Supporter
gentlefolk - thinking of ordering something mid value from the states. good while since I last did so as an post/customs had gotten fairly tight re customs duty...

is this still the case? or is it the merry free for all of the mid 2000's again?

I bought some small scale stuff at the start of the year.
100 Guitar Picks $35
Delivery $25

FedEx hit me with a duty & tax bill for about €28 a month later.

Pricks.

PN 1882 - Ordering Goods for Personal Use over the Internet or from Mail Order Catalogues

If your order (including shipping) is €22 or under, no duty is applied. You could probably buy a CD for that.
not quite:
revenue said:
Consignments not exceeding an intrinsic value of €150 may be imported from outside the EU without payment of Customs Duty. Intrinsic value is the value of the goods alone and does not include insurance and freight). Consignments not exceeding a total customs value of €22 may be imported without payment of VAT.
but (presuming a VAT rate of 23%), if the value of your goods alone doesn't exceed €26,
revenue said:
VAT liability amounting to less than or equal to €6 will not be collected

I bought some small scale stuff at the start of the year.
100 Guitar Picks $35
Delivery $25

FedEx hit me with a duty & tax bill for about €28 a month later.

Pricks.
Thats about 50% extra wtf???

So if a courier delivers it you don't pay the duty on delivery and you get a bill later, is that right? I put down the office address for shipping but I wont be there when it arrives

I bought a gadget on kickstarter about a year ago for about $250 and the latest update is that should ship fairly soonish. Sure, the good is gone out of it now, poxy tax, I never thought of it.

Thats about 50% extra wtf???

So if a courier delivers it you don't pay the duty on delivery and you get a bill later, is that right? I put down the office address for shipping but I wont be there when it arrives

I bought a gadget on kickstarter about a year ago for about $250 and the latest update is that should ship fairly soonish. Sure, the good is gone out of it now, poxy tax, I never thought of it.
Yeah, I had no idea I would be getting that extra bill. It sucked.

If it's a kickstarter thing, maybe the seller will be sound and ship it as a gift or something and you won't have to pay anything extra.

Yeah, I had no idea I would be getting that extra bill. It sucked.

If it's a kickstarter thing, maybe the seller will be sound and ship it as a gift or something and you won't have to pay anything extra.
No, they won't do that. What about actually paying it - it's not normal to give the money to the delivery guy, is that right?

No, they won't do that. What about actually paying it - it's not normal to give the money to the delivery guy, is that right?
I didn't think it was normal for them to deliver and then look for the duty, it's only happened to me once and it was An Post but they brought it to my door, looked for cash and then took it away to their big depot near the Red Cow because I didn't have exactly €83.47 on me when they called (or however much it was, it was a ridiculous number to have exact change for when you weren't expecting it).

My delivery was with fed-ex. Package just arrived like any normal post, nothing about having outstanding tax etc. It had the usual postage and delivery charges online when I originally placed my order so I thought that was that.

Months later I got an invoice from fed-ex in the post saying I owed them whatever it's called, customs duty or tax. Can't remember. They had paid it to the Revenue originally so you have to reimburse them.

I WTF'd it and thought it looked like spam. Googled it, and turns out most people think the same.

Paying it wasn't particularly handy either. They don't have any "pay your bill now" section on their website. I think you could do it over the phone, but I ended up doing a once of electronic bank transfer using their IBAN and BIC details. No receipt or anything to tell you it's paid. Pain in the bollocks.

Sorry for your upcoming troubles Shaney.

Imagine them having to go through this all the time in the UK after brexit for any Thomann orders.

LOL

My brother asked me to order something for him (he really needs to get his own credit card to do this). Looking at tracking, it arrived in Dublin on Sunday early afternoon and there has been no update since.

I am guessing after some thought that the three days of no movement is due to customs?

It cost about €20 and shipping is €12 so total €32.

My brother asked me to order something for him (he really needs to get his own credit card to do this). Looking at tracking, it arrived in Dublin on Sunday early afternoon and there has been no update since.

I am guessing after some thought that the three days of no movement is due to customs?

It cost about €20 and shipping is €12 so total €32.

No import duty on anything under €150 IIRC. Sure try Contact the depot where it’s being held

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back