What movie did you watch last night? (14 Viewers)

Watched Down Terrace - Ben Wheatley's debut which I'd never seen. Total dysfunctional blacker than black humour; really enjoyed it.
Also watched '71 - about a Brit soldier caught behind enemy IRA lines in Belfast in the titular year. This should have been a taut, fast paced thriller (in my head anyway) but I found it quite underwhelming and also a bit confusing.

Burn After Reading (2008) - A masterclass in cinema, funny, poignant, clever, silly, I absolutely adored it. Not sure if it is one of the Coens' best but at its best it is hard to beat. Great seeing George Clooney almost self-parodising as a total arsehole.

Burn After Reading (2008) - A masterclass in cinema, funny, poignant, clever, silly, I absolutely adored it. Not sure if it is one of the Coens' best but at its best it is hard to beat. Great seeing George Clooney almost self-parodising as a total arsehole.
It's a gem alright. Not top tier Coens, but certainly one that stands up to repeat viewings.

We watched half of Seven Psychopaths, interrupted by a facetime call from my bro, which was grand because the film is bollox.
Pure bollocks. Fucking dreadful meta shite. And so dated as well. Released in 2012 but it felt like a script McDonagh had lying around since 1994 when Tarantino rip offs were all the rage. And the acting... woeful!

Am looking forward to his new film though.

It's a great one, star turns all round. Pitt and McDormand are excellent too.

Watched the doc Jodorowsky's Dune last night. Absolutely brilliant. The pure passion still in this 80 something year old is pretty phenomenal. Such a shame it never got made, would have been amazing. Incredible the direct impact the movie had on other Hollywood blockbusters also. He was in Dublin giving a talk somewhere this week?

Watched the doc Jodorowsky's Dune last night. Absolutely brilliant. The pure passion still in this 80 something year old is pretty phenomenal. Such a shame it never got made, would have been amazing. Incredible the direct impact the movie had on other Hollywood blockbusters also. He was in Dublin giving a talk somewhere this week?
Yeah, he gave a talk at IMMA. I think @hugh went? I missed out on a ticket.

Really? Looks like utter tripe. I was planning to hate watch this.

Well there were two people coming out behind me laughing their heads off and saying it was the worst film they had ever seen. I loved it. Though I can see how some would scoff loudly.

The Dark Tower

Very disappointing but I expected little from it. I really wanted to like more about it but it was completely disconnected from the books. I don't mind changes in plot or pacing but the tone was completely wrong. Serious changes in characters' motivations and an absolute muddle of a plot. Idris Elba was decent, the kid was good but McConaughey had nothing to work with.

Saw a doco about the guy that wrote The Anarchists Cookbook. It was quite sad.
I remember the book being talked about in the 80s and 90s and presumed it was a zine, I never knew it was a real book, if you know what I mean.
Watching the doco I thought, this guy is going to kill himself.

Saw a doco about the guy that wrote The Anarchists Cookbook. It was quite sad.
I remember the book being talked about in the 80s and 90s and presumed it was a zine, I never knew it was a real book, if you know what I mean.
Watching the doco I thought, this guy is going to kill himself.
They used to sell it in Tower Records.

Okja, good movie. Not amazing or anything but a ripping yarn with good characters (although Jake Gyllenhall doesn't really nail his), excellently shot. Nice to see the activists as the good guys rather than the loonies. Having said that it (rightly) doesn't really weigh in on any of the heavy issues too much, leaves room for grey areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back