sending out crap for review - suggestions (1 Viewer)

JohnnyRaz

where the crow ate the man
Supporter
gentlefolk - is sending out physical copies of CD/Tape/wax cylinders to journos/bloggers much of thing anymore?

if so any suggestions of who/where is worth kicking it on to? (as opposed to just emailing links - but that too)

we all know 90% will just go in the bin, but I've been tilting at that particular windmill for the past 15 years, so I might as well carry on to the point where all music is directly beemed into our brains by elon musk.

and I do realise theres probably about 42.5 threads about this already but I'm too old to use the search function..

gentlefolk - is sending out physical copies of CD/Tape/wax cylinders to journos/bloggers much of thing anymore?

if so any suggestions of who/where is worth kicking it on to? (as opposed to just emailing links - but that too)

we all know 90% will just go in the bin, but I've been tilting at that particular windmill for the past 15 years, so I might as well carry on to the point where all music is directly beemed into our brains by elon musk.

and I do realise theres probably about 42.5 threads about this already but I'm too old to use the search function..
Anyone that I contacted when I last sent stuff out always asked for a link to a download Johnny. That said, I did still send out physical CD's as well, but heard nothing back. Someone posted a thing from Nialler9 a while back on his tips on sending stuff out which is worth a read. I'm old too so can't for the life of me attach it here,sorry :(
Hang on - here it is - http://www.firstmusiccontact.com/bandtips/bandtips_blogger.pdf

I sent out a whole load of emails before with links and download codes. Not one blogger/mag/etc used the codes.
Maybe they just streamed? I don't know.
All I know is that I got zero feedback or reviews or coverage. Oh wait, Dan Hegarty played it on the radio. Good Guy Dan.

CDs in the post are incredibly rare. "Press packs" even rarer, but they still occasionally turn up. Downloads are fine, but watermarked or not they're getting given to at least one potential reviewer. Most convenient of all is probably a stream + bio + artwork + decent quality artist images (a couple suitable for use as portrait and landscape - so composed with everyone's heads at the same level kind of thing. And no posing in front of bushes or patterned wallpaper or anything else that makes it hard to resize the image to something web friendly without the quality going to shit). All of this should be done as private SoundCloud / bandcamp links with the photos in Dropbox or whatever. No mp3 (or wav or flac) attachments should EVER be sent. That shit's getting deleted.

Basically everyone just need to cop the fuck on and consider who they're sending shit to and how they might want to use it.

Exception to the cd vs download vs stream - if your packaging is really nice or elaborate or might be worth something on eBay or discogs some day...

We tend to prefer high quality Mp3 via email, If people send us wav i'll actually do the conversion myself and if think your master is a bit thin i've been known to do post production on stuff.

It depends on the outlet - There are still folk out there who love cd, in the case of the radio its best to target djs with stuff they normally play.

Mainstream radio stations very often have very few autonomous dj's and tend to work from a playlist or music director.

Yeah thinking about it, sending stuff to people who might like your stuff is the way forward.

I'm about to be off for a month but PM me in late august and i'll probably add your stuff to our playlist FTW

When sending stuff out recently we sent emails with links to

- downloadable soundcloud files (mp3 and wav)
- spotify
- youtube

Attached cover image for the single, bio, press release. Didn't really send band photos, cos we didn't have any decent ones.

We tend to prefer high quality Mp3 via email, If people send us wav i'll actually do the conversion myself and if think your master is a bit thin i've been known to do post production on stuff.

It depends on the outlet - There are still folk out there who love cd, in the case of the radio its best to target djs with stuff they normally play.

Mainstream radio stations very often have very few autonomous dj's and tend to work from a playlist or music director.

Yeah thinking about it, sending stuff to people who might like your stuff is the way forward.

I'm about to be off for a month but PM me in late august and i'll probably add your stuff to our playlist FTW

nice one appreciated and I'll drop ya a line in the autumn when its out.
- yeah, the email with stream/youtube/photo links is what Ive been doing - I guess part of me is lookihg to find something to do with the physical copies as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back