The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women (1 Viewer)

"albums made by women" seems to have a broad definition e.g. cocteau twins, sonic youth, no doubt - all acts with only one woman among a majority of men.

some interesting choices, some new names to me, but no neko case.

Good fucking grief.

In a world where we never move further than entry level everything I suppose it's "needed".

Last edited:
I've always thought 'the woods' was the better sleater kinny album.
You don't expect the people who compiled this list to actually listen to these albums do you? It's about representation not, you know, music.

also it was their breakthrough album in the USA which is likely the actual reason. I notice that most of the albums chosen are breakthroughs rather than career bests.

Last edited:
You don't expect the people who compiled this list to actually listen to these albums do you? It's about representation not, you know, music.
i didn't read every entry but i got the opposite feeling from the ones i did i.e. personal responses from the contributors to albums that did and continue to mean a lot to them. i don't know enough about many of the women featured to know what their career bests are e.g. i really like dusty in memphis & roberta flack's first take, to name two, but i've no idea where they rank in terms of career highs.

i didn't read every entry but i got the opposite feeling from the ones i did i.e. personal responses from the contributors to albums that did and continue to mean a lot to them. i don't know enough about many of the women featured to know what their career bests are e.g. i really like dusty in memphis & roberta flack's first take, to name two, but i've no idea where they rank in terms of career highs.
Yeah I was being sarky mostly, hence the second part of my post. Of the people on there that i'm a big fan of they tended to choose the breakthrough albums rather than their best album. Some of the artists get two albums which allowed them to stretch out a bit with their choices.

Mostly i'm a bit iffy about some of the stuff on there where the songs were all written and recorded by men or even someone like the B-52's who were creatively 50/50 when there's a lot of good female only stuff being left out. It's demonstrably not a list of albums "made by women" nevermind the best albums made by women.

Ultimately lists are just a bit of fun that tell you a bit about current tastes but since they're going all in and calling this a "new canon" I'm not gonna go easy on their pomposity.

Last edited:
Yeah I was being sarky mostly, hence the second part of my post. Of the people on there that i'm a big fan of they tended to choose the breakthrough albums rather than their best album. Some of the artists get two albums which allowed them to stretch out a bit with their choices.
fair enough, but often the breakthrough album is the one that more people have an emotional connection to. i noticed two nina simone albums - who else got two? joni maybe? (i'm not going back to check!)

Mostly i'm a bit iffy about some of the stuff on there where the songs were all written and recorded by men or even someone like the B-52's who were creatively 50/50 when there's a lot of good female only stuff being left out. It's demonstrably not a list of albums "made by women" nevermind the best albums made by women.
seems there were no fixed criteria. any list that includes oumou sangare (no joyce? no kandia kouyaté?), meredith monk (no patty waters?) and pauline oliveros (no delia derbyshire?) alongside buffy sainte marie (no karen dalton?), spice girls (no reynolds girls?), dolly (no neko?) and adele (no moyet?) is always gonna be a bit random. they should've stuck to female singers/leaders or female-majority groups.

one that stuck out was le mystère des voix bulgares - essentially an ever-revolving cast of c.20 women singing traditional tunes in a prescribed manner. not sure if that's the essence or a dilution of the concept, but the group of that name was conceived, produced and, arguably, profaned by a man.

fair enough, but often the breakthrough album is the one that more people have an emotional connection to. i noticed two nina simone albums - who else got two? joni maybe? (i'm not going back to check!)
Madonna, Aretha Franklin, Joan Jett/The Runaways, Beyonce/Destiny's child. Possibly more but I think that's most of them.

seems there were no fixed criteria. any list that includes oumou sangare (no joyce? no kandia kouyaté?), meredith monk (no patty waters?) and pauline oliveros (no delia derbyshire?) alongside buffy sainte marie (no karen dalton?), spice girls (no reynolds girls?), dolly (no neko?) and adele (no moyet?) is always gonna be a bit random. they should've stuck to female singers/leaders or female-majority groups.

Yeah agreed, its very US-centric and when it goes beyond that it's clearly either the tastes of one or two people (I see Laura "three of my top ten albums of all time are by the National" Snapes being thrown anything British) or just some simple world-music box-ticking.

ANYWAY, no Enya on there. I thought Enya was in these days?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back