Manchester (1 Viewer)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
Seriously fucked up.

I'm sure there are those on here who have kids the same ages as those killed and injured and, I'm sure, they will feel a deeper level of shock than the rest of us.

When Paris happened I remember thinking that could have been any of us. In Manchester it could have been any of our kids.

Where is this shit gonna end?

Thoughts are with those affected.

Unspeakably grim. Deliberately targeting children can't have any ideological merit.

My own little one is a few short years away from going to concerts like this with her pals, makes me terribly sad to think this is the world they're inheriting.

I don't think I can say anything more than anyone else has already said. This is hugely fucked up. I really don't understand how you can believe so much in something to do this sort of harm.

RTE have reported that a shopping centre in Manchester was evacuated about 20 minutes ago. Hopefully a false alarm.

Haven't heard anything about this yet
Check that your internet, phone and radio are working because it's everywhere.

It's horrifying and appalling. My little one is a fan of Ariana Grande. I didn't even realise she was playing in Dublin last Saturday. If I had, we might have been there. If we happened to live in Manchester we might have been there last night.

I had to try and keep away from the internet/news in general today. Stomach turning stuff, horrifying indeed.

I was just looking at the video of NYC in the bored at work thread, thinking about my time there in 2001 and how different my take on that video is from what it would have been then. And twitter the last few days...Katie Hopkins etc etc. Why are people like her trying to turn "the West" into a pack of wild dogs? What exactly does she want 'us' to do to/about the situation? Does she REALLY want that? Or does she actually consider herself privileged and distanced enough that she can escape the implications herself? And that poet in Manchester...I listened today, and just felt that while emotional solidarity is great, defiant words are great, those poor kids - the ones who survived - might not feel too buoyed up by their parents" loud but diffident response to this cataclysm. The Right has all the answers, reduce personal freedom, restrict movement, increase surveillance, ban, bomb, fuck 'those' people. But the Left is bereft of something more measured which might actually effect change in the immediate short term - to isolate the aberrant groups who cause these things, and stop killing people. This secret club of extremism is too fucking easy. It's seductive, it offers a path to glory for so many angry, hurt, maybe insane people. It seems to me right now that pragmatically speaking the individual lone-wolf types who do these things are often just too far down a line of thought to be reached in any practical way, and while we (let's say) on the left preach tolerance and understanding and empathy, there will be other families going home soon to an empty place at the table. I'm a Quaker and I am having great trouble at the moment with peace testimony (we call it) for this reason. It's too late when your family member is dead!
So what's a real response? Because it seems like tweeting sympathy, signing a petition etc are so fucked as a response. 'We' are a group, we don't have to ignore that power because of our comfy left leaning micro-differences. What is it we need to do to stop this torture and how do we do it?

The only person I keep an eye on in twitter who I think could lead a proper discussion on this is Nick Cohen....he's certainly worth reading, he never shies away from the real complexities of an issue. Maybe there are others?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back