Coffee (1 Viewer)

Coffee is best enjoyed

• Total voters
Do you not get caffine withdrawl symptoms?
My coffee consumption increased since I got the areopress & did i pay for it last Sunday into Monday.
I'll let you know. I have just decided to cut back to 1 a day. FACT.
I had a lie in and didn't get my fix, Horrible headache for almost 2 full days.
Fuck that noise.

I didn't touch any coffee until Thursday, fell of the wagon. Just one cup. Sadly a nice black coffee is my only vice now, and even that has to be moderated.

I had some really nice coffee in the coffee bean house in naas.
2 americanos made fresh from bean to cup. A selection of different beans to choose from. Some of the tastiest coffee I've had. One was called Rwanda fully washed gorilla mountain. I bought a small bag but couldnt get the richness of flavour they had in the shop using the aeropress at home. The other was a cup of beans infused with chocolate, very rich interesting flavour, not really coffee you could say but nice none the less.

Coffee Beans House

The local garage had an unbranded coffee machine. They did a decent large Americano or cappuccino for €2.10. €1.85 for a regular size. I was in there today and it has been replaced by a Frank & Honest coffee unit. No real complaint about their coffee, it's fine...but a large is now €2.80. Who are these Frank & Honest crowd? They must have mafia connections because they' are everywhere.

You can get decent coffee out of a moka pot, but it takes an awful lot of extra work and attention to do it compared to just making some sort of coffee. I use a v60 at home it's great. I wouldn't be freezing my beans though.

A moka pot or cafetière has been my day to day coffee for years now alright but i dream of an expensive machine that does all the work for me.

You can get decent coffee out of a moka pot, but it takes an awful lot of extra work and attention to do it compared to just making some sort of coffee. I use a v60 at home it's great. I wouldn't be freezing my beans though.
I use the moka pot at home just because my girlfriend has one. Have to say I agree with the article. Freshly ground coffee should not be so bitter. It's very hard to get right and a pain in the arse to clean etc.

Anyone have one of those pour over filter ones?

I followed what "the experts" (a book i browsed) recommended for my moka pot:

a) using lighter coffee
b) boiling the water first
C) then putting it on a medium heat, keeping the lid of the pot open and never letting the coffe actually start spurting up. Just trying to regulate the flow to a... well, a dribble.

It's not perfect but it does make the coffee a hell of a lot better.

I find getting out of bed slightly later removes the time for thinking about the process or adapting resulting in a streamlined process in which one takes whats going.

Anyone try an aeropress?

Yep. I was a zealous user of the Moka pot, but got a present of an Aeropress. It's even easier/quicker to use and makes better coffee, only use the moka pot now if I need to make a few coffees at the one time. Gary from imbibe coffee was telling me that short of spending several thousand on a coffee machine it's the only home option he'd consider.

The aeropress comes with paper filters, which feels a bit wasteful, but I bought a reusable steel filter offa Amazon, and my smug levels have been improved even more.

On another note, good beans are feckin' expensive, and about the only regular shop ones I like are the Lidl espresso ones from the Italian range, when they get them in.

Noticed TKMaxx had loads of fancy looking beans the other day, anyone ever try them?

Yep. I was a zealous user of the Moka pot, but got a present of an Aeropress. It's even easier/quicker to use and makes better coffee, only use the moka pot now if I need to make a few coffees at the one time. Gary from imbibe coffee was telling me that short of spending several thousand on a coffee machine it's the only home option he'd consider.

The aeropress comes with paper filters, which feels a bit wasteful, but I bought a reusable steel filter offa Amazon, and my smug levels have been improved even more.
Sound..thats it so.I'm getting one.

I've bored with the moka pot..its too much work. Its had a good run in fairness

I followed what "the experts" (a book i browsed) recommended for my moka pot:

a) using lighter coffee
b) boiling the water first
C) then putting it on a medium heat, keeping the lid of the pot open and never letting the coffe actually start spurting up. Just trying to regulate the flow to a... well, a dribble.

It's not perfect but it does make the coffee a hell of a lot better.
Yeah had heard about keeping the lid up alright. Will try boiling the water first and keeping the temperature down. How light is a lighter coffee. I asked the dude in 250 square to recommend beans for a moka pot and what he gave me was discusting. Very bitter.

Yeah had heard about keeping the lid up alright. Will try boiling the water first and keeping the temperature down. How light is a lighter coffee. I asked the dude in 250 square to recommend beans for a moka pot and what he gave me was discusting. Very bitter.
I've found standard Lavazza to be fine but the thing i was reading actually recommended much, much lighter stuff.

If it starts to boil/spurts and you don't immediately reduce the heat it only takes about 5-10 seconds for the coffee to burn and be ruined (to be dramatic about it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back