Putting your music "career history" on LinkedIn (1 Viewer)

glamour pictures certainly have their uses in the professional world

they let you see who's the kind of clown who would get a glamour pic for their online profile, for example

"The IT companies simply post a free lunch on our website and the IT professionals registered on the website apply to have lunch with the company. The companies look through the applicants and invite them to have lunch with the HR department or employees. If you're looking for a job in IT and fancy a relaxed networking lunch..."

No thanks, I'd rather eat my own eyeballs at home by myself.

I wouldn't be bothered. you leave yourself open to:

"You don't take your job seriously"
"you value you're band above your job"
"you seem to lack ambition"

I always tried as hard as I could to keep the fact that I played in bands away from anyone in work. People take you less seriously, especially those higher up. Also it becomes all people ever talk to you about, especially those one or two guys who are bedroom musicans, but want to spend all day talking endlessly about some shit band or an fx pedal they just bought, or talking about the songs they played with an acoustic at a party at the weekend. It also pisses off your supervisor / manager that you take all your holidays as individual days off to travel to do gigs.

God I sound bitter!

People take you less seriously, especially those higher up.

Also it becomes all people ever talk to you about, especially those one or two guys who are bedroom musicans, but want to spend all day talking endlessly about some shit band or an fx pedal they just bought, or talking about the songs they played with an acoustic at a party at the weekend. !

1. They can fuck off.
2. I love when I find people in work who are into something deeply. It rarely happens. I'm totally bored of talking to the ordinary joe likes a bit of football, tabloid reader types.

Suddenly I got 3 linkedin invites. Weird.
LinkedIn are the spammyest shower of fuckers on the internet.

They like nothing better that harvesting all your address books and if you are not careful you end up sening invites to everyone and notifications to everyone that you updated your profile to say that in 1992 you were promoted to drone class II in Sector 7B

The fucking endorsements - jesus who does that?

Following Richard Branson and all that shit - Christ the world is full of fucking morons.

And the discussions. They are hillarious - everyone being polite and helpful to even the rankest stupidity in case there's a "potential employer" watching.

LinkedIn makes Facebook look like Thumped.

i'm only in one group on linkedin...most of the discussions are started by people working as government or commercial geoscientists who want to know how to analyse samples.

So I finally did this only to find millions of people I know on it already. Its like turning up late for an orgy and everyone has cum already.
I think it's hotting up again, if my "people you may know" section is any indication of these things. Either that or there is a new trend in job-hunting attire. Whatever, I like it!
linkedin.JPG linkedin2.JPG

My sister loves LinkedIn, but she's an IT wizard, so it's almost like the Facebook of Money for them. Everyone getting hired all over the camp for stupid money.

I cannot stand the place. Every endorsement I've ever had are from people that have no clue what I do for a living.

I was having dinner one evening with a yank couple who railed against facebook - all of the usual things "pictures of my kids ... all the world to see..etc. etc."

I don't use Facebook much anymore - but this brand of reflexive Facebook luddiism always pisses me off.

Anyway,

They finished the conversation by say how they live Linkedin.
The spammyiest, fakest, false bonhomie, shittiest social network. I could just picture them following Richard Branson and fucking shuddered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back