Radiohead and the Environment (1 Viewer)

One thing that struck me is that while Radiohead attempted to tour in some kind of eco-friendly way and alot of people got the Dart out instead of a taxi (I was there on the Saturday night) there were still plastic pint glasses all over the place, food wrappings thrown around and everything. I would have been more impressed if Radiohead had a go at those aspects as well as their own. Surely the rights to operate at one of those gigs are pretty lucrative so Radiohead could have imposed some restrictions?

What would you do? Spray the pints and pour the food into peoples' mouths or are you referring to proper litter collection after the fact?

Ah come on, those cheap flimsy pint glasses are made to be disposable but regular venues have sturdy plastic pints that are not glass, shatterproof and can be re-used.

Chips don't have to come in that little plastic container, they can come in a paper bag or something instead.

And yes, of course a proper clean up afterwards and maybe even some bins around the place. I was trying to keep our pint glasses together in my bag but there was nowhere to dispose of them...

Ah come on, those cheap flimsy pint glasses are made to be disposable but regular venues have sturdy plastic pints that are not glass, shatterproof and can be re-used.

Maybe the environmental cost of the harder plastic plus collection and cleaning + the inevitable amount that wouldn't be reusable isn't worth it. More bins is a good idea though, everywhere. Residential areas should have bins on the street. The amount of litter in my area is cat.

in fairness i'm not all that sure that they're 'preaching' so much as just trying to reduce the impact of what they're doing.....surely it's better they try than just shrug their shoulders and carry on regardless....just saw this summary of their dates in ireland

"ENVIRONMENTAL SUMMARY

Malahide Castle is located 16 km / 10 miles from downtown Dublin. The Connolly Station Suburban Rail and DART train stop is located 150m from the venue entrance. The venue is also accessible by Dublin Bus, bicycle, and car.

Parking:

Concert goers were strongly encouraged to take public transport or ride their bicycles to the gig. The venue reported an average 653.5 car park spots purchased each night out of an average attendance of 17,934.5 per show. Though some rode their bikes to the gig, its is apparent that most used public transport.

Energy:

B100 Biodiesel-powered generators provided all venue power. The promoters were asked to supply only 100% recycled waste oil biodiesel. We are currently awaiting certification to confirm its source.

Recycling:

The venue brought in recycling for paper, cardboard, plastic, glass, aluminum, and other materials throughout the venue.

Catering:

Caterers provided washable plates, cutlery, and biodegradable cups for all meals. Compostable food scraps were collected, but we learned after the first day that they were ultimately thrown in with general waste per the garbage collection of the venue. We are working to tighten up compost plans for the remaining shows, when possible.

Concessions:

The concessions companies used recyclable plastic cups which were collected throughout the show.

Other green initiatives:

The venue is a temporary structure on a Greenfield site. Much care is taken to convert the field back to its original state after the show is completed."

What's your thoughts on it? I was quite surprised to hear they're playing Tel Aviv to be honest. Possibly hard to back out now though but I hope they do.
I'm surprised too. I thought everyone but Morrissey and maybe Ted Nugent had got the memo on this by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back