Has anyone ever gone camping on Great Blasket Island? (1 Viewer)

Photos here: (we were pretty lucky with the weather)

1422167838074488012S425x425Q85.jpg

1422167465074488012S425x425Q85.jpg

I WANT TO GO TO THERE.

bleep. is this thread too old to reply to?

at least 8 years later and I still haven't visited blasket, sauce creek OR climbed brandon. that's what having kids does to you I suppose.

EDIT: ah. you can reply to old threads now. you couldn't before.

anyway, still DEFINITELY going to sauce creek. sometime.

Camped there Saturday night and it's a beautiful spot.

There's a gorgeous beach facing the mainland and yesterday morning the seals came right up to us as we were swimming, curious little buggers.
Went for a hike around the island, whatever you say about Peig, I'd say she had a great ass, those hills are on the steep side.

There was a group from Dive Ireland camping near the slip and one of them came up to warn us that Callery would be on island yesterday and to avoid him. Apparently he takes pictures for whatever the ongoing legal case is and hassles campers.

On the ferry back to Dun Chaoin, some genius had tried to drive down to the slip on a narrow pathway meant only for humans and sheep.

cardockmedta0.jpg

All these highs and lows.
carslipmedlt9.jpg

It's a somewhat famous spot from this postcard.
sheepslipdunchaoineq8.jpg

And the sheep shall inherit the berth? (sorry)
Fucking imageshack

Goddamnit. They were great photos.

haha! CURSE YOU IMAGESHACK

yes, I vaguely recall - they were deadly shots. I remember looking at them and going "I want to go there". Clearly not enough yet though, although I have been in the area twice, vagely stalking the walking route.

i camped at sauce creek on the north dingle peninsula, and it was THE most impressive place i've ever been. anywhere. it's a totally isolated cove with a beach about 350m down an extremely steep incline. Apparently its the most isolated beach in ireland. i would only recommend camping there in pretty good weather- its incredibly exposed. to get there you go to brandon beach and walk about an 45mins towards mount brandon, then turn off the path and head for the sea (north), over the bog, over the creast of a hill, then onto a kind of peninsula and you can see the beach below. we camped on top of the peninsula- incredible spot.

did a bit of searching and here's more info: Up Sauce Creek

Location here: <Google Maps>

Best bring an OS Map though if you intend to go.

Photos here: (we were pretty lucky with the weather)

1422167838074488012S425x425Q85.jpg

1422167465074488012S425x425Q85.jpg

1422167085074488012S425x425Q85.jpg

1422166807074488012S425x425Q85.jpg
This post always stuck with me and I finally got round to doing An Sás at the weekend. Beautiful spot.

Nice one! A blast from the past- glad it was of some inspiration. Did you camp?
Nah, just did the trek. Have friends in Feothanach these days and I'm not one to refuse hospitality. Might camp on the island next time I'm down if Star Wars hasn't totally ruined it by then.

Camped there Saturday night and it's a beautiful spot.

There's a gorgeous beach facing the mainland and yesterday morning the seals came right up to us as we were swimming, curious little buggers.
Went for a hike around the island, whatever you say about Peig, I'd say she had a great ass, those hills are on the steep side.

There was a group from Dive Ireland camping near the slip and one of them came up to warn us that Callery would be on island yesterday and to avoid him. Apparently he takes pictures for whatever the ongoing legal case is and hassles campers.

On the ferry back to Dun Chaoin, some genius had tried to drive down to the slip on a narrow pathway meant only for humans and sheep.

cardockmedta0.jpg

All these highs and lows.
carslipmedlt9.jpg

It's a somewhat famous spot from this postcard.
sheepslipdunchaoineq8.jpg

And the sheep shall inherit the berth? (sorry)

Plus ca change

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back