Gig photos. (1 Viewer)

7016333063_568eb9e1a2_z.jpg

She looks like she has been impaled with a percussion instrument ..

Yeah. It's not often you manage to catch an unusual expression AND not have the mic in the way.

The normal rules for a festival in Mexico applied - absolutely no rules at all.
Anyone with a camera was allowed climb up on anything.
People who are annoyed by photographers at gigs would be fucking totally apoplectic here.

I didn't shoot much, and there wasn't much of interest in what I actually shot.

This lady though will feature in the horn thread before long...

Nice one. How was the performance? I only have In The Heart of the Moon, and love it.
gig was good to great (but i didn't take part in the standing ovation). certainly way better than the only other time i saw toumani - with the symmetric orchestra - which was weak. started off with sidiki doing a solo piece which leaned heavily towards a western funk/blues style in parts and was all the worse for it - definitely the low point of the night. then the da came on for a selection of duos and shone on almost every one. the delicacy of his touch, his phrasing, his pacing, his fills and improvs served to highlight both what a master of his instrument he is and, alas, how much better he is than the son who was a capable foil, if a bit too leaden and motorik by comparison, not to mention his penchant for phaser and wah effects.

i can take or leave most of 'in the heart of the moon' what with cooder & co. yopping all over it. i think there are two or three unblemished instrumental duos on that record, but the rest all lose marks for one reason or another. i'd recommend the following:
  • toumani diabate - kaira. 1988 debut solo l.p.
    To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
    For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

• toumani diabate, bassekou kouyate & keletigui diabate - djelika. kora/ngoni/balafon trio - the guitar.bass/drums trifecta of malian music.

• toumani diabate & ballake sissoko - new ancient strings. flawless instrumental kora duos from the two sons of the guys that featured on cordes anciennes in 1970.

• toumani diabate - mande variations. 2007 solo follow-up to kaira, including a couple of pure improvisations.

the follow-up to 'in the heart of the moon' does feature ali & toumani duetting on 56/cinquante six, every bit the equal of the touré solo original:

gig was good to great (but i didn't take part in the standing ovation). certainly way better than the only other time i saw toumani - with the symmetric orchestra - which was weak. started off with sidiki doing a solo piece which leaned heavily towards a western funk/blues style in parts and was all the worse for it - definitely the low point of the night. then the da came on for a selection of duos and shone on almost every one. the delicacy of his touch, his phrasing, his pacing, his fills and improvs served to highlight both what a master of his instrument he is and, alas, how much better he is than the son who was a capable foil, if a bit too leaden and motorik by comparison, not to mention his penchant for phaser and wah effects.

i can take or leave most of 'in the heart of the moon' what with cooder & co. yopping all over it. i think there are two or three unblemished instrumental duos on that record, but the rest all lose marks for one reason or another. i'd recommend the following:
  • toumani diabate - kaira. 1988 debut solo l.p.

• toumani diabate, bassekou kouyate & keletigui diabate - djelika. kora/ngoni/balafon trio - the guitar.bass/drums trifecta of malian music.

• toumani diabate & ballake sissoko - new ancient strings. flawless instrumental kora duos from the two sons of the guys that featured on cordes anciennes in 1970.

• toumani diabate - mande variations. 2007 solo follow-up to kaira, including a couple of pure improvisations.

the follow-up to 'in the heart of the moon' does feature ali & toumani duetting on 56/cinquante six, every bit the equal of the touré solo original:

Excellent stuff - will take a listen to all that, cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back