Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf (2002) (1 Viewer)

A few songs from this also were previously recorded by the desert sessions and possibly another band the bassist was in, which qotsa have done a fair bit. I prefer desert sessions hanging tree tbh.
The Desert Sessions albums are really great, I only have the later ones and keep meaning to go back to the early ones.

i will give this a chance at some point

parents are visiting so no opportunities to listen to music that isn't classical or christmas-themed

Hmm, hmmm, right yeah. I've only listened to this once and it's more or less what I expected. I'd grown up listening to Britrock - the Wildhearts and 3 Colours Red and so on and, God I dunno, Foo Fighters. By the time this came out I was just starting college and was fairly done with most rock, I was listening to a lot of post-hardcore Dischord stuff at the time... and the Strokes. No One Knows was a big hit at the time though, I danced many a drunken night to it. I also seem to remember that learning Mosquito Song was a badge of honour for a lot of lads as well.

Listening now it's all pretty decent, kind of standard Soundgarden/FNM/ 90's alternative rock minus all the quirky bits that give those bands a bit of personality. I don't really get what makes it better than anyone else bar people generally prefer their Hard Rock to be from America.

In all honesty it comes across a bit straight and square to me - no weird clothes or musical ideas, just traditional hard rock. You know the P-Funk idea of Sir Nose - the guy who impresses everyone because he looks and dresses cool but is actually the enemy because he can't let loose and dance? This risks being the rock version of that for me.

Taken individually all the tracks are good but I suppose overall i'd give it 7/10 maybe?

Last edited:
First heard this when on tour in the US in 2002, bought it for something ridiculously cheap in a ginormous wallmart and lobbed it in the van stereo. So pretty much heard it in what I think is it's intended environment, driving around arid US states with the window down and the radio blasting. Even if it was bad, it would have a fond place in my heart for that memory, but it's not bad, it's a smasher. Love love love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back