Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf (2002) (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
3.83 star(s) Rating: 3.83/5 6 Votes
Title: Songs for the Deaf
Artist: Queens of the Stone Age
Released: 2002

Tracks:
1 - The Real Song for the Deaf - 0:00
2 - You Think I Ain't Worth a Dollar, but I Feel Like a Millionaire - 3:12
3 - No One Knows - 4:39
4 - First It Giveth - 3:18
5 - A Song for the Dead - 5:52
6 - The Sky Is Fallin' - 6:16
7 - Six Shooter - 1:19
8 - Hangin' Tree - 3:06
9 - Go With the Flow - 3:07
10 - Gonna Leave You - 2:50
11 - Do It Again - 4:05
12 - God Is in the Radio - 6:05
13 - Another Love Song - 3:16
14 - A Song for the Deaf / Feel Good Hit of the Summer (reprise) - 6:42
15 - Mosquito Song - 5:39
16 - Everybody's Gonna Be Happy - 2:36

Overview:
Songs for the Deaf is the third studio album by American rock band Queens of the Stone Age. Released on August 27, 2002, the album features Foo Fighters and former Nirvana member Dave Grohl as a guest drummer. Like their other albums, Songs for the Deaf has a large number of guest musicians, a signature of the band's releases. Following the breakthrough Rated R, this album is widely regarded as Queens of the Stone Age's best work, garnering near-universal acclaim from critics, whilst earning the band's first gold record certification in the US, having sold 986,000 copies in the country. Today, it is generally considered to be one of the greatest rock albums of the 2000's. Songs for the Deaf is loosely considered as a concept album, taking the listener on a drive from Los Angeles to Joshua Tree while tuning into radio stations from towns on the way such as Banning and the "Bible Belt" on "God Is In The Radio" and Chino Hills, California.

Songs for the Deaf was the first and only Queens of the Stone Age album that featured Dave Grohl of Nirvana and Foo Fighters on drums, who also toured with the band. He replaced the previous drummer, Gene Trautmann, who started working on other projects. Grohl had been a keen admirer of Queens of the Stone Age since the band opened for Foo Fighters on tour and originally wanted to appear on Rated R. He joined Queens of the Stone Age in October 2001 when he received a phone call from Josh Homme, with whom he had been friends since 1992 while Homme was the guitarist for Kyuss. Grohl admitted that he had not drummed for a long time and added that fronting a band was "tiring". Grohl put Foo Fighters on temporary hiatus, delaying their upcoming album One by One to October 22, 2002 because of touring duties with Queens of the Stone Age in support of the album. Grohl's first performance with the band occurred at March 7, 2002 in The Troubadour, Los Angeles, and his last performance was at the Fuji Rock Festival on July 28, 2002. He returned to the Foo Fighters soon after, initially being replaced in Queens of the Stone Age by Kelli Scott of Blinker the Star before Danzig drummer Joey Castillo was eventually announced as his long-term replacement in August 2002.

Songs for the Deaf marks the last appearances on a Queens of the Stone Age record of former members Brendon McNichol (lap steel), Gene Trautmann (drums) and Nick Oliveri (bass). The album also included the first musical contribution to a Queens of the Stone Age album by multi-instrumentalists Natasha Shneider and Alain Johannes. Jeordie White (of Marilyn Manson fame) reportedly auditioned for the band in 2002 but lost out to Troy Van Leeuwen, who joined the band as a touring member in support of Songs for the Deaf. White did appear on the album, however, making a brief cameo appearance as a radio DJ. Shneider, Johannes, and Van Leeuwen would subsequently become full time Queens of the Stone Age members and contribute to the follow-up album Lullabies to Paralyze, released in 2005.

Another change in personnel came with the arrival of producer Eric Valentine, who had previously worked on a pair of Dwarves albums with Nick Oliveri. Valentine was actually a requirement by Interscope and did not do his job according to Homme, who commented that "[Valentine] just recorded it actually, it says production, he was only there to record the beginning of it."

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This was the first QOTSA album that I didn't buy. I loved the first one, thought the second was patchy so didn't bother with this. I have heard it all the way through though and it IS good. Great example of deliberately nuts drum sound actually working.

I'm done with this. I'll give it 3/5 cos there's no denying it's good. It's moreso the type of album you might listen to driving around with the window down on a sunny summer's day, rather than on a pissy-wet-december-morning.

I can see how and why people would be mad for this. Mostly, its not really for me. The songs are catchy but are a bit throwaway, if truth be told.

And I don't like Dave Grohl and I think he's on this album, so there's that.

Also, this didn't really get a look in with the Queen album on the go at the same time.

Good, not great.

I never bothered with this when it came out because josh homme and dave grohl, who could be arsed?

anyway, just had my first listen on the walk in this morning. that's about 40 minutes and there are still 6 tracks to get through. ordinarily this would be far too long, but I can see the point in them making this as big a behemoth of an album as possible.

It is incredible! It would be easy to dismiss without listening, which i was fully prepared to do, but I have done a complete 180 from perception to reality.

Maybe I'm in a good mood because it is Friday and christmas next week, and without finishing it fully once, I'm calling it...a classic

BONA_FIDE_stamp_logo_400x400.png

A few songs from this also were previously recorded by the desert sessions and possibly another band the bassist was in, which qotsa have done a fair bit. I prefer desert sessions hanging tree tbh.

i haven't done the first listen yet

i can't get past the head on this guy

josh_homme.jpg

and the association with culchie rocker tools 'rocking out' to that nicotine marijuana co co co co co cocaine one

although i used to own a copy of their album with the sky blue cover

Music information in first post provided by The AudioDB

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back