Cops and people of colour (1 Viewer)

It's great to have politics that is so local but when it comes to punishment there's gotta be a better way. Our system isn't great either - the government of the day elects judges as they see fit (to the highest courts anyway, not sure how it works at district level), that should really be changed. There was some mention of it on RTE yesterday with regard to the new programme for government, must have a look into that.
There's more of an enforcement issue in ireland as I see it.
Sentencing is generally too low. But if you're a criminal in Ireland there's a good likelihood of getting away with it far more often than not.
The Gards in Dublin for the most part dgaf.

There's more of an enforcement issue in ireland as I see it.
Sentencing is generally too low. But if you're a criminal in Ireland there's a good likelihood of getting away with it far more often than not.
The Gards in Dublin for the most part dgaf.

I'm not 100% sure about the enforcement/sentencing part - we hear all the cases of 'shocking' sentences but not much else from the court system, the headlines look bad but the reality may be different.
I'd much prefer a police force that is somewhat lax than one that is overbearing.

I'd much prefer a police force that is somewhat lax than one that is overbearing.
I dunno where you strike the right balance. But you let people away with things and they become emboldened.
Gilligan was shooting people with impunity so he shot Guerin.
There's lads running around town battering people with no comeback and now that poor youngfella has his face literally destroyed in Dame Lane.
There is no fear of the Gards from thugs, that I've ever experienced. It is standard for kids down by me in Ballybough to scream dogs abuse at Gards and the Gards to just walk on by like they can't hear it.
And no fear of the system as a whole. Sentencing is far less of a deterrent to committing a crime than the likelihood of getting caught.

Gards aren't from Dublin by and large. They have no ownership or investment in it. They are clocking hours til retirement. And I hear that from disillusioned Gards also. There's a massive degree of cynicism and resistance to change within the ranks. They don't care about crime as much as they do about their shoe allowance.

I think we may have as near to the right balance as you'll get, we are a low crime country and the absolute thugs aside (and everywhere has them) people generally respect the gardai and stay out of trouble. There seems to be a certain class that engages in crime and racks up massive amounts of offences, for most others the police aren't a presence in their lives.

That use of a robot bomb is pretty bizarre, makes sense though.

Dallas shooting suspect identified as U.S. Army veteran

VUwK1Jpp.jpg

https://www.justice.gov/opa/file/883366/download

Discrimination against African Americans

BPD’s targeted policing of certain Baltimore neighborhoods with minimal oversight or accountability disproportionately harms African-American residents. Racially disparate impact is present at every stage of BPD’s enforcement actions, from the initial decision to stop individuals on Baltimore streets to searches, arrests, and uses of force. These racial disparities, along with evidence suggesting intentional discrimination, erode the community trust that is critical to effective policing.

BPD disproportionately stops African-American pedestrians. Citywide, BPD stopped African-American residents three times as often as white residents after controlling for the population of the area in which the stops occurred. In each of BPD’s nine police districts, African Americans accounted for a greater share of BPD’s stops than the population living in the district. And BPD is far more likely to subject individual African Americans to multiple stops in short periods of time. In the five and a half years of data we examined, African Americans accounted for 95 percent of the 410 individuals BPD stopped at least 10 times. One African American man in his mid-fifties was stopped 30 times in less than 4 years. Despite these repeated intrusions, none of the 30 stops resulted in a citation or criminal charge.

BPD also stops African American drivers at disproportionate rates.

BPD disproportionately searches African Americans during stops. BPD searched African Americans more frequently during pedestrian and vehicle stops, even though searches of African Americans were less likely to discover contraband. Indeed, BPD officers found contraband twice as often when searching white individuals compared to African Americans during vehicle stops and 50 percent more often during pedestrian stops.

Racial disparities in BPD’s arrests are most pronounced for highly discretionary offenses: African Americans accounted for 91 percent of the 1,800 people charged solely with “failure to obey” or “trespassing”; 89 percent of the 1,350 charges for making a false statement to an officer; and 84 percent of the 6,500 people arrested for “disorderly conduct.” Moreover, booking officials and prosecutors decline charges brought against African Americans at significantly higher rates than charges against people of other races, indicating that officers’
standards for making arrests differ by the race of the person arrested.
and so on

Imagine the Irish police got their hands on a few MRAP's

Also, good piece there. America loves its militarized Police. What a country!

Last edited:
Walter Scott shooting: mistrial declared in case against former police officer
Although Slager conceded under cross-examination that the video showed he had opened fire after his Taser dropped to the ground and when Scott was at least 17ft away from him, he argued at the time of shooting his “mind was like spaghetti”, meaning he had perceived a greater threat.

Slager also said he was unable to remember why he could be seen in the video retrieving the Taser and dropping it next to Scott’s dead body, but denied it had been an attempt to plant evidence.

Slager’s defense team took an aggressive stance throughout the trial, first attempting to have the video struck out as evidence, and then accusing the witness who recorded it, Feidin Santana, of being ideologically opposed to law enforcement and unpatriotic for not handing the film over to authorities immediately.

"The legal system is asking untrained civilians to de-escalate panicky cops."

Been held at gunpoint by cops in a few states, and it's yessir nosir, threebagsfullsir all the fucking way.
Even without guns, every interaction with a cop is a debate over the custody of your body.

Her advice is good, but there's still numerous situations where she doesn't get out of that driveway alive.
And I likely do.

HAving grown up in a state where having long hair was ALMOST as bad as being black I can attest that the cops are lawless and won't hesitate to threaten you with planting evidence if it suits their agenda.

And later as a white guy with short hair I can attest that a shitload of southern cops are as racist as a human can be.

But sure they're reflecting a wildly racist system, so they're a symptom of much bigger social problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back