What gig did you go to last night? (6 Viewers)

i found the album to be a real curate's egg, not least lisa o'neill's involvement (so much so that i was feverishly checking her website to make sure she wouldn't be announced as a last-minute special guest

ha ha, you must have been having palpitations when he called out for her just before that song she sings on on the album.

great review. I don't know the album at all. I bought it at the gig. I remembered some of the songs from the last time I saw them.

The first time I heard a song by them was on BBC 6music when they playlisted the lead single (can't recall the name of it). I was taken a bit aback by it, specifically when Khan started singing. It was so abrupt that it seemed out of place. Maybe it was bad production, or maybe its just because I wasnt expecting it. It took a bit of getting used to, but I've warmed a lot to it since.

The tribute to Dougie Paul was nice too. I saw Yorkston in the workmans a few days after Paul passed and he was a bit all over the place. It was one of the most depressing gigs I'd ever been to, but also kind of sweet to see him wearing his heart on his sleeve.

The banter was great at this too. Thats nothing unusual for a Yorkston show but the chemistry between the 3 of them was great - not just the playing, but also the craic they were having between songs.

ha ha, you must have been having palpitations when he called out for her just before that song she sings on on the album.

great review. I don't know the album at all. I bought it at the gig. I remembered some of the songs from the last time I saw them.

The first time I heard a song by them was on BBC 6music when they playlisted the lead single (can't recall the name of it). I was taken a bit aback by it, specifically when Khan started singing. It was so abrupt that it seemed out of place. Maybe it was bad production, or maybe its just because I wasnt expecting it. It took a bit of getting used to, but I've warmed a lot to it since.

The tribute to Dougie Paul was nice too. I saw Yorkston in the workmans a few days after Paul passed and he was a bit all over the place. It was one of the most depressing gigs I'd ever been to, but also kind of sweet to see him wearing his heart on his sleeve.

The banter was great at this too. Thats nothing unusual for a Yorkston show but the chemistry between the 3 of them was great - not just the playing, but also the craic they were having between songs.

i don't want to turn this into a(nother) lisa-bashing session, but relief sums it up alright. i'd missed the last few jy visits for a variety of reasons (but i've been keeping up with the albums) so the pull of reacquaintance far outweighed the push of a dreaded guest vocalist.

i thought there were a few tunes that would have benefitted from a percussive element. tablas might have been a bit full-on - the ghatam has a subtler, more colourful sound but if it's too southern it has a northern cousin, the gharha.

i agree about the chemistry and some of jy's lines and stories - e.g. the h&m trousers one and the memories of doogie - and there was a distinct last-night-of-the-tour vibe to much of it, but he also told a couple of the worst, tumbleweed jokes i've ever heard from a stage!

Brought my da to see Glimmermen in Tullamore last night. We both really enjoyed it. They sounded deadly. The new album's fantastic. He really wanted to go see them because they used 1 of his photos for the front cover.

Grandaddy in Vicar Street. Absolute magic. Not seen them since 2001.

First show of their tour, so I thought it might be fairly ropey, but apart from a small dip (for me) after the initial rush of classic tunes during Fare Thee Not Well Mutineer (not mad about that one) the whole show was a triumph.

Some of the videos playing behind them were hilarious, especially the Kung Fu cat and the one they had on during El Caminos in the West that had a load of kids dressed up as the band taunting their manager, chuckling away I was.

Crowd were great as well, really nice atmosphere.

Windings were great as well, first time I've seen them, regretfully. Bought a couple of CDs though.

Grandaddy in Vicar Street. Absolute magic. Not seen them since 2001.

First show of their tour, so I thought it might be fairly ropey, but apart from a small dip (for me) after the initial rush of classic tunes during Fare Thee Not Well Mutineer (not mad about that one) the whole show was a triumph.

Some of the videos playing behind them were hilarious, especially the Kung Fu cat and the one they had on during El Caminos in the West that had a load of kids dressed up as the band taunting their manager, chuckling away I was.

Crowd were great as well, really nice atmosphere.

Windings were great as well, first time I've seen them, regretfully. Bought a couple of CDs though.

I was at that too. Was a terrific gig. First time I'd seen them in about 13 years.

Another one from Windings/Grandaddy. Loved it, brilliant vibe in the venue last night. Never seen them before and wouldn't have called myself a superfan or anything, but the initial blast of 30 minutes was overwhelmingly brilliant.

Windings need a rig rundown. Whipping out Bass IVs and monster reverb pedals. The are on to a winner with the new tune they started with.

cate le bon in workmans club. it was good though i thought a little short.

support was sweet baboo (who also played with cate le bon's band), he was enjoyable due to his lack of preparation.

I was at that. I really enjoyed her guitar playing.

Picked up her album as a birthday present for a friend who was going to go with me but got ill and got CLB to sign it for her and put a HB message on it. She's very Welsh sounding.

went to see Hooton Tennis Club in the Grand Social. They've had a couple of albums out in the past year and a bit and both are great (one was only released last weekend).

I think they're an excellent band. They rattle off short little guitar-based pop tunes and the songs came across really well live.

There were about 20 people at it, half of whom were either with the band, or were the support band. A real shame, especially when you consider some of the shite people turn out in absolute droves for.

Can see these catching fire over the next while.

Went to Porches in Whelan's that same night as Cate Le Bon. Was expecting a bigger crowd (ground floor only at maybe 70% capacity I'd say) but with Sleaford Mods & that Nightvale podcast thingy on the same night, it was conflict central.

Khruangbin in the Workman's. They shoulda just finished when the main set was through, an encore wasn't needed (don't even have enough songs for one).

Users who are viewing this thread

• rettucs
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back