Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (2002) (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
3.40 star(s) Rating: 3.40/5 5 Votes
Title: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Artist: Wilco
Released: 2002

Tracks:
1 - I Am Trying to Break Your Heart - 7:00
2 - Kamera - 3:32
3 - Radio Cure - 5:11
4 - War on War - 3:51
5 - Jesus, Etc. - 3:54
6 - Ashes of American Flags - 4:46
7 - Heavy Metal Drummer - 3:11
8 - I'm the Man Who Loves You - 3:58
9 - Pot Kettle Black - 4:03
10 - Poor Places - 5:20
11 - Reservations - 7:25

CD 2
1 - Camera - 3:44
2 - Handshake Drugs - 5:11
3 - Woodgrain - 1:43
4 - A Magazine Called Sunset - 2:39
5 - Bob Dylan's 49th Beard - 2:21
6 - More Like the Moon - 6:07

Overview:
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is the fourth album by Chicago-based rock band Wilco. The album was completed in 2001, but Reprise Records, a Warner Music Group label, refused to release it. Wilco acquired the rights to the album when they left the label. In September 2001, Wilco streamed the entire album for free on their website. Wilco signed with Nonesuch Records (another Warner label) in November of that year, and the album was officially released on April 23, 2002.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was a critical and commercial success, and is their best selling album, with over 500,000 copies sold in the U.S. and topping the Pazz and Jop critics' poll for 2002. The album reached number 13 on the Billboard top 200 chart. Critical success endured, and the album was widely listed among the greatest albums of the 2000s in many popular publications, including 3rd place in Rolling Stone's 100 Best Albums of the 2000s. It was Wilco's first album with drummer Glenn Kotche, and the last with multi-instrumentalist and songwriter Jay Bennett.

In 2012, Rolling Stone ranked the album at number 493 on its list of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I love this album. I'm just about to leave Dublin and will be without internet till Tuesday, but I want to type up something quickly anyway.

I have sympathy for the likes of nooly if this is their first time coming to this record or wilco in general. Back in the day when I was recommending this to random strangers on the internet I used to get them to listen to some Summerteeth or Being There beforehand, I thought it was important people got to know Tweedy a bit first before giving this album a go becuase I think/thought it needed some background, and Tweedy needed some credit in the bank before you could give this one the time it deserved before it delivered.

It's dense. It's smooth. It feels like it is falling apart at times on side 1 before it all comes together in the second half. I am trying to break your heart, for the first 4 minutes it sounds like they are playing a differnet song and it is only just held together by glenn kotche's drumming. We get about 30 seconds of everyone together, then it starts to fall apart again. It is just wonderful.

With respect to Tweedy as a songwriter, he is up there as an american great to me. Everything here feels sincere.

I'll skip ahead to just to mention what I think of as the spine to this album, the trio of I'm The Man Who Loves You, Pot Kettle Black, Poor Places.

The solo on I'm the man who loves you. The only one on the album, and Tweedy takes it despite not being a lead player, and obviosuly that it is why it is great. I wish I could play like that.

The layers that come in as Poor Places reaches it's half way point, then those rumbling drums come in to bring it home. This is just one of the best records by one the best bands in the world. In 2002 it was the best record by the best band in the world.

Back then Wilco felt like a total secret. Myself and my older brother were the only people I knew that had heard of them. A few years later I started finding people that were into them on message boards, I still know those people now. Music matters.

Gotta run, but this is in GOAT territory for me. It is going to take newcomers a few listens but I hope it clicks.

This is perhaps the album I am most familiar with out of the TAC so far. I absolutely adored it at the time, it hit me like a lightning bolt and it was the first Wilco album I gave any time to. It felt like an obvious comment on 9/11 etc even though it was written and recorded before that fateful day.

Now, in contrast, I find it hard to sit through. It still has absolute gems like Heavy Metal Drummer, War on War, and highlight of their career, Jesus Etc. but I find the years have taken the lustre I once heard from most of the album

That initial tracklisting in the first post appears to be some bonus disc extra rerelease as several of those 2nd disc tracks were demos. The demos were put online a year or so after the album came out and it included a number of songs that were the equal or superior of many of the songs that made the cut.

It all feels so long ago.

This was a messy breakup album for me, and can't really exist outside of that. I won't drear on about it.

Music information in first post provided by The AudioDB

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back