The idea of "selling out" (1 Viewer)

666_500_csupload_64341788.jpg

article-2068291-0DCE9D1E00000578-943_468x286.jpg

Old news, but I hadn't heard about this until last night
In my mind Peter Garret was still an anrgy eco-activist. When I think of a highly politically-charged pop song that was a massive hit I think of this;
He got elected to the Australian Labour Party, made some pretty controversial and eye popping decisions ( approving uranium mining on aboriginal lands, creating a program that took money from aboriginal people if their kids didn't attend school...), got accused of selling out, and has now retired from politics.
I don't expect much from pop stars and their political stances but I found this all a bit sad and disappointing (years after the fact)
Peter Garrett – the biggest sell-out in Australian politics | melange
Rock star turned politician branded a 'sell out' - Australasia - World - The Independent
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

followed in the queue by this which is hilarious despite not knowing anything about australian politicians except that tony abbot's a cunt and julia gillard has a big arse

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There was a good cartoon in the PITCHFORK REVIEW (no less) by Zak Sally about selling out recently. Doesn't appear to be online but the basic point was how very fucking dare you try and say that these things aren't even worth thinking about. As if "sure we all have to make a living" is a good enough excuse to not even consider the implications of it all. So there.

There was a good cartoon in the PITCHFORK REVIEW (no less) by Zak Sally about selling out recently. Doesn't appear to be online but the basic point was how very fucking dare you try and say that these things aren't even worth thinking about. As if "sure we all have to make a living" is a good enough excuse to not even consider the implications of it all. So there.
I never knew he was a comic artist. I presume that's why he left Low?

I often wonder how much delorentos get for tubridy using part of one of their songs as his jingle

or even whether they know about it, and whether they'd put a stop to it if they did know

and before he moved back to Radio 1 he was using part of a Hal song as his jingle. Again, I wonder if he paid any mula.

Licensing your music to earn some money is grand, changing your style for a more commercial sound to make money is selling out. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back