Danzig - Danzig (1988) (1 Viewer)

One more listen to go, will try and listen to it loud over the next couple of days. My only major thoughts so far is that it sounds like he's saying "Mr. Tayto" on the first track's chorus.

Also, I feel the comparisons to The Cult and the The Doors made in this thread are a bit harsh, this is nowhere near as boring as those two bands. I don't love it but it certainly has a decent energy to it.

Second listen. I'm really starting to enjoy the first 4 or 5 songs on here. I find it hard to keep interested for too much longer after that. Maybe on the 3rd listen.

It's grand, like. I don't see whats amazing or groundbreaking about it. But its definitely decent.

Third listen now and I've cranked the volume as I've the house to myself. Won't get it all listened to as I'm heading to work in a few minutes but liking this a lot more today. The riffs are great, Danzig's voice is deadly and the whole thing has a brooding atmosphere that really works for me. I think I might be buying this.

I like it. Its quality #cans music. I agree there's a lull in attention somewhere after the first few tracks, and mother being such a tune sortof nullifies the latter sorrounding tracks for me. I'd say i'd keep half this one. I like the really no-brainer style of riffs. His voice is fun. Pretty sure I have the 'mother' 12 on purple vynils.

Gonna try singing it in the car someday soon with extra croonface.

angry-danzig.jpg

i started getting into it after a few listens but now i've gotten bored of it

i think i'll probably come back to it and find it enjoyable enough sometime

Quite like this cover

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

sensitive Danzig. He should do more piano crooner stuff.

Third listen now. The latter part of the album is starting to feel a bit easier now.

I'm now finding 'The Hunter' to be one of the standout tracks on the album and it pretty much passed me by on first and second listens. If I heard this song in isolation I'd think it great.

An interesting one. It does seem to unravel itself on repeated (but not too many) listens.

I agree with @nooly that I reckon I'll end up enjoying this a lot more when I put it down for a bit and come back to it. I wouldn't say I'm bored of it, yet.

That song really stood out to me on first listen.

Plus, LOL "She Rides".

Pretty incredible video there.

Listening one last time before moving onto this week's album. This will be listen number 5, less than usual for TAC albums, but I couldn't get to this until monday.

So I think I like this a lot now. I'm not sure what part its going to play in my music listening after this though. I don't think the prospect of listening to the album right through is one that appeals that much, so maybe it'll be one to dip in and out of.

And I almost certainly don't see the appeal of this in the same way that my metaller mates in school did. I don't see anything metal about this. This is a rock and roll album. I'd imagine Danzig was a major influence on a lot of rock and grunge (and maybe even metal), that followed. But, whether my metaller mates came to this because other stuff they liked cited him as an influence, I don't know. I doubt it though. I did my inter cert in 1989. Mine, and my mates' musical 'awakening' would have been around then, so they would have been listening to this when it was fairly new.

I also wonder where this was pigeonholed in terms of genre. Was it Rock? Was it Grunge? Was it Metal? I know the folks who listen to all those are probably the same people so maybe it doesn't matter.

Was there a lot of snobbery in metal?

I recall my best mate (who I never heard mention Danzig) getting into metal. He liked a Guns'n'Roses album, then started listening to stuff like Skid Row and those fuckers who had that bullshit 'pretty fly for a while guy' song. Not long after he 'progressed onto Metallica, AC/DC.

We're talking about 13/14 year olds here.

Anyway, the reason I mention this is that he wouldn't go near that early stuff he liked when he started liking Metallica. So, obviously, there was a lot of snobbery there.

Which makes me wonder about Danzig. Was he not a bit 'soft' for the more discerning metaller?

Though I'm asking that on the back of listening to one album. Maybe he finds satan later on.

I'll give it 3/5. Would push to 3.5, but can't, cos...

There are some amazing songs on there. Amazing enough to make me wonder why the hell I never heard them before. Why didn't mainstream radio, the likes that would happily play a nirvana song, not pick up on something like 'Mother'?

Or would he have been a bit too niche here in Ireland (and equally so in the UK - the tastemakers).

Poor Danzig. Seems like he was too good to be ignored. At the very least, I hope he got really rich.

Edit: actually, fuck it, will give it 4/5 cos of the descriptions beside each rating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back