Farewell TXFM; welcome... (1 Viewer)

October 26th is the last day of broadcast.
(according to Joe Donnelly)

I heard him on some other radio station there lately, so I'm sure he'll be grand. Kelly-Anne Byrne, Nadine O'Regan and Claire Beck all have shows on Today FM now. I'm sure there must be a couple of others there too, so hopefully all the sound heads there will get sorted.

Sincerly hope I never have to hear caddell on radio again. Anytime I think about how sad it is that a station like this couldn't survive, I only have to think of that prick to; a) not be surprised, and, b) to think, good riddance.

Sincerly hope I never have to hear caddell on radio again. Anytime I think about how sad it is that a station like this couldn't survive, I only have to think of that prick to; a) not be surprised, and, b) to think, good riddance.

Back when i had a blog I wrote a fairly light hearted (I thought) and very quick (literally jotted the notes for it down on a piece of paper when I was stuck in traffic) thing called "20 things to improve Phantom" or some shit like that. There may have been about 3 or 4 slightly cutting things in it but the tone was generally quite positive; Edel Coffee plays good, quite adventurous stuff at 11 AM (this was when she was playing Battles every day), do more of that. Nadine's arts show on Saturday is good but it's on too early in the morning for me to listen. I think I slagged off the Canadian guy who did the morning show.

I thought nothing of it but I heard later on that it caused quite a stir in the offices and they probably spent more time thinking about it then I did writing it.

Anyway, a few years later I get an e-mail out of the blue from John Cadell, it was about some unrelated thing but at the end he said that he'd read that thing and thought it was a load of shit or something similar. Needless dig, I thought it was hilarious.

I'm not the sort to ever really be deliberately provocative for the sake of it but after that e-mail I was delighted that I'd wound him up so much.

last day tomorrow.

my disdain of Caddell is still preventing me from turning it on again.

Was listening to Claire Beck on Today FM on saturday. She's finished there too. Heading off on her travels. Best of luck to her.

Hope the rest of them (the sound ones) get sorted.

I'm going to miss it. Where else will I hear music by All Tvvins, adverts for All Tvvins music, adverts for All Tvvins gigs, interviews with All Tvvins, and shows hosted by All Tvvins?

I'm going to miss it. Where else will I hear music by All Tvvins, adverts for All Tvvins music, adverts for All Tvvins gigs, interviews with All Tvvins, and shows hosted by All Tvvins?

I know them and they're sound.

(Just don't ask me to listen to them.)

There is a light that never goes out: Why we still need an alternative music radio station

what a pile of nonsense.

When Phantom was pirate it was decent. Decent enough, and with sufficient interest (remember they beat competition to their license from a pack of pricks, including Paul McGuinness) for them to become legit.

When they became legit they were still pretty decent. I listened a lot at first, but the quality quickly started to drop. Fucking sinister Pete and Richie Ryan (who seemed incapable of talking about anything other than football) got on my tits.

Then they got a PPI award. Maybe I imagined it but that seemed a big turning point in their fortunes. I felt it started to become far more playlisted than before and became mind-numbingly bland, to the extent that you had to make an effort to seek out anything half decent. By the end I was probably only listening to Pearl on a sunday morning, and Derek Byrne the odd friday night.

Then they started treating their staff like shit, and there were a pile of walkouts. Pearl left, as did that Donegal wan that was on every morning (can't recall her name). Fair fucks to them.

When they went tits-up I was nearly happy about it, because of that.

When TXFM started I was cynical about it, and kept away from it for a while. But I grew to like it well enough. I thought Joe Donnelly was worth a listen but he became a condecending pain in the arse (don't fucking dare disagree with him cos he's always right).

There was a show called Pogo Radio on a saturday night that I used to love. It was one of the things that made the station remotely interesting. Then they scrapped it in favour of TX fucking anthems, where they just played a load of songs that are already overplayed on the radio.

Kelly-Anne was always great and by the end, she was all I listened to. Once they cut their programming and she got the chop, they were pretty much dead to me.

In short, fuck this lamenting shite. The reason they're going off air, that not enough people listened to them, is that they weren't good enough. Thats why that fucking article annoys me. Its like he's describing some other radio station and is pretending its TXFM he's talking about (though admittedly it isn't an unbiased view he's espousing).

If 8Radio come along in their place (fingers crossed), I have no doubt they'll do better. I don't listen to them very much (because they're DAB-only at the moment), but I do follow what they do via twitter. They very much seem to have their shit together. Not surprising, given who's at the helm there.

If anything, TXFM has been stopping Dublin/Ireland from getting a decent 'alternative' music station.

Almost got through this post without mentioning Cadell, the single worst thing about Phantom/TXFM, negating almost everything good they had to offer.

Going legit is the problem. Big money backers/investors want a return. Radio stations make money through advertising. They have to convince advertisers that the station is drawing in a certain demographic, everything is scrutinized, the playlist gets more mainstream to up the listenership ect....

It's like people suggesting a thumped fm. If everything is done for free, great, you can play what you want. But if it went above board suddenly there is bills to be paid.... Playing nurse with wound on the breakfast show starts being questioned.

Going legit is the problem. Big money backers/investors want a return. Radio stations make money through advertising. They have to convince advertisers that the station is drawing in a certain demographic, everything is scrutinized, the playlist gets more mainstream to up the listenership ect....

right, but its not like its not possible to succeed via this model. What it boils down to is that they weren't very good at what they were supposed to be doing.

Jim Carroll wrote a piece there this morning and suggests the same thing. Basically, there was much to like about it, but it was outweighed by the bad. Ultimately, thats why people didn't listen. Nail on head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back