The WTF Thread (31 Viewers)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

'I'm too young to die': the disease of disadvantage forcing Indigenous children to have open-heart surgery
in rural and remote Indigenous communities throughout Australia, and particularly in the Northern Territory, it is not uncommon to see children as young as seven carrying the long scars of open-heart surgery running vertically down their chest
Rheumatic heart disease (RHD) is caused by infection with the highly contagious group A streptococcus bacterium, which leads to a condition known commonly as “strep throat”. Most Australian children acquire strep throat at some point but are usually only exposed to the infection once or twice and, when they are, receive fast treatment with antibiotics.

But, in disadvantaged communities, where overcrowding and substandard housing is common, children are exposed to group A streptococcus bacterium constantly and often suffer from recurrent bouts of disease. Treatment with antibiotics is often delayed or non-existent due to woeful access to health services. This repeated and prolonged infection and exposure to strep can lead to a condition called acute rheumatic fever, an inflammatory disease that can involve the heart.

well what would that so-called journo know about it; he has the brainpan of a stagecoach tilter

sam-biddle-staff.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back