Miscellaneous Articles You Should Read (3 Viewers)

Very long and very good

There is no such thing as western civilisation | Kwame Anthony Appiah

our modern concept of western culture largely took its present shape during the cold war. In the chill of battle, we forged a grand narrative about Athenian democracy, the Magna Carta, Copernican revolution, and so on. Plato to Nato. Western culture was, at its core, individualistic and democratic and liberty-minded and tolerant and progressive and rational and scientific. Never mind that pre-modern Europe was none of these things, and that until the past century democracy was the exception in Europe – something that few stalwarts of western thought had anything good to say about

At the same time that the nation has achieved perhaps the most tolerant culture in U.S. history, the destruction of the anti-monopoly and anti-bank tradition in the Democratic Party has also cleared the way for the greatest concentration of economic power in a century. This is not what the Watergate Babies intended when they dethroned Patman as chairman of the Banking Committee. But it helped lead them down that path. The story of Patman’s ousting is part of the larger story of how the Democratic Party helped to create today’s shockingly disillusioned and sullen public.
How Democrats Killed Their Populist Soul

At the time of writing, Krugman was an Assistant Professor at Yale. When he finally published and publicly announced the paper 30 years later, this is what he had to say: "Thirty years ago I was an oppressed assistant professor, caught up in the academic rat race. To cheer myself up I wrote — well, see for yourself. Joshua Gans of the University of Melbourne scanned a copy of the thing I wrote — back then academics did their work with typewriters, abacuses, and stone axes — and was good enough to send me a copy. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you The Theory of Interstellar Trade."

Fermat's Library | The Theory of Interstellar Trade annotated/explained version.

Yeah I read that the other day. Dunno really. Of course if they were around now they would be horrified by the rise of the right (as they were at the time). I'm pretty sure Adorno would have been appalled by the Internet. He was an awful snob in many ways and saw mass culture as irredeemably negative (and feeding fascism and capitalism). Benjamin had a more subtle take on all this though and saw the potential for it being a liberating force too. Their warnings about how easily fascism can materialize seemingly out of nowhere certainly resonate right now .....

Right yeah. I remember hating Adorno back in college because he just seemed to moan about anything that wasn't classical music, not really what you want to hear aged 19. I've come round to him in recent year by taking a step back from his personal opinions and just reading it as theory but he's such tough going I'm rarely willing to put the effort in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back