New album excitement (1 Viewer)

Listening to the new Boxed In album which came out today

Its like a cross between Washed Out, !!! and Hot Chip.

which sounds like a horrendous combination but really its not bad. Pop it on late at night in the background. Grand stuff.

Even though I've never been much of a U2 fan I always get exited when i hear they have a new album coming out. I recently read that they're making the next one in the kind of creative frenzy that produced Zooropa and I've fallen for it. It really could be a late blossoming for them

What about the new Metallica album. Are you excited for that?!
I had a deep reply to this, but thanks Virgin fucking media. It's gone. Lost forever.

Basically I'll never be as excited about something as I was then, cos now I'm old. That's it.

And Metallica will never release an album as good as Master of Puppets. In fact, no one will. Ever again. So that's it. Music is done. I've less time for new things. I don't know if new music is better or worse than before. I tell a lie, I do know. It's worse. But past of what takes me back and has me still listening to Justice and Puppets (for example) is I still get a vicarious thrill from it, like I'm listening to it through my younger ears. I'd say a good 90% of my listening was released before 1992.

But that's life. It's harder to give a shit or find the time.

This is going to sound like an advert for Spotify, but I find it to be a pretty decent recommendation engine. When you make playlists it suggests songs that you may want to add. Every Monday it creates a new custom playlist of stuff you may like based on what you listen to in general. If your equally busy/lazy enough that finding new music has become a chore then this thing works quite well to find some gems.

This is good for weekly new releases, updated every Friday (and previous week of albums deleted, so check it religiously or setup an IFTTT to archive it).
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You should also have a weekly auto-generated playlist from Spotify that updates every Friday with new releases based on your listening habits called Release Radar. It rolled out last month, not sure if it's everywhere yet.

Got overexcited about this one (does a reissue count?) and bought the damn thing. Now I can't eat for the month...
GAS - BOX. Vinyl Deluxe LP box set. Norman Records UK.

probably does count as voigt doesn't seem to (re)issue the same versions of any of the albums, frequently tweaking, re-editing or lengthening certain tracks, e.g.
:

lixenixen
March 30, 2012
edited over 4 years ago
referencing Nah Und Fern, CD, Album, RE, RM + CD, Album, RE, RM + CD, Album,, KOMPAKT CD66

To comment on the review below: the main difference between Nah und Fern and the original Gas CDs on Mille Plateaux are with "Gas" and "Königsforst". As pointed out by Plaidzebra, the tracklist on "Gas" is different: tracks 1 and 3 on the original album have been replaced by completely different tracks on the Nah und Fern. On the original album, track 1 is essentially a slower, beatless variation of track 2, so I can see why Voigt might've thought it was superfluous. The original track 1 does have its charm, though – it sounds like stepping into a steam bath, a fitting opener for an album galled “Gas”.

Even sadder is the loss of the original track 3 of "Gas", as it has a cool, cosmic vibe that's a bit different from the rest of the album. It also has a crisper, housier sound than anything else on this album, or the following three Gas albums. As such, it’s closer to the Gas tracks that preceded the first album, and this is perhaps the reason Voigt chose to replace it. The new track 3 on Nah und Fern is more in sync with everything else, but sadly it's not as good as the original track 3.

The other major change is between track 5 of the two versions of "Königsforst". It's the same track, but on Nah und Fern it has been compressed or something, which makes the strings sound louder, but which also causes it lose a lot of its depth. This change is inexplicable, as the uncompressed version on the original "Königsforst" clearly sounds better. The remastering ends up damaging the solemn, deeply spiritual groove of what is possibly the best Gas track of them all.

Aside from the changes outlined above, the differences between Nah und Fern and the original CDs are not significant: track 6 of "Zauberberg" is 3.5 minutes longer on Nah und Fern, and some other tunes have also been extended to a lesser degree, but they sound pretty much the same on both versions. Nah und Fern is still a great buy, especially considering its low price, but sadly the changes to "Gas" and "Königsforst" mean you still have to dig up the original records to experience these albums to their fullest.
can't fathom why the debut 3lp isn't included though (the only one i have on original vinyl), so it's hardly the definitive gas set. there's also a chunk of compilation tracks and the gas book/cd yet to be vinyled.

prices had gone sky high for originals, so at least these are in print again.

probably does count as voigt doesn't seem to (re)issue the same versions of any of the albums, frequently tweaking, re-editing or lengthening certain tracks, e.g.
:

can't fathom why the debut 3lp isn't included though (the only one i have on original vinyl), so it's hardly the definitive gas set. there's also a chunk of compilation tracks and the gas book/cd yet to be vinyled.

prices had gone sky high for originals, so at least these are in print again.
Interesting- had heard the Nah und Fern CDs were tweaked but hadn't known exactly what and where. Still a phenomonal collection and in my all time top handful of releases.
Overall the complete discography seems to be hard to pin down.Gaseous, as it were...

I'm getting sick of building up the list in my head of albums I want to get only to FINALLY get to a shop and go COMPLETELY BLANK.
I caved and bought the new Ghost EP on iTunes and that has worked out well. Fuck it, I may just continue to do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back