Trigger Warning (1 Viewer)

If we stopped naming things after people who've achieved a lot (James Watson, being the co-discoverer of the structure of DNA, falls very firmly into this category) if they weren't sound, then we'd run out of names pretty fast. Was O'Connell sound? St. Stephen? How about Ball and his bridge, or McGillycuddy and his reeks?

Should we go back and audit all the names we have? Maybe we should. Maybe we shouldn't name things after people at all.

/me looks into his heart

Actually, it turns out I have no opinion on this at all

If we stopped naming things after people who've achieved a lot (James Watson, being the co-discoverer of the structure of DNA, falls very firmly into this category) if they weren't sound, then we'd run out of names pretty fast. Was O'Connell sound? St. Stephen? How about Ball and his bridge, or McGillycuddy and his reeks?

Should we go back and audit all the names we have? Maybe we should. Maybe we shouldn't name things after people at all.

/me looks into his heart

Actually, it turns out I have no opinion on this at all
I agree for the mostpart but I think Watson is a difficult case because even his discovery is rife with controversy; essentially Crick and Watson were only able to come up with the model of DNA's structure by going through another researcher's office while they were out of the building. It's a monumental discovery that is up there with getting to the moon and splitting the atom but Rosalind Franklin's name should have been on the original paper (Watson admits this himself and blames Franklin for being too stand-offish for them to approach, easy to say when you're the last person standing 60 years later) and should have shared in the Nobel Prize (though she died before it was awarded so perhaps that's a moot point).

Then again, people are up in arms about statues and building names in campuses across the world (wasn't there a controversy about a statue of a former slave owner in the UK who had contributed large amounts of money to the university back in the day?). Maybe I'm out of touch for thinking that these things are beyond the remit of whoever decides on naming things. It is worth noting that it is unusual these days for an actual academic to have a building or a lecture theatre named after them, universities usually offer that privilege to whoever donates the money to the construction programme. I think your name on a lecture theatre is worth about €1,000,000 from the last one of those funding drives I saw.

It is worth noting that it is unusual these days for an actual academic to have a building or a lecture theatre named after them, universities usually offer that privilege to whoever donates the money to the construction programme
This particular thing sickens my shit. Some prick makes a zillion quid grinding down his employees, then tries to make up for it by building a new wing on an Arts department. Fuck him, says I

We Messed Up | Autostraddle

Yesterday we published a review of Seth Rogen’s new animated film, Sausage Party. After we received feedback about it from our Trans Editor Mey Rude, the members of the QTPOC Speakeasy and Facebook commenters, we decided to un-publish the piece

After we published the review, we heard from Latinx readers who believe the portrayal of Salma Hayek’s taco was racist and that it reinforced harmful stereotypes. We heard from readers who were upset that we labeled the taco a lesbian when it seems more likely that she was bisexual. We heard from readers who questioned the consent of the sexual encounter between the taco and the hot dog bun. We heard from readers who found the taco to be a damaging portrayal of a predatory queer woman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back