NoMeansNo - Wrong (1989) (1 Viewer)

Two listens down and this could go either way. Both were on headphones walking around town so will try for a home stereo/high volume listen-through tomorrow.

I saw these lads once but couldn't remember whether I enjoyed it. Took me a little while to warm to this, but really digging it now.

Seems some local punk acts from 10 or 15 years ago weren't as wildly original as I thought they were at the time (that's not to say they weren't blimming deadly one way or the other)

Two listens down and this could go either way. Both were on headphones walking around town so will try for a home stereo/high volume listen-through tomorrow.
Finally got around to that third listen and will have to give this a horizontal thumbs (or one thumb up, one thumb down, whatever works for you). At its best, their energy works as a passable Fugazi-ish thing. There are some moments that are really great on it but they seem to deliberately sabotage themselves at times. Things like saying trite bollocks at the end of "Tired of Waiting" (the "there's a fine line" spoken bit, ugh, it's so cringeworthy), the pseudo-profundity of saying "Only so many songs can be song with two lips, two lungs and one tongue"* or the song "Big Dick" in its entirety. Also, what is up with the end of "Rags and Bones", who let the annoying guy up to the microphone to do those "Any old rags and bones?" backing vocals?

I really did expect to like this a lot more, I had high hopes with the cool cover and the opening song of the album sounded like it was going to be terrific (in fairness, the bass player is pretty fucking great throughout the album even if wanders into cheese territory on "Brainless Wonder" with his widdly-widdly-widdly bass). However, it just loses steam fairly quickly and sounds like a poor man's Dead Kennedys with a more modern production. Despite the rest of my post being overwhelmingly negative, when they get it right, they do really nail it. "The Tower" is ferocious and I love the way the female vocalist comes in on "The End of All Things". "All Lies" is a fantastic closer to the album and I wish more of the album had that focus and power.

I also liked one of the bonus tracks that @pete seemed to be dismissive of earlier. "State of Grace" sounds kind of like Pere Ubu's "Final Solution" in places and is the one song that really works for me all the way through.

* I did some back of a napkin calculations, I put it as infinite given the number of combinations of vocally produced sounds (which approaches infinity), style (finite but large) and length (infinitely divisible even across the lifetime of an individual). How many of these songs are good? That's probably finite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back