What gig did you go to last night? (9 Viewers)

In fairness when they played Gepetto it was like Oasis breaking into Don't Look Back in Anger.
there we are there

17859423_BellyatTheAcademyDubinbyColmKell.jpg

I didn't realise it was tonight. I can't as I'm in Portugal but I was in two minds about it. Agents of Fortune is a great album but I don't know whether a bunch of aul lads will do it justice or whether it will be over-polished from years of going through the motions with it. Plus it was 40 quid.

Adam Buxton's Bowie Bug thing in the Iveagh Gardens - very enjoyable, just the right balance of nerdy fandom and irreverent silliness.. the Youtube comment section stuff is funnier when he finds the stuff that's bizarre as opposed to just sub-literate but he didn't lean on that too much thankfully.

Yea I was at that too. I thought it was excellent. The second half was a little less slick with a few ums and ers in there from Buckles but I loved it. The time flew by.

Tommy Emmanuel. Sickeningly good player. Brilliant first half with chet atkins stuff n all. Second half a bit showy. RANDOM CLAPPING PERSON though. Annoying as fuck. Personal ultimatum: Its either leave the guitar down or ship the wife and kids off for a year, quit the job and just practice guitar 10 hours a day.

Last gig I was at was Gama Bomb about 2 weeks ago. Great fun. They had a Dublin trash metal band called Animator playing support who were savage. Worth checking out.

recently:

MFQ - 5 piece funk bank in the north west - literally Modern Funk Quintet. Great jams.

Elliot Maja in Galway. Ethereal. Inhabits a similar mistyness to enya.

Saul williams - one of the gigs of the year

Suede - the whole video/short film thing they have going is great. The bit where they just played hits and rocked out was shockingly good.

Too Fools - BIMM band. Simultaneously excellent and yet a little sterile. They all need to go and get wrecked and live a bit and then come back and write with the same chops, but some experience.

Emma Langford - Literally caught two songs. Wonderful voice and bit better then most lady with guitar things i've seen. Need to see a full show tbh.

Yorkston/Thorne/Khan in the workmans.

I love James Yorkston anyway but this project is really interesting and really good, mixing Yorkston's own brand of folk with Khan's Indian traditions. The styles are so contrasting that it really shouldn't work within the same song, but it does.

I'd seen them in June at Body and Soul and that was good fun. It was nice seeing them in a more intimate, indoor setting where they could play a longer set. About 1 hour 45 mins. Kind of exhausting, but really enjoyable.

Only about 50 people there. I can never figure out why James Yorkston doesn't draw bigger crowds. The first time I saw him play was about 6 or 7 years back in Crawdaddy and it was almost full. More recently he seems to play to half-empty venues. Doesn't seem to phase him though, which is good. I know plenty of bands wouldn't bother coming here if thats what they thought to expect.

The Ex. What a band! My only complaint is that I was standing at the front and there was a guy taking photos with and without flash for 45 minutes out of the hour they played for. I've been that annoying dickhead in the past though.

Yorkston/Thorne/Khan in the workmans.

5b7gvq.jpg

i was there too. i'm a big fan of yorkston's work myself, as well as north indian classical music, so i was intrigued, if a bit unsure, about the collaboration. i found the album to be a real curate's egg, not least lisa o'neill's involvement (so much so that i was feverishly checking her website to make sure she wouldn't be announced as a last-minute special guest, and only bought my gig ticket at 6.55 on the night), but hoped some of the songs might have grown wings since the recording.

a quick nod first to seamus fogarty for his engaging, enjoyable support slot: wry, unhurried songs with a nicely off-beat rhythm which left me, at least, wanting more, but the guy needs a crash course in self-promotion.

the y/t/k set started deceptively, going stealthily from 'they're just tuning up' to 'shit they've started' when the serpentine lines coalesced into an extended into to "the blues you sang", a tune that showed just how right this trio can get it and one which, since it first appeared on yorkston's last album, has clearly blossomed. where the kt tunstall verse starts on the original version, her place is now taken by khan's soaring vocal and by the end i was left marveling at how much can be achieved by one voice, using breath alone. which is to say nothing of his sarangi playing whose sweeps and keens underscored the song's emotional clout and added to the dizzying crescendos.

there were other songs throughout the gig that matched the heights of the opener, chiefly "broken wave" and "sufi song", but equally there were times when the instruments seemed to be doing battle with each other or added up to less than the sum of their parts, such as the covers of "women of the world/little black buzzer" and "song for thirza", as well as khan's new tune ("piya"?) which would have been better with just the bass accompaniment rather than jy's relentless two-chord chug anchoring it when it needed to break free.

thorne's two tunes showed another side to the group and "everything sacred" gave us the new (to me) combination of guitar (jt), nyckelharpa (jy) and sarangi (sk), while the last song of the night even showed off jy's double-bass talents.

despite their individual credentials, the trio still came across as a new band touring their first album (albeit with a second just recorded) - i.e. limited repertoire, moments of hesitation, etc. - but in the times their playing truly gelled, i got the sense that they could develop into a forceful unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back