What movie did you watch last night? (14 Viewers)

Saw Neon Demon last Friday. I think Refn is a chancer too (didn't like Drive much). It started well, got a bit boring, but the end was great. It's a vacuous film about a vacuous industry. Maybe that's the point. There were a few scenes that blew me away visually when I was watching but now can't remember what any of them were. I had coffee with a mate the next day who was adamant that he is a brilliant film-maker so I still have an open mind about it. Anyone seen Only God Forgives?

Skipped Rocky 5 and went straight for Rocky Balboa, boring rubbish.
Stranger Than Fiction. The trailer made it look like a good time romp. In reality it is a 2 hour struggle. There's a great film in there but it's totally bogged down.
Emma Thompson is brilliant, Maggie Gyllenhaal wears great clothes.

Watched the Warriors on Saturday, wife had never seen it.

So great. There is a bit I love when they run into the Orphans and the following scene or two. It's a prolonged bit of screen time without much dialogue and no backing soundtrack, just the hum of the city. I always pick up on that and think how cool it is.

saw The Neon Demon earlier today and I think it's one of the best films I've seen in a long time. Looks absolutely incredible, has a consistently fantastic soundtrack and has a really out there 3rd act. Like it or hate it, you won't soon forget about it

The Secret Life Of Pets - Very enjoyable. Needed more Leonard.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Weekend watching...

We Are the Best
Brilliant.

High Fidelity
No. I've waited this long without watching it, should have left it like that.

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
Eh, enjoyable? But I think Herzog & Cage were taking the piss out of us now and again.

A Cock And Bull Story. Taking filmed storytelling to the max. The chaos never dips. This film is much more enjoyable to think about afterwards than to watch.
cockandbull.jpg

A Cock And Bull Story. Taking filmed storytelling to the max. The chaos never dips. This film is much more enjoyable to think about afterwards than to watch.
cockandbull.jpg
I walked out on that in the cinema.

then i saw it a few years later on tv and discovered that

a) I walked out about 10 mins before the end
b) I really enjoyed it the second time around.

Road Games (2015) - IMDb

British/French co-production of two road hitchhikers in rural France whilst a 'road killer' is doing the rounds. Great soundtrack with some synth-y songs. The story had a few potholes which blew the lid early on who the culprit was. Dialogue was a bit unbelievable from a linguistic pov (i.e. one of the French guys was speaking idiomatic English but then couldn't remember what the word for 'cook' was, yeah right.). Good effort, could do better. 7/10.

snowtown

brilliant--i watched it about 5 years ago but it didn't have the same impact. it seemed disjointed to me at the time; i know the story better now so maybe that's the difference. or else i was just a fool. also i'm in adelaide now so that helps...

the way it's shot, and the long spaces and focus on faces, long landscape shots

the soundtrack is incredible

10 Cloverfield Lane

Loved it! John Goodman is fantastic in it as he always is in every movie he stars in. Very under rated actor imo. Great performances all round, gripping, entertaining and highly suspenseful. You will not be disappointed.

Just watched Midnight Special. Impressive cast - Michael Shannon, Joel Edgerton and Kirsten Dunst and a couple of others you'll recognise from Boardwalk Empire and The Night Of. An unusual sci fi. thriller about a child imbued with supernatural powers that has the attention of the FBI. A game of cat and mouse ensues.. The movie kept my attention throughout, some amazing visuals in this film, far out..a kind of arty ET for grown ups. Jeff Nicholls (Mud, Take Shelter) directs.

Mr. Nobody. I simultaneously enjoyed it and thought it would never fucking end.

Suicide Squad. Critics are right, it's a total mess. Fans of nice bottoms in fishnets will like it though.

Metallica - Some Kind Of Monster. Worth a rewatch, enjoyed it.

Fundamentals of Caring (maybe not the actual title). Phil Rudd makes anything watchable. When you want to watch something kind of serious with kids and don't mind lots of swearing. Nice film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back