What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (4 Viewers)

Started this one today.
On a separate note - I'm interested in reading some Neil Gaiman, maybe his short stories, but I'm pretty open to anything. Can anyone recommend a good place to start with his stuff?

Love The Goon Squad! Have re-read it a couple of times.

Apart from some short stories, Ive only read American Gods by Neil Gaiman, which was very good, but quite hefty. You might be better off starting with some of his slimmer books. The Ocean at the End of the Line got some nice reviews.

This site is quite comprehensive

Neil Gaiman  |  Neil's Work | Books

Started Doughnut by Tom Holt to get over Putin book. Watery auld shite so far to be honest. Looking for a way out, but will persevere as long as I can. The book about Putins Russia (who owns Russia or something) was interesting thought. Crazy shit. Ireland is a hotbed of honest politics and transparency in comparison.

Love The Goon Squad! Have re-read it a couple of times.

Apart from some short stories, Ive only read American Gods by Neil Gaiman, which was very good, but quite hefty. You might be better off starting with some of his slimmer books. The Ocean at the End of the Line got some nice reviews.

This site is quite comprehensive

Neil Gaiman | Neil's Work | Books
Cheers, I was on there the other day. Have a recommendation for Trigger Warning so might start there.

Recent reads:
13177274_10153777488793386_3240024094903636662_n.jpg

13256067_10153786799258386_1478062103380479498_n.jpg

13092161_10153789556498386_3853189424512057940_n.jpg

13239096_10153801522203386_1810881783006805740_n.jpg

13254360_10153808139038386_709964832384842413_n.jpg

AND WERE THEY ANY GOOD?
Yes, all of them. The Sacks book is a travelogue about going to Mexico with the American Fern Society, I learned a lot about ferns despite having no interest in plants beyond eating them.

The Dark Tower books are great, second time reading the whole thing in full.

Stanislaw Lem's short stories are fun, like a more hardcore Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. All about logical paradoxes, humour is drier but still worth a punt.

The Gombrowicz is a strange one, mixture of Agatha Christie melodrama/mystery and proper weird fiction headfuckery. Some great atmosphere and creeping dread in between social class commentary and tennis matches.

51D5%2BAsHk0L._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Art critic and poet Maggie Nelson's account of meeting, marrying and having a child with her transgender lover. Liberal doses of queer and feminist theory sprinkled throughout. Brilliant.

Here, @Lili Marlene, how are you getting on with this? I've managed about 25 pages in two months.
Slow enough alright, although that's more because i've had a TV heavy week. I'm about 60 pages in and enjoying it but it's not exactly addictive reading is it? I'm hoping SOMETHING BIG happens before the end of book 1 to hook me in proper.

Slow enough alright, although that's more because i've had a TV heavy week. I'm about 60 pages in and enjoying it but it's not exactly addictive reading is it? I'm hoping SOMETHING BIG happens before the end of book 1 to hook me in proper.
Yeah, I'm the same. Feels like something mysterious and interesting is afoot but then I remember that I've 800+ pages to get through and it fills me with dread.

51PFty-dALL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Only of interest if you have seen and are interested in Tarkovsky's Stalker film. A quick read. Enjoyable and informative. But as much about Geoff Dyer as it is about the film.

Reading this

What_Goes_Around_-_Emily_Chappell_-_cover.0.jpg

I'd read good reviews about it, though some of the reviews were qualified with, 'if you're from London you'll love it'.

About a third of the way in and I'm not really feeling it, to be honest. It still feels like she's introducing her life as a bike courier. I have a bad feeling the whole book will be like that, rather than imparting any amazing tales and/or anecdotes.

Its not very long though, so I'll finish it out.

this turned out to be an enjoyable little read. Nothing earth-shattering or amazing, but if you cycle in cities, theres lots to relate to.

Even if not, the insight to the world of the cycle-courier is interesting in itself.

sounds interesting

currently
Article%20Lead%20-%20narrow1009776794gp70e1image.related.articleLeadNarrow.353x0.gp70re.png1464933656689.jpg-300x0.jpg

liking it so far

it did give me a thought before reading (occasionally these things happen)

I remember as a child watching the Jetsons and thinking "Wow cool, all this is just a few years away". Now things set in the future are a bleak collapsed post apocalyptic world with round the clock surveillance. and to apply the same thought would be "F**k, this is in only a couple of years time" Most things set in the future nowadays are set in a bleak bleak future time.

Started this last week

51jbkgAnDoL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

an odd choice for me given I'm not that big a soccer fan. I was curious to read it though because of a recent interest I have in the Spanish civil war. I know the history of these clubs is very closely tied up with the civil war so its more than just a book about football. Good so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back