Stranger Things (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Odd, I could have sworn I posted on this thread previously...
Anyway @Bernie Lomax , no, not yet, but I might try it tonight. Does it lay on the 80s schtick heavy?
Not too much, it's well cast, and the actors don't just look like modern kids in 80s wardrobe, they look like proper 80s kids. It just feels a bit too familiar, ET and Super 8 are obvious influences.

Watched three episodes so far. Very enjoyable.

Watched EP 1. The 80s thing seems a bit much. I suppose this is what our parents felt watching Back To The Future. Look an idealised version of my youth!

I don't understand this comment. The 80s is the decade it's set in. That's like saying the 60s thing in Mad Men is a bit much.
Ah it's a bit different in that it's so referential, all that ET stuff! It's a bit like what Noah Hawley did with Fargo, constantly harking back to classic Coen tropes. I'm not really sure what the point is with either although I do enjoy it I have to say especially in the beginning of this series. If nothing else that bit of familiarity helps draw you in early on. Like you're in on a joke you only half get but you trust the teller more for it.

Thought it was enjoyable but the monster CGI was really shit! The sheriff actor is great. The young actors are great. As someone else said they actually look like 80's kids. Will's older brother really reminds me of River Phoenix when he played young Indiana Jones.
Winona is a bit OTT though which is interesting in itself because she probably got the biggest salary. Also Matthew Modine is going for some very specific shade of Hamminess.

great series. Nothing too new or earth-shattering about the format. Its like the Goonies-meets-Stephen-King, which is a winning combination for me.

I hope theres more.

Even if they do a true detective on it and keep the concept alive and just change the characters and storyline.

Did think I'd like this. Ended up enjoying it loads. As @scutter said, Goonies and ET are the real touchstones for it. They're two films I loved as a kid, and as a pastiche of that sort of thing this was excellent.

Also, 8 episodes was perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back