What's your favourite Wilco song? (1 Viewer)

It's a shame that, because of the falling out this song never made it onto YHF, Bennet put it on one of his solo records but it wasn't as good as this version.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I haven't seen that in years. I felt at the time though that there must have been some blazing rows between Jay and Jeff that didn't make the cut because nothing seemed that nasty in what I saw and then it was "oh, Jay it out of the band"
Yeah, the "big fight" in the film about the start of Heavy Metal Drummer is pretty tame, but then Tweedy did go and throw up after it. I didn't think they came off that well in the film with how alienated Jay Bennett becomes. But they did all seem to be getting sick of him. Was Tweedy addicted to painkillers around that time? I'm sure it wasn't the best environment to be living in, but it gave us some great records.

I love Bennett's leads in these performances too.

It's a shame that, because of the falling out this song never made it onto YHF, Bennet put it on one of his solo records but it wasn't as good as this version.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

have you got the yankee hotel foxtrot engineer demos? Should be easy to find to download. They are really good, this is on there and magazine called sunset.

I think it was around the time of A Ghost Is Born that he got clean so he probably was doing them around the time of the previous record yeah.

If I recall correctly, it was the migraines he was experiencing during the making of YHF that lead him into deep drug use. I think there's a scene when he's getting a bad migraine and goes off to lie down. I've always felt there must have been a huge chunk of film on the cutting room floor, or else arguments that weren't caught on camera because there's now way they would have fallen out like that over the Heavy Metal Drummer intro. Arguments like that, where people are passionate about the music, is what can make a good song great.

My personal favourite Wilco experience was seeing them live in South Carolina promoting A Ghost Is Born when Nils had just joined the band. A bulk of the set obviously consisted of YHF and AGIB material, which are my favourite albums by them. Every song was incredible and played with such heart.

Every time I've seen them since has been a disappointment as they haven't come close to that intensity imho. As the newer albums have come out, there's obviously been less room for YHF and AGIB stuff in the setlists, so that's probably a large part of why I haven't enjoyed them as much since.

Here's the setlist from that night. The way they played Hell is Chrome and Misunderstood that night will stick with me forever!

Setlist

1. Handshake Drugs
    Play Video
  2. Hell Is Chrome
    Play Video
  3. Hummingbird
    Play Video
  4. Muzzle of Bees
    Play Video
  5. Jesus, Etc.
    Play Video
  6. Ashes of American Flags
    Play Video
  7. War on War
    Play Video
  8. Theologians
    Play Video
  9. Company in My Back
    Play Video
  10. I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
    Play Video
  11. A Shot in the Arm
    Play Video
  12. At Least That's What You Said
    Play Video
  13. Poor Places
    Play Video
  14. Reservations
    Play Video
  15. Spiders (Kidsmoke)
    Play Video
  16. Encore:
  17. New Madrid
    (Uncle Tupelo cover)
    Play Video
  18. Political Science
    (Randy Newman cover)
    Play Video
  19. I'm the Man Who Loves You
    (with The Horns of Femur)
    Play Video
  20. The Late Greats
    Play Video
  21. Outtasite (Outta Mind)
    Play Video
  22. Encore 2:
  23. Happy Birthday
    (Mildred J. Hill cover) (To Deb Bernardini, Wilco's Visual Director)
    Play Video
  24. Misunderstood
    Play Video
  25. Heavy Metal Drummer
    Play Video
  26. Monday
    (with The Horns of Femur)
    Play Video
  27. I'm a Wheel
    Play Video
  28. Kingpin
    Play Video
  29. Something in the Air
    (Thunderclap Newman cover)

Missed that post. First time I saw them was on the AGIB tour too but had been a big fan for a long time before. Opened with Hell is Chrome, brilliant gig that one.

New song on the website. Not bad.
Wilco - Schmilco

I'm giving Star Wars a final spin before moving on to the new one.... it is fucking deadly. this is the best it has ever sounded to me.

getting blocked at that iveagh gardens gig has sprinkled some magic dust over random name generator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back