Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods' being made into a 6 Series for HBO (1 Viewer)

jonah

I about pissed myself as this is my favourite book. Not sure how this is going to work but I'm bloody excited all the same. Thoughts?

"Here's some good news for those readers upset that the television adaptation of Neil Gaiman's Sandman stalled out. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Tom Hanks' Playtone Productions will produce a whopping six seasons of Neil Gaiman's earthbound-deities novel American Gods.We had heard previously that Hanks had been looking into adapting Gaiman's acclaimed book for HBO, and now it looks like American Gods is getting that chichi cable treatment. Notes THR:

The series-in-development, revolving around the question "are you a god if no one believes in you?" is executive produced by [Gary] Goetzman and Hanks, with Bob Richardson, and Gaiman on board as executive producer and writer.
Each of the six seasons will be of 10-12, hour-long episodes with a budget of around $35-40 million per season, targeted to debut on the cable powerhouse in 2013 at the earliest [...] American Gods will be effects-heavy to do justice to the awe-inspiring power of the divine beings."There are some crazy things in there. We'll probably be doing more effects in there than it's been done on a television series," said Goetzman.

Before we get too jazzed up, it's worth adding the caveat that Playtone has other obligations before American Gods, namely a $100 million live-action treatment of the Mattel action figure Major Matt Mason.Hanks co-wrote this 3D family space adventure and is set to star and produce. Furthermore, Robert Zemeckis is in talks to direct — are we looking at Mars Needs Bosom Buddies? Anyway, here's hoping American Gods won't crumble under the weight of its own ambition."

Read more at ONTD:http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/60114925.html#comments#ixzz1P0kAxJXa

"There are currently 16 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 15 guests)"

Gaiman & Zemeckis were supposed to be adapting 'The Fermata' a few years ago. I wonder what happened?

Paul Auster is shit btw.

Still 15 guests on my count. Either its a remarkable coincidence or they're as thick as shit and take ten years to read a few hundred words.

No idea what happened to that! I'm falling behind on my NG goss, still haven't even caught up enough to see his Doctor Who episode.

Paul Auster is rolling in shit.

Neverwhere isn't one of my favourites, though I personally think it's far from rubbish. I'm in the weird position of never having been let down by Gaiman.

Speaking of his books being made for the screen, I've just read on IMDB that Neil Jordan is making 'The Graveyard Book', though nothing else has been confirmed about it yet. Personally I think that's a disaster.. although he's the right kind of director, he just never seems to get anything right in my opinion. He's like the "nearly made a good film" director, and by consistently missing the mark in fact makes quite bad films. I really hope he proves me wrong because I adored the book. Nobody Owens is one of my favourite kid heroes!

Finally got around to reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

600+ pages of MEHHHHH

I might have liked it if I discovered it as a teenager and the man has got more ideas on a page then I'd have in a decade but he really doesn't do anything with the material, everything is so woefully underdeveloped and surface level.

It's a pity, I liked the lead in it and some of the less fantasy sections of the book were quite enjoyable, just all the Gods stuff was such badly thought out nonsense. bah.

i thought it was good, aside from one major "wait - that was it?" moment

Exclusive: Bryan Fuller on American Gods casting

Finally got around to reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

600+ pages of MEHHHHH

I might have liked it if I discovered it as a teenager and the man has got more ideas on a page then I'd have in a decade but he really doesn't do anything with the material, everything is so woefully underdeveloped and surface level.

It's a pity, I liked the lead in it and some of the less fantasy sections of the book were quite enjoyable, just all the Gods stuff was such badly thought out nonsense. bah.

I have similar feelings. Don't tell @jonah (too late!) - I've a feeling she's a fan. Would like to try more Gaiman, but don't know where to start. He has a great short story about forgetting.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5918839/must-read-neil-gaimans-tribute-to-ray-bradbury

Gillian Anderson has joined the cast of Starz's TV series adaptation of Neil Gaiman's novel "American Gods".

[...]

Anderson will play Media, the perky and always in control mouthpiece for the New Gods, who functions as their public face and sales representative. Taking the form of various iconic celebrities, she lives off the attention and worship that people give to screens. She can also spin stories in whatever direction best suits her.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/43380/gillian-anderson-joins-american-gods

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I wasn't mad about this at all. A bit because of the blood, a bit because of whoever they left in charge of the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back