Fresh or dried porcini mushrooms? (1 Viewer)

Lefty Frizzell

Is there a huge difference between fresh and dried when cooked?

Wheres a good place to pick up either in Dublin?

Thanks.

I've only ever used the dried ones, mostly because the recipes I use 'em in I learned with the dried ones, so sticking to what I know.

Got 'em in Superquinn last time, but that was last year.

Is there a huge difference between fresh and dried when cooked?

Wheres a good place to pick up either in Dublin?

Thanks.
I could well be mistaken on this, but as far as I know fresh is supposed to be better but more expensive and less readily available. Dried is supposed to be a good alternative.

As always with fancy food threads, the answer to your second question is - Try Fallon & Byrne.

Fuck it i'm gonna go with the dried ones. Its for a risotto so i'm sure all that wine and stock will put a bit of life into them.

Fuck it i'm gonna go with the dried ones. Its for a risotto so i'm sure all that wine and stock will put a bit of life into them.
I'd say so. Funnily enough, I was just researching the risotto I'm going to make for the missus on Thursday. It's the caulliflower one from here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2002/jan/12/foodanddrink.shopping

I'm going to make the puree on Wednesday, and if it goes tits up, I'll just make a basic recipe. I've some homemade chicken stock, so I'm sure it will be nice either way.

I'd say so. Funnily enough, I was just researching the risotto I'm going to make for the missus on Thursday. It's the caulliflower one from here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2002/jan/12/foodanddrink.shopping

I'm going to make the puree on Wednesday, and if it goes tits up, I'll just make a basic recipe. I've some homemade chicken stock, so I'm sure it will be nice either way.

Brilliant. I watched his search for perfection show over the weekend and he made a nice risotto. Well it looked nice.

I'll follow that recipe.

Also, a dusting of chocolate powder works quite brilliantly - honest.

ha i'd rather get the basics down first.

Incidentally, Nigel Slater, who I trust on these matters, reckons there's no point in using expensive mushrooms in risottos, cheap button ones work just as well for them.

I was thinking of just pan frying some salmon chunks and lashing them into the risotto for the last 30 seconds.

The seafood risotto in dunne and crescenzi is v good.

my mum has found some place in dublin that sells dried porcini very cheap. she gave me a couple of bags to take with me after christmas and i've just used some and discovered why they're cheap. they're lousy with tiny worms.
i've now found out that porcini are graded according to freshness, and level of worm infestation.

http://www.kingofmushrooms.com/Facts/Data/gradeporcini.html

i've spent the last hour picking tiny worms out of a big pot of pasta sauce i threw about a large handful's worth of soaked mushrooms into - i only noticed the worms in the dregs of the water i steeped them in after adding them to the pot...i'm still gonna eat it but i might gag every now and again....

not sure if i should tell my mum...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back