What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (5 Viewers)

tried those back in my teens. Made it to Wizard and Glass and I was completely spent by then.

I remember the first 3 being really really good.

This going to be a film (series of films), or TV series soon, isn't it?
I love them, I read the first four (up to Wizard and Glass) maybe up to four times and then the last three once. This is my first time re-reading the whole thing together. And also my first time reading The Wind Through the Keyhole, which King wrote after he had finished the series and fits in between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of Calla. It's patchy but good, W&G is my favourite and possibly my favourite Stephen King book at that.

As for the film thing, last I heard it was Idris Elba as Roland and Matthew McCanaughyghgyghgy as the Man in Black and it was going to be a mix of films and HBO series rather than all films or all TV series. I don't know how I feel about it, it's either going to be amazing or it won't translate at all to the screen.

9780374247720_custom-258e45a95028620bf67975139ff9ad2e5256318d-s400-c85.jpg

As recommended by @7 - No tomorrow (have you bought it?)
Hmmmm, strange, I'm seven chapters in already so its obviously very readable but I don't know, its not engaging me really. There's nothing new in it essentially, it might be better suited to the casual observer of Russia rather than the crazed Russophile.

Im reading that next. Interesting mmmmmm.

Sounds great!

Although hard to read "with YA themes" as meant in a positive way. Can we call it a Bildungsroman to make it sound more literary?

Ha! You've called me before on my YA references! I really must stop using them. Had to look up bildungsroman, and have to hand it to the Germans - great word!

One of the narrators is a 13 year old girl dealing with heavy shit at home and in school, which is where I was coming from.

Started the first of the Clifden Chronicles by Jeffrey Archer.

Bit early to call it but it's looking like a ripping yarn

I'm only about 20 pages into it so two stories. Both good, he was a good mate of HP Lovecraft and I can already see how they influenced each other. Will give a more thorough appraisal in a few days.

Nice one, not usually into fantasy but like I say, the cover appeals to me.

Started the first of the Clifden Chronicles by Jeffrey Archer.

Bit early to call it but it's looking like a ripping yarn

Great interviewee that guy, comes across as sound.

Nice one, not usually into fantasy but like I say, the cover appeals to me.
The cover painting is by the author. It's not really fantasy in Tolkien/Martin way, it's more of a mix of fairy tale, cosmic horror and even elements of science fiction. I'm loving it so far.

Sounds really good!

I have about 14 books on the go at the moment, i'm fuppin ridiculous.
I'm trying to keep it to two at a time: paperbacks for the Luas/work (a lot of my work is spending 2-3 minutes setting something up and then waiting 10-15 minutes before repeating it by 20; hence lots of reading time while being productive) and a hardback/big volume for home.

Am reading Hodges Figgis/Waterstones Childrens book of the month, The Girl of Ink and Stars, which so far is utter shite:

27973757.jpg

also reading this yoke (more of a text book/history on "male terror") which is, uh, comprehensive:

no-go-the-bogeyman-scaring-lulling-and-making-mock.jpg

Last edited:
next up, this

3342ea0abae14a110b71ba0fd43fcf70.jpg

abandoned this 2/3s of the way through. Just lost interest. I'll return to it at some stage. It was written in the 1940s by some lad who is clearly thinking in Spanish as he's writing in English. That, and the fact that folks wrote and thought a little differently 70 years ago, doesn't exactly lend itself to building momentum while reading.

Just finished a collection of short stories from Thomas Morris. Short stories aren't for everyone, but I've got more into them in recent years. And, this is really, really, really good.

Entertaining, moving and very close to the bone - in that I could identify somewhat with the protagonists (mostly men with relationship/life problems) and what they are going through.

I had a proof copy with a plain orange/ yellow cover, so I took a paint brush to it. I know! What age am I? Six?

Morris.jpg

The new proper paperback is out now - and has a fine cover...

13310471_10209992475795481_3645689052605630931_n.jpg

Just finished Black Postcards which is Dean Wareham's delightfully bitchy memoir of his time in Galaxie 500 and Luna. Very funny.
41rS6eDuOGL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Next up is Don Winslow's The Power of the Dog, which is about the rise of drug cartels in Mexico. So far it's really good.
power_of_dog_1__130131234117.jpg

Lili Marlene said:
Ugh, I've started Ulysses for a book club thingy.

A year later and this is still ongoing, the book club fell apart for ages and is only getting back together now. I had to go reread a whole pile to remember what was going on. Ulysses is hard : (

Finally finished this today.

Fuckin' Ulysses. A year and a half of on and off reading and irregular guilt club meetups. Only 2 of us made it to the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back