Losing Weight (1 Viewer)

As was said earlier on weight training isn't necessarily a good way to go. I did it for 7 months a few years back after I began Judo and ended up a stone and a half heavier then when I started (I was in obvious better shape but I was 21.5 stone which even with my height and frame is not good to be).

Cut as much shit (biscuits, chocolate, crisps) out of your diet as possible, it's obvious but it's a simple lifestyle change that can have a dramatic impact. At the same time don't make such a dramatic change that you find yourself miserably eating horrible shit that you hate the taste of because you'll just slip back into old habits.

Never weigh yourself, you'll know how much progress you're making when you looking the the mirror or your cloths start to fall off.

Walking is a good start but after a while if you want build it up to something a little more strenuous.

For what it's worth I'm reasonably pleased with the slow but steadyish progress I've made with callisthenic bodyweight exercises 4 or so times a week. Squats, press ups, sit ups, leg raises. I'm stronger without becoming musclebound and as someone who would probably still class as a heavweight in any sport you might mention (and likely would be even if I were lean) they're low impact which is a concern for me.

Lastly an option that hasn't been mentioned yet. Become ill, I hear that swine flu is all the rage but there's a lot to be said for the old classics like a good dose of the shits.

Did anyone find weight training beneficial in this regard?

My housemate swears by the weight training. She went from a beachball on legs to a healthy weight and great fitness level a couple of years ago, and has kept the weight off.

Initially she dumped all processed food and booze, and carbs were split into "good" and "bad". I'm not sure what the difference was, it seemed to be more than just refined and unrefined, something to do with how the body broke them down. Portion controlled, high protein meals with lots of fresh veg, esp things like spinach. She took up cross fit, and from there moved into a lot of weight training.

These days she's more chilled on the diet, eats well and enjoys her food, but is mad for the weights, and swears that being in the gym a few times a week is what allows her to have a couple of beers and partake of the baked goods without blowing up again.

She's got into cooking and baking, because you can see exactly what's going into you, and make tasty things that are not filled with transfats or corn syrup.

Snaky's fail safe diet:

Breakfast
Remember, it's really important to start your day off with a nutritious breakfast. It's the most important meal of the day! So breakfast like a king. Try rasher sandwich made with toasted, white bread and a portion of chips. Chips are made of potatoes, which are sort of a vegetable in the sense that they're not meat. Therefore healthy. Everyone knows that! And bread is high in fibre, which is great for the bowels and therefore well healthy.

images

Still hungry? Reward yourself with a fruit danish and a mug of frothy coffee. You've earned it! Plus the fruit in the danish is healthy.

images
images

Elevenses
Now, around 11 a.m., you might start to feel some hunger pangs. This is quite common. Oh hey, we ALL know what that's like! But here's a really great way around ol' grumbly tummy.

images

Some deeeee-licious chocolate-chip cookies will make those pangs go away in no time! Chocolate is ione of Mother Earth's natural wonders, and cookie dough has been found to have cholesterol-reducing properties, according to some scientists there last week.

Lunch
Well. After a full morning of hard work and dieting, you need to lift yourself with a proper lunch. But avoid those sambos and baguettes and instead go for a healthy alternative.

images
images

Pizza was invented by Sicilian paupers who were so fat from chugging pasta that they needed a healthy alternative. Hey! Have you ever seen a fat Italian? Q.E.D. Wash it down with a good-sized glass of cola. It's important to hydrate at all times. Much of we consider to be hunger is actually thirst, and what could be more thirst quenching? Plus cola contains phosphoric acid, which is good for stripping paint but is also fantastic for breaking down all that extra cheese on your pizza. Which is healthy anyway, who said it wasn't?

2:45pm snack

Many people gorge themselves on snacks in the afternoon, fooling themselves into thinking that they are experiencing the "3 o'clock slump". I reccomend a pre-emptive strike. A Mars bar sandwich at 2:45. Bye bye slump!

I couldn't find a picture of this, but here's a picture of a guy ridiculing some salad someone gave him at 3 o'clock, which he didn't need. Because he'd ALREADY had his gooey sambo at 2:45.

images

Salad: 0 Man: 1

Dinner
Well, after all that strenuous and earnest self-denial, you need to wind down your day in a way that's proactive and positive, by not indulging in old habits. For dinner, avoid things like rice, fish, and vegetables. We have proven scientifically why: It is boring. Boring => stress. Stress => comfort eating of large slices of chocolate cake. See? Instead, go for an Irish classic. Bacon and cabbage.

images
images

....without the cabbage. Cabbage is proven to be awful stuff. Don't even go there. Bacon is high in salt, which is good for you because the body requires salt for key activities, such as urination and sweating. Romans used to be paid in salt. Agai: ever seen a fat Italian? Eat the whole thing. With a big feed of mashed spuds.

Yeah.

And then sure, you might as well go for the chocolate cake. Fuck it. Om nom nom.

images

Oh man, that's good.

Late night snack
People will say that late snacking is bad for you, but I've met these people and, quite frankly, they all look like they could use a sandwich. For late snacking, avoid cereals, fruit and other calorific foods like water. Go for a big monster bag of crisps. Again, high in potatoes, oil and salt. Oil which is low in polyunsaturates, and we all know how evil they are.

images

Finish off with a really great-tasting shake! I've heard they're deadly.

images

A really good pair of runners can help ease the damage running causes to knees. I find asics to be the best of the lot.

I'd say you're correct there.All the knackbags round my way sport asics,and those lads can sprint.I seen two of 'em dashing out of the chemist one day.A pair of flyers they were.Air nose na gaoithe,as the say in down the country.

Skip hot drinks in the morning. They prevent your body from burning down fat over the course of the day unless you are doing serious cardio.

My piece of advice is that if you are going to exercise, play a game that you enjoy. It needs to be fun or you won't do it.

I've given up on jogging or going to the gym because pretty soon it becomes a chore and in a moment of weakness I just drop the whole idea. These days I play loads of football. I run around a field for an hour not being aware that my lungs are bursting because I'm so distracted by the game.

Go on a diet. It doesn't have to be anything specific but a diet makes you more conscious of what you're eating and makes you think first before you eat anything. I find not buying the junk food is the best way to not eat them. As in if they aren't in the house. That said its when you go into a newsagents or get lunch its the hardest not to pick something up with whatever you're buying.

I found swimming great. If you set a time of twenty mins or so and say you'll do so much in that. Try your best to get there and if not keep aiming for it the next day etc. If the time is limited its stops the pressure to do loads.

Stark naked in front of my mirror
A pudgy person somehow did appear
Seems lately all I've eaten sugar and fat
It's getting obvious that's not where it's at
A big pot and tripley chin
Oh what condition my condition was in
Laughing at myself at what a crying shame
What ever happened to my Greek godly frame

Snaky's fail safe diet:

Breakfast
Remember, it's really important to start your day off with a nutritious breakfast. It's the most important meal of the day! So breakfast like a king. Try rasher sandwich made with toasted, white bread and a portion of chips. Chips are made of potatoes, which are sort of a vegetable in the sense that they're not meat. Therefore healthy. Everyone knows that! And bread is high in fibre, which is great for the bowels and therefore well healthy.

images

Still hungry? Reward yourself with a fruit danish and a mug of frothy coffee. You've earned it! Plus the fruit in the danish is healthy.

images
images

Elevenses
Now, around 11 a.m., you might start to feel some hunger pangs. This is quite common. Oh hey, we ALL know what that's like! But here's a really great way around ol' grumbly tummy.

images

Some deeeee-licious chocolate-chip cookies will make those pangs go away in no time! Chocolate is ione of Mother Earth's natural wonders, and cookie dough has been found to have cholesterol-reducing properties, according to some scientists there last week.

Lunch
Well. After a full morning of hard work and dieting, you need to lift yourself with a proper lunch. But avoid those sambos and baguettes and instead go for a healthy alternative.

images
images

Pizza was invented by Sicilian paupers who were so fat from chugging pasta that they needed a healthy alternative. Hey! Have you ever seen a fat Italian? Q.E.D. Wash it down with a good-sized glass of cola. It's important to hydrate at all times. Much of we consider to be hunger is actually thirst, and what could be more thirst quenching? Plus cola contains phosphoric acid, which is good for stripping paint but is also fantastic for breaking down all that extra cheese on your pizza. Which is healthy anyway, who said it wasn't?

2:45pm snack

Many people gorge themselves on snacks in the afternoon, fooling themselves into thinking that they are experiencing the "3 o'clock slump". I reccomend a pre-emptive strike. A Mars bar sandwich at 2:45. Bye bye slump!

I couldn't find a picture of this, but here's a picture of a guy ridiculing some salad someone gave him at 3 o'clock, which he didn't need. Because he'd ALREADY had his gooey sambo at 2:45.

images

Salad: 0 Man: 1

Dinner
Well, after all that strenuous and earnest self-denial, you need to wind down your day in a way that's proactive and positive, by not indulging in old habits. For dinner, avoid things like rice, fish, and vegetables. We have proven scientifically why: It is boring. Boring => stress. Stress => comfort eating of large slices of chocolate cake. See? Instead, go for an Irish classic. Bacon and cabbage.

images
images

....without the cabbage. Cabbage is proven to be awful stuff. Don't even go there. Bacon is high in salt, which is good for you because the body requires salt for key activities, such as urination and sweating. Romans used to be paid in salt. Agai: ever seen a fat Italian? Eat the whole thing. With a big feed of mashed spuds.

Yeah.

And then sure, you might as well go for the chocolate cake. Fuck it. Om nom nom.

images

Oh man, that's good.

Late night snack
People will say that late snacking is bad for you, but I've met these people and, quite frankly, they all look like they could use a sandwich. For late snacking, avoid cereals, fruit and other calorific foods like water. Go for a big monster bag of crisps. Again, high in potatoes, oil and salt. Oil which is low in polyunsaturates, and we all know how evil they are.

images

Finish off with a really great-tasting shake! I've heard they're deadly.

images
Bring back @snakybus

Kind of bad news for those looking to drop lbs

Monday's story was all about how your body actively fights to put back weight you lose, with all manner of tricks - slowing your metabolism, making you hungry.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

After a freakout in the comments (along the lines of "Well, what fucking does work then?"), they talked to doctors about what works. The answer seems to be 'nothing'

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/05/health/short-answers-to-hard-questions-about-weight-loss.html

Every study they've done, pretty much everyone fails.
They revert to anecdotal evidence for success stories.

I know people getting surgery to fight this. It's so fucked.

It's one thing not getting a ride and looking like shit, but diabetes, heart disease and all that joint pain and so on.
Hell of a death sentence; your own body preventing you from getting healthier.

My friend just had surgery in Feb. and it was tough as fuck on her. I'm hoping it works, if only for the godawful suffering she's gone through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back