DAVID BOWIE (10 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 64
  • Views 6K
  • Watchers 5
He was a very visual artist and, very VERY UNBELIEVABLY broadly speaking, women tend to have a bit more of an interest in that side of things than men.

Hardcore prince fans are about equal male and female. The men all want to talk about unappreciated he is by baby boomer rock critics who could be convinced if Prince would only release the Moonbeam Levels bootleg version from 1983 while the women just want to talk about how dreamy his haircut was in 1990. I try and strike a balance meself.

He was a very visual artist and, very VERY UNBELIEVABLY broadly speaking, women tend to have a bit more of an interest in that side of things than men.

Hardcore prince fans are about equal male and female. The men all want to talk about unappreciated he is by baby boomer rock critics who could be convinced if Prince would only release the Moonbeam Levels bootleg version from 1983 while the women just want to talk about how dreamy his haircut was in 1990. I try and strike a balance meself.

I read somewhere once (also very VERY UNBELIEVABLY broadly speaking) that when it comes to music, men want to be impressed and women want to be entertained. For me, Bowie always seemed to fall into the former camp, while Prince, as you say, probably struck a good balance.

The only Bowie fans I ever knew growing up, were all male

My cousin was the first Bowie fan I knew. I don't even think she listened to anyone else.
My ex went as David Bowie for Halloween last year. My other friend has a dance night for her and her friends called Heroes that usually has Bowie on the flyer. I have two (TWO!) female friends with cats called Bowie.

I think the evidence is fairly insurmountable here.

Is David Bowie mainly for girls?
I would think he appeals pretty fairly across the genders tbh. The whole androgynous image in his early 70s period certainly helped corner the female market I would have thought. Growing up, my sisters and brothers loved his music equally. I know other women who were mad into him when younger and still are now; equally I have male friends who are still as obsessed with him now as they were as teens; which goes for me too.
I think some of the other comments here are spot on too - there might be a small element of truth in that men get anoraky and women just want to dance to a good tune (though that's ridiculously reductive, not to mention sexist), but with Bowie, I think his music, and his approach to it, is able to speak to both male/female worlds.

I Can't Read rarely gets mentioned - great chorus
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Picked up a copy of TM2 there recently. My assumption was that it was considered better than TM1 but I think the first lp knocks it for six. Some great tunes on there. Under The God is fucking fantastic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back