The Simpsons (1 Viewer)

Far longer. The last time i remember really enjoying an episode was the one with "See My Vest" in, which was season six and it's now on season 19. Jesus.

the movie will be rubbish too.

Homes causes the apocalypse. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz

It's a shame its soiling its legacy.

I rememer the first signs of it getting shit were when there would be one or two bad episodes per season(think this might have been around the time when they did that episode with Krusty's daughter voiced by Drew Barrymore.

Now its only one or two good episodes per season if you are lucky and the rest are just painfully unfunny.

What is it exactly? Is it that they reference themselves so much or those big fucking ultra long segments they do that reference something boring from pop culture (remember Bart doing the White Stripes durmming, that was funny how exactly?) Or maybe its that they are trying so hard to add depth to the characters. Or that they try so hard to be smart and fail.

AH well to paraphrase Troy McClure, "They'll keep making episodes as long as its profitable".

a lot of people signal the downfall of the simpsons to ian maxtone graham who came on board as an executive producer around season 6.
he introduced this terrible habit of laying exposition on what was going on and took away the manic spontaneity of the characters.
the episode that marked the end for me was when maude flanders was killed. that episode is fucking horrible.
simpsons peaked season 2-7.
didnt realised the simpsons are on the 19th season. fucking hell.

Thats interesting about the producer, i always assumed it was Groening playing God with the writing team that gicked it up.

aye, well thats part of it as well. they changed the writing team just after season 4 and you can see a subtle shift in the characters from then on.
matt groening doesnt have as much input as he makes out he does. ultimately its the writers and producers that do the bulk of it. id reckon groening is there as a creative consultant.
apparently the original writing team has been brought back for the movie as well conan o brien.
i wouldnt hold out much hope for it though. the trailers for it are fucking painful.

What annoys me is that the show is still talked about in revered terms - deservedly so for it's deadly episodes - but it's been shit for ten years.

Big long spiel in today's guardian going on about it's cultural significance, it's amazing success, blah blah blah. No mention that's it not funny anymore and hasn't been for ages.

I dislike when Ricky Gervais goes on about hows its still the best thing on tv.
He should know better.

Yes, those trailers are deeply painful. That wrecking ball joke.

Anyone ever read the book Planet Simpson? It's deadly. Written by a guy who loves the show deeply yet agrees its "Golden Age" is sesone 3-8. After that its downhill with the full on celeb appearances (as opposed to the ones where th show made the rules about guests, like Liza Minelli appearing to only say Magies first word). I'll give it to anyone if they want a lend, the books only collecting dust there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back