Sopranos final episodes - SPOILERS WITHIN (1 Viewer)

lets hope there is no movie.

i was a bit dissapointed, but the more i think about it i'm glad they didn't tie it up all neatly.

i just watched it again and i don't see how it's in any way open to interpretation

The problem I have with the 'Tony was shot theory' is that it's based on the assumption that the shots of people entering the restaurant are what Tony is actually seeing.
I don't think any of the final scene is shot with a 'Tony's-eye-view'.
Here's why.

1.The camera is quite close to the door even though Tony is sitting way back in the restaurant.
2. When Carmela enters, she looks behind the camera to the left & then walks past the camera so it's obvious that Tony is behind us, to our left.
3. Then we see a 2nd shot of Carmela walking to the table from further back so it's obvious that both shots can't be from Tony's viewpoint.
4. Just before AJ walks in, Tony is staring at the menu. When AJ enters we see the shot of the door with that other guy walking in front of him.
THEN Tony looks up & then it's back to the same shot of Aj & the guy walking in.
This, in particular, proves that the shots of people walking in were not Tony's viewpoint unless the editor made a serious balls-up.

This means that there is no reason to assume that the 11 seconds of dark silence at the end are what Tony is seeing (cos nothing else in that scene is what Tony is actually seeing).

So, I reckon the 11 seconds of dark silence are for the viewer.
It's the end of our journey with Tony.
We didn't even see it coming.
It just went black.

I spent way too much time thinking about this in work today...................

well, i wasn't suggesting that they had the camera in his exact seat - just that we were seeing what he was seeing, i.e. whoever was coming through the door.

But we see AJ walk in while Tony is still looking at the menu so we're not seeing what Tony is seeing.

I'm not saying that Tony definitely didn't die but you said you didn't see how it was open to interpretation.
I was just trying to show how I think it is very much (& probably very deliberately) open to interpretation.

Some people over at digg and other places compared this ending unfavourably with the ending of Six Feet Under. Well I just watched the ending of Six Feet Under and it's the biggest bag of shit I've ever seen.

I think the sudden black-out definitely means Tony's dead. And the fella at the bar in the diner was Phil Leotardo's nephew.

Wiki said:
Contrary to Internet rumor, the suspicious man was credited only as "guy in Members Only jacket" and was played by Paolo Colandrea, a Penndel Pennsylvania pizzaria owner. Colandrea was not a professional actor and had not appeared on the Sopranos, or any other television show, previously. HBO reports that he was hired because "he looked the part".[1] The actor who originally played Nikki in Season 6 episodes has signed a disclosure agreement not to appear as a creditted member and for contractual reasons did not appear in the finale. The removal of Nikki Leotardo from previous credits in Season 6 was reportedly approved by HBO in order to stir the controversy. Some say also this is to boost DVD sales of Season 6 (citation needed) as Nikki Leotardo Jr. and Sr. are repeatedly referenced in the "Members Only" Episode."

Dont know if it has been posted already

"Sopranos" fans who thought the series' open-ended conclusion was a setup for a movie may be in for disappointment: creator David Chase says it isn't so.
Chase went to France before the airing of the much-debated finale of the HBO series because he wanted to avoid what he called "all the Monday morning quarterbacking." But like a true New Jersey loyalist, he granted one interview to The Star-Ledger of Newark, which posted his comment early Tuesday on its Web site.
"I don't think about (a movie) much," he told the paper. "I never say never. An idea could pop into my head where I would go, `Wow, that would make a great movie,' but I doubt it.

"I'm not being coy," he added. "If something appeared that really made a good `Sopranos' movie and you could invest in it and everybody else wanted to do it, I would do it. But I think we've kind of said it and done it."
Chase said he would leave it to fans to interpret the show's last scene for themselves. It featured the members of the Soprano family arriving for dinner as Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" plays. Others in the restaurant include a man in a Member's Only jacket who goes to the bathroom, which some fans have interpreted as a nod to the scene in "The Godfather" in which Michael Corleone retrieves a gun from thebathroom before a shooting.
As the music and tension build, the screen suddenly goes silent and dark.
"I have no interest in explaining, defending, reinterpreting, or adding to what is there," said Chase, 61, who grew up in North Caldwell.
"People get the impression that you're trying to (mess) with them, and it's not true. You're trying to entertain them," he said. "Anybody who wants to watch it, it's all there."
Another problem with a movie is that so many characters died in the last season. Chase said he has considered "going back to a day in 2006 that you didn't see, but then (Tony's children) would be older than they were then andyou would know that Tony doesn't get killed. It's got problems."
Chase also elaborated on how he decided to make the Journey classic the last music played on the series.
"It didn't take much time at all to pick it, but there was a lot of conversation after the fact. I did something I'd never done before: In the location van, with the crew, I was saying, `What do you think?' When I said, `Don't Stop Believin',' people went, `What? Oh my God!'
"I said, `I know, I know, just give a listen,' and little by little, people started coming around."

But we see AJ walk in while Tony is still looking at the menu so we're not seeing what Tony is seeing.

I'm not saying that Tony definitely didn't die but you said you didn't see how it was open to interpretation.
I was just trying to show how I think it is very much (& probably very deliberately) open to interpretation.

ah man, you're totally over analysing it.

This is the sopranos, not lost!

Thought the ending was great and liked how everything wasn't tied up......just like life.

I do think its most likely he got killed though. I'm open to the interpretation factor but I'd lean more towards him getting whacked. Either way the show is finished and unless they did a movie (meaning they'd need Tony to be alive) I'm gonna stick by the whacked side of things.

Otherwise the suggestion is there that the rest of Tony's life will just be more of the same. Looking around for shady characters all the time, waiting for his time to come.

Although while I write this I think back to all the original theories people have always had about how the SOPRANOS would end which was generally either Tony gets shot or Tony goes to prison. I like the "life goes on" one more and shit happens along the way such as people getting killed like how has happened throughout the entire show and in the last few episodes such as Chris and Bobby getting killed.

I'll have to watch the ending again though.
Either Tony gets killed at the exact moment the bell rings or they decided to cut us the viewers out of the Sopranos life at the moment knowing that their lives will continue in fucked up ways.

the suggestion is there that the rest of Tony's life will just be more of the same. Looking around for shady characters all the time, waiting for his time to come.

Either Tony gets killed at the exact moment the bell rings or they decided to cut us the viewers out of the Sopranos life at the moment knowing that their lives will continue in fucked up ways.

Yeah, I was in the 'life goes on' camp when I first saw it. As the song said 'It goes on and on and on and on'. The abruptness of the ending though, the allusion to Godfather, the 'members only' aspect... I guess it's deliberately set up to be open to our own interpretations...

Just watched it now. Lefty, why do you need a definitive ending? Things carry on.
I thought it was an amazing ending, but holy shit the editing was all over the place. did you see that bit where he AJ says 'don't tell Mom' about him joining the army then quick as a flash he's telling Carmela 'He's joining the fucking army' then boom they're at the psychiatrist. Awful stuff.
But nobodies mentioned the indictment? I agree with Pete that his options were laid out by the other characters, but that the game's up with Carlo and he's resigned to prison or death.

I don't think the editing was bad - as far as the aj stuff goes, I think it was intended to be representative of his rather uhhhmm "erratic" life & thought processes; the way he hops from idea to idea of what he's going to do with his future.

Someone should have told him that they don't speak arabic in afghanistan though.

Someone should have told him that they don't speak arabic in afghanistan though.

hehe. never thought of that.

I'm talking about how they jump from Tony/AJ to Tony/Carmela and then to them before the psychiatrist. It's just chopped to shit.
That doesn't relate to AJ's state of mind in any way.

PS - what with this digg.com site anyway?
"I thought the cat was a reincarnated Christopher." FFS

The cat was weird, a bit Twin Peaks, possibly was meant to be somehow symbolic of Adrianna or Chris. Also weirdly edited was the background sound, whistling wind and all that. Kind of suggested death or purgatory, as did the opening image of Tony lying on his back (as in a coffin) and the subsequent dirge-like organ sounds which came from his alarm clock. Don't think Chase set out to short-change the fans, funny how many people are giving him grief on the net now for the ending, as if the only thing of import in an excellent series that ran for 6 seasons is the final five minutes? A sort of notion that the only reason for watching it every week is a sort of investment for a killer ending that will make it all worthwhile?

Personally my only issue with the ending was that perhaps it was a little bit too tricksy. I believe Tony was most likely shot, but another thing that puzzles me was the expression on Meadow's face as she ran across the road. A look of real anxiety and panic. What was that all about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back