Jaysus cycling! (3 Viewers)

oh, if you're cycling around town, just go for the normal flat pedals. It'd be way too much hassle clipping in and out the whole time. Thats what I have on my work bike (hybrid). I have the KEO's on the road bike which I only use for longer, non-city, spins.

I ride around NYC all the time clipped in. You get to jump everyone at lights, and its much easier to jump the bike about over crap / holes in the road.

You can get these shoes that have the cleats really recessed in, and then normal grippy stuff all around. The only difference you will notice is that your gait is a little formal. Other than that they are fine, I played a game of "soccer" in them once even.

Watch any stage of a bike race, and watch the rate the pedal. Light and quick, that's what keeps your knees in good shape.

ooh, interesting. i have an occasionally tetchy right knee, i should keep an eye on that.

i've been staying in my parents' house while my house is full of builders - my cycle to and from work is now about twice as far, and involves a large hill. i've been really amazed by how much easier it's got after a couple of weeks. hoorah for cycling.

that said, the bike is currently in the doghouse, having rewarded me for giving it a new tube in the back tyre by literally disintegrating under me in the ifsc. bolt holding on the saddle sheared. cue minka stopping very very very suddenly, while bits of saddle rain around her. i'm sure it must have been hee-larious for passers-by. saddle now held on by bolt donated by kindly man in hardware shop, though i really must go back to the shop where i bought it and get a bolt that i can actually tighten properly.

*plans indignant visit to cycleways*

ooh, interesting. i have an occasionally tetchy right knee, i should keep an eye on that.

i've been staying in my parents' house while my house is full of builders - my cycle to and from work is now about twice as far, and involves a large hill. i've been really amazed by how much easier it's got after a couple of weeks. hoorah for cycling.

Once again... a decent pair of pedals will also help you here Minka.
They will allow you to spin more easily,
They will position your foot properly over the pedal, which means there is less strain on your joints. (Get the guy in the shop to help you, the ball of your foot should be directly above the pedal axle.)
And, most importantly, the pedal will allow your foot float and not lock it in one position like you have when you are not clipped in.
Unless you are perfect, your leg will not move exactly up and down. There will be some in / out / twisting movement. This is is the damaging bit, not the actual pedaling. If you are in SPDs say, you will twist at the foot / pedal interface. If you are not, you will try to twist at your knee.

I want to cycle to school. its about 8km away which is nothing, on flat land. steep hills and windy roads and people driving too fast and 5 stone schoolbag, its all a little scary. im gonna try and give it a go on saturday, fo real.

I want to cycle to school. its about 8km away which is nothing, on flat land. steep hills and windy roads and people driving too fast and 5 stone schoolbag, its all a little scary. im gonna try and give it a go on saturday, fo real.

Good plan to try it out first. You should be fine though. When I was about 18 or 19 I used to cycle 16 miles on similar roads to work and back every day. You get used to it after a while. Main thing is to keep your ears open, had to drag the bike into the ditch a few times to avoid a speeding lorry. Re the schoolbag... a carrier or pannier could be a total lifesaver, but failing that get a backpack with a mesh back so that it breaths. Nothing worse than a massive sweatpatch where a backpack has been.

i miss my bike. well, i miss having any bike, really. roads too narrow for learner driver + no bike + no public transport = trapped.

birthday soon. *ponders*

RE: raising the saddle so your feet touch the pedals properly....

I'm a big tall guy, if I raise the saddle as high as suggested, I'm going to do my back in. What should I do? Raise the handlebars or something?

What-ho old bean!

I say these omnibus operators are rather fond of squeezing one against the footpath. Why, Tuesday fortnight ago I landed directly atop Mrs. Jollyfeather as she strolled to the opium store.

I'm a big tall guy, if I raise the saddle as high as suggested, I'm going to do my back in. What should I do? Raise the handlebars or something?

supposedly this is a good rough estimate, i ve done it and no back problems to speak of. my bars are real low / i'm 6 foot 4

measure your inside leg in cms and multiply by 0.833

the result is how high from the centre of the bottom bracket your saddle should (roughly) be

i ran the measurement along the seat tube (this might not be right though)

I've not used that rough estimate but it sounds about right. Is the frame big enough for ya in the first place though? Other than that your leg should be just less than fully extended when you're comfortably on the saddle/pedals. My seat's a good few inches higher than the handlebars too.

Agree with this. Have upgraded from SPD's to Look KEOs recently. SPDs are a good place to start.

I can't wait til this thread turns into a discussion about how best to shave one's legs!!

Well it is coming into the summer after all and the leg warmers will soon have to be shed, so it may be high time to invest in the Veet (ow!) !

haha sleeveles jersies equal under arm shaving or at least cropping too.

Sarah-you mean a women specific geometry frame or an actual ladies bike?

supposedly this is a good rough estimate, i ve done it and no back problems to speak of. my bars are real low / i'm 6 foot 4

Jaysus. Ye fucking horse.

What I was goin g to say to the other poster was, you might want to stick on a longer stem too. And trick about with how far back your saddle is in the seat post.

And... Veet?? Shaving was usually the only way I could get my legs clean after races. What's funny is the first spin you go out on with the legs shaved... you feel a bit cold.

i've not yet succumbed to the temptation to shave my legs though due to an accident when i was 9 or 10,k my left lkeg is pretty hairless as it is (not totally hairless though)

i'#m also looking to double the amount of my weekly cycles (from 7km to 14km)while now in the long evenings, maybe try to get out on week nights aswell

i tend to go up hills alot more c omfortably (no terrain is comfortable especially when SUV drivers think the top of hills are good pl;aces to pass when you can't see if you're going to crash with another vehicle coming up the other side. damn i hate suv drivers) then i do riding on the flat but that's mainly due to the gear i use (not a fan of using gears. i kid myself by telling myself it improves rhythm)

the other tricky area is on the last 2km to my house as there are sheep fields there and generally the sheep tend to escape and block the road causing havoc for me

can we ban sheep and suv's?

the reason womens' bikes have traditionally had the dropped top tube is only to allow women in skirts to climb on without impinging their modesty. but you probably knew that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back