Jaysus cycling! (3 Viewers)

what side of the city are you living on? I do quite a bit around Wicklow (Blessington side) and can put you onto some good routes down that way. There are other good ones out by North county Dublin, but I wouldn't be as familiar with those.
South, but only just. Was thinking about some wicklow action alright, ones that can be accessed with thin road-tires, thanks!

I eventually wanna be able to cycle the 5 miles to college and then back but I guess I'm going to have to build up to that sort of distant slowly enough.
You'll be surprised! I got one last month, the first time I'd cycled in twenty years! I was terrified at first, and very achey. After I'd been on it a week I cycled from Harold's Cross to Dun Laoghire and back! I love my bike, I don't know why I didn't get back into it sooner. I suppose I thougth the traffic here was too mental, but actually it's not that bad. It's the pedestrians stepping off the pavement in front of you that's the the problem...

Any tips where to go cycling?
Check out bikely.com. Great site for cycling routes worldwide, and you can work out your own milage (or kilometerage). I went out to Howth last week via Marino, Clontarf etc, there's an off-road cycle path most of the way. Plus it's a fairly flat run so you won't get too achey.

South, but only just. Was thinking about some wicklow action alright, ones that can be accessed with thin road-tires, thanks!

the road surface will vary depending on where you are (obviously), but generally you'll be fine. Thats what I use when I head down to Wicklow.

A good starter route is to head out the Tallaght bypass, out past the embankment, and up Crooksling hill. That will take you most of the way to Brittas Village. When there, you can turn around and come back in, turn left across to Ballinascorney (hilly route) and over to Bohernabreena in Tallaght and come back in that way, or else stay going on as far as Blessington.

If you're up for more miles, about 100 yards beyond Brittas is a left turn (by the South Dublin golf club). That road will take you down into Kilbride. If you follow that road down to the end, turn right at the T junction, then left (into the village itself), then turn right at the end of the village, there is a go 7-8km of road that will eventually bring you up to the blessington lakes.

If you've had enough at that stage, stay going straight into Blessington village, then head for home. Otherwise, take the left and head across the bridge over the lake. Turn right, and head around the lakes (the lake drive). Its a beautiful spin around and will take approx 50 mins to get back to blessington.

If you master those distances there are other variations you can factor in, such as the sally gap (which is about 10-12km from Kilbride).

Its a lovely part of the country though, and you'll find lots of people on those routes. Best of luck with it.

I really want to get started on cycling for fitness over the summer: I've been running for most of the year but I've always found the bike to be more enjoyable. It's a good all-round workout too, apparently.

I love cycling too couldn't imagine any other type of transport that's so hassle free shame it only mixes with certain types of outfits though.

on the all round fitness part I totally disagree... maybe if your running already
but when I go swimming my weedy arms give up and I'm out of breath after a few laps, whereas I can cycle for long time before hitting that level of exhaustion.

last time I was in the markiewiz (sp?) a little chinese guy was laughing at me puffing up and down the pool..:rolleyes:

I love cycling too couldn't imagine any other type of transport that's so hassle free shame it only mixes with certain types of outfits though.

on the all round fitness part I totally disagree... maybe if your running already
but when I go swimming my weedy arms give up and I'm out of breath after a few laps, whereas I can cycle for long time before hitting that level of exhaustion.

last time I was in the markiewiz (sp?) a little chinese guy was laughing at me puffing up and down the pool..:rolleyes:

I find swimming to be all about technique, I know shag all about the sport, but if I swim in one way I can do about three or four laps before sinking with exhaustion, and if I change my method slightly (and do the same stroke) I can get 25-30 laps done going only slightly slower.

I do think also that if you get out of breath after a few laps of swimming you've probably gained nothing from the workout, and if you cycle for an hour or two and end up with the same amount of fatigue you've probably gained an awful lot! :)

I've got one of these.
bc5700.jpg

No idea what the distance on it is (miles or kilometers) but i do ten clicks in a half an hour about three or four times a week. Great for the hangovers. Gets boring but i find it easy if i combine it with playing games on the internet that don't take too much concentration - the half hour flys by. Looking forward to getting a road bike once i have some cash, or once herself's father asks for the above back.

I'd like an exercise bike as well. Hmmm SSIA money on the way. I get very self-conscious when I'm out cycling. I've been thinking of getting up really early in the mornings or going out late at night when there are fuck all people about and having a cycle around.

I'd like an exercise bike as well. Hmmm SSIA money on the way. I get very self-conscious when I'm out cycling. I've been thinking of getting up really early in the mornings or going out late at night when there are fuck all people about and having a cycle around.

get some good lights yo

why so? do you live where all the beautiful people live?

to hell with that. Who'll be looking at ya?

cycling is absolutely lovely. i've been cycling for the last 4 months everyday to work from blanch to finglas i go along the canal for a bit and fuck i really got into water (thank god for the camera) nature i was naturally into of course and after a little while you dont notice the miles fade away from you i always thought i wanted one of those amsterdam bikes as you dont get tired on them but to be honest bar the back stuff you dont notice the miles. i've started to go out to the countryside a lot more lately further afield each time and you dont notice it and its not tlike the gym where if you stop ur fucked its more like if you stop then pick up for 2 days ur back to where you left off. love cycling and pictures:):):):):):):):)

i agree with sarah, it's definitely possible to be capable of cycling around for quite a distance without actually being particularly fit. swimming or running (or cycling while deliberately pushing your limit to raise the heartrate) is important for the old cardio-vascular health.

Well seeing as everybody's posting pics of their bikes, the one on the right is mine:

268576338_48efc07d57.jpg

As is this one:

462923158_66800ffcaa.jpg

I :heart: my bikes. I kinda miss the madness of cycling around Dublin city centre.

I took up my 16mile round trip last week. Rathmines to Coolock and back. It’s grand, not tired at all. A little sweaty sure, but in a good way.
And I’ve only nearly died once so far, so that’s good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back